Why become a member? ×

Which of these would you choose?

I have about £700 squirreled away and at present have a bad P bass copy that I have to bang occasionally cos the pick-ups keeping going off :(

Although new to bass I have already acquired GAS and [s]want [/s]need lots of basses, that I won't be able to play very well.

So I have 3 ideas for the money:

a) Spend it all on the highest spec used bass I can find

B) Buy a used bass for about £300 and spend the rest on lessons

c) Fess up to Mrs Bad Sign about the money and let her spend it for me, hoping she will see my need for a new bass with what is leftover after her trip to the Metrocentre.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

PS c) isn't really an option, is It?

Although I usually champion brands such as Cort as being exceptionally good value for money, I'd suggest in your situation going for a Squier Classic Vibe - main reasons being you get a lot of bass for your money and they are really easy to move on (compared to Cort, Aria, even Yamaha) if/when you feel you need a change or an upgrade. They should also be easy to come by - well stocked unlike some of the other brands. Then you have a decent bass and plenty left for lessons/ Mrs Badsign :)[size=4] [/size]

One of the cardinal errors made by many members of this forum (myself included) is to put the acquisition of new equipment before doing anything about improving playing skills. You can buy a very good used bass indeed for £300 - you will have to become a top-drawer player to actually [i]need [/i]anything that costs a lot more than that. And you can keep Mrs Bad Sign happy at the same time. :)

Edit: As mentioned above, a Squier Classic Vibe could be all the bass you ever need.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420297774' post='2647748']
One of the cardinal errors made by many members of this forum (myself included) is to put the acquisition of new equipment before doing anything about improving playing skills. You can buy a very good used bass indeed for £300 - you will have to become a top-drawer player to actually [i]need [/i]anything that costs a lot more than that. And you can keep Mrs Bad Sign happy at the same time. :)
[/quote]

Get out. ;)

[/quote]

+1.

A top of the range bass wont sound so top of the range in inexperienced hands. So my recommendation is to go for option B. Spend some of the remainder on lessons.

FWIW.. as far as bass choices is concerned, check out the G&L Tribute range.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Born under a bad sign' timestamp='1420300582' post='2647799']
Thanks for the advice. I plan to go to a shop tomorrow and will look at the Squiers etc and then find a used bass, based on what I find comfortable. Definitely want some lessons.
[/quote]

So option C is out the window in under an hour is it? :P

You'll get a great 2nd hand bass for well under £300 + 5 lessons for £125. That's £275 left for the Mrs. You know it makes sense and she'll love you for it.

From personal experience, don't be tempted to buy instructional DVDs from famous bass players. I bought a load of them when i started playing and learned absolutely nothing. Get lessons from a real person rather than a famous name showing you how to play their tunes - there's plenty of those for free on Youtube

I'm a full time player and my gigging bass is a Squire PJ with Quarter Pounder pick ups. It plays like a dream and in the tone department it spanks most Fenders I've tried. You don't have to spend stupid money to get a cracking instrument.
And ffs don't 'fess up!!

Buy a Squier classic vibe or vintage modified, really great basses for the money........preferably same or similar colour to your old one, get rid of said old one and just pretend its the same bass.

Don't rush into spending the rest, it could go on lessons an amp, a treat for the other half or even towards a trip away, you'll be in her good books!

Edited by Cygnus x-1

To be totally honest, I beg to differ with most here - I'd go for a). It can make a world of difference to spend 300 or 700 (compared to, say, 1500 vs 3000). I have seen (and bought) many really excellent basses in the 700-1000£ range. Not so many by far in the 300£ range. Decent basses, yes, but not truly excellent. I spent a few years back then fighting instruments thinking that it was my fault, then discovering that a really good bass makes things a lot easier to play. Get a friend who knows the stuff to provide advice - also, crucially, on setting up the bass properly. Just my experience, in any case.

Another vote for option B. You can get some absolute cracking basses for £300 or so. As already mentioned, the Squier Classic Vibes, or even the Squier VMs (I have a Squier VM jazz which is amazing). Then definitely invest in some lessons. If you have a good tutor they're the best place to put your bass money. You'll be able to make a cheap plank of wood sound half decent :) Then once your playing has improved you can treat yourself to a more expensive bass as a reward. And by that time you'll know a bit more about what you'd like to have.

p.s. there's a bloody amazing-to-play grey Fender Aerodyne in Windows in Metro Centre (or there was the Saturday after Christmas) for £657 I think it was. Played very very nice although I found the sound a bit dull and flat for my liking. Almost had it on the 0% interest free option but managed to resist :)

Option A.

Get the best playing, best sounding bass you can afford. It doesn't matter how good you think you are, you'll play and sound a lot better with a good bass.

You have plenty of time to own lots of basses. Your opinions for your collection might change after you've started with the best.

[quote name='Born under a bad sign' timestamp='1420297278' post='2647735'] I have about £700 squirreled away and at present have a bad P bass copy that I have to bang occasionally cos the pick-ups keeping going off :( Although new to bass I have already acquired GAS and [s]want [/s]need lots of basses, that I won't be able to play very well. So I have 3 ideas for the money: a) Spend it all on the highest spec used bass I can find B) Buy a used bass for about £300 and spend the rest on lessons c) Fess up to Mrs Bad Sign about the money and let her spend it for me, hoping she will see my need for a new bass with what is leftover after her trip to the Metrocentre. Your thoughts would be appreciated PS c) isn't really an option, is It? [/quote]

I'd start looking and trying basses within your budget, and buy the one that speaks to you. Yes, they talk. You'll know when you find one that wants to talk to you ;)
It may be that £400 gets you that, hey, and you have lots extra to have the bass setup nicely and some lessons too ;)

Second hand is a very good route, in my opinion, for you'll be able to get a more expensive bass (should that be the one you find you want) and you will not lose much if two months later you find another one you prefer ;)

It's pointless recommending models or whatever as you have to decide. I recently bought a Fender Precision Classic 50, and I think it's lovely, I'm in love with that bass. Other people say the neck is "meh", a bit too wide, or does not feel nice because it's laquered, or... but for *me* it's fantastic.

So, I'd say, try as many basses as you can. Second hand is a bit slower as you'll typically have to travel to someone's house etc, as opposed to going to a shop and testing all of the basses they have... but it's a good way to get a nice deal. I'd try both ways! :)

Edit: As mentioned above, a Squier Classic Vibe could be all the bass you ever need.
[/quote]

Banned!!!

:lol: