Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez Fanned fret basses. Nice and cheap!

dave_bass5

Sorry if these have already been discussed, i did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I just came across this (also a 6 string version).

Looks like a nice cheap way to try out fanned frets.

Ok, its not got the Dingwall 37" neck but maybe this wont make much difference to most people (obviously it will to some, same as 34 vs 35" i guess)

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/ibanez_srff805-bks_sr_fanned_fret_bass_5_string_black_stain.asp

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1420394573' post='2648806']
Looks great. I loved the feel of the Dingwall I tried at the bass show a couple of years ago (and had a good old chat with the affable Mr D himself) but the basic tone of the bass did nothing for me sadly.
[/quote]

This what what I found with the Dingwall I owned. The bass was incredible to play but the tone had no character for me.

Saying that. the Fan frets to me made sense when the B scale was 37" but I'm not so sure there would be much of a difference with it only being 35". I could be proven wrong though!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420394159' post='2648800']
Very interesting! I assume you mean 'nice and cheap' as in 'nice and cheaper than a Dingwall' - all things being relative? :D
[/quote]

Actually i meant cheaper AND nicer than the Dingwalls ive seen. For some reason it doesnt look as wonky to me ;-)

Oh, and i suppose almost £800 still isnt that cheap, but it is for this type of bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1420394573' post='2648806']
Looks great. I loved the feel of the Dingwall I tried at the bass show a couple of years ago (and had a good old chat with the affable Mr D himself) but the basic tone of the bass did nothing for me sadly.
[/quote]

I felt the same about a Super (?) Jazz bass i played a couple of years ago at a gig.

The bass felt very nice, but the tone sounded flat and bland to my eyes. I felt it was more aimed at finger playing than my pick playing though.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1420395874' post='2648849']
It's not as "wonky" as there is only 1.5 inches different in scale from the sides. 35.5 to 34

A Dingwall is either 37 to 34 or 35 to 32 depending on model.
[/quote]

Yeah, less Wonkyness = less money lol.

Interesting - I'd need to try it before expressing an opinion.
I agree with skej21, the finish is a bit marmitey (an I no likely either too much!).

35.5", could be a really good low B or F# string length. I think Ibanez must have cost/benefit analyzed different protos, and came out with the dingwall 37" as being not worth it.

That may be because of novax fret system licencing, or manufacturing costs as opposed to the 37" scale not being ideal.
in any case it's interesting, but probably won't hurt Dingwall too much.

First time I've seen a modern ibanez and thought "oooh now..."

I had a BTB 6 string I got in a trade and nearly kept it for the B string alone, but it felt like a coffee table when I wore it.

Unsure if the solid B was a combination of the through neck, the 35 scale or the sheer mass of wood.

This has to be worth a peak.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1420402245' post='2649008']
If they did this fan fretted model in ANY other finish (ie the same finish as the SR500, SR600, SR1200, SR1600 etc etc) I would have bought one but that finish is putrid!!
[/quote]

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page14_jp.php?cat_id=2&series_id=32&data_id=63&color=CL01#.VKnIgsbreUs

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1420439516' post='2649304']

That's a lot prettier to my eyes!
[/quote]

With a pretty price tag to match!

As a previous Dingwall owner I'd like to try one of these (but would no doubt be disappointed in the ridiculously tight string spacing and pencil-thin neck - but that's Ibanez for you!)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1420446331' post='2649338']

As a previous Dingwall owner I'd like to try one of these (but would no doubt be disappointed in the ridiculously tight string spacing and pencil-thin neck - but that's Ibanez for you!)
[/quote]

The tight string spacing and pencil thin neck are the exact reason Id want to try this!! Different strokes, ey?!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1420446331' post='2649338']

[/quote]

Yeah, but if it's a Japanese made product, to Ibanez Japan standards. . . it'll be a serious bass.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1420447210' post='2649344'] Yeah, but if it's a Japanese made product, to Ibanez Japan standards. . . it'll be a serious bass. [/quote]
At that price I can't see it being Japanese, but looks good!