Why become a member? ×

Happy Barefaced Retro Two10 Christmas to me

Jenny_Innie

Oh aren't Dad's great. He's off to Europe for Christmas with Mum so I got my present early ....... and here it is. Wow. I'm shocked. I said I wanted some bass gear, and I was expecting a cab. But I didn't think I'd get one of these. Came in the post first thing this morning. It's tiny and quite light, which is great if you're only little like me.

Why do I have to spend all day packing computers when I could be testing my new baby. I think I'll slope off at lunchtime!

[attachment=179160:Front.JPG] [attachment=179161:Frontside.JPG] [attachment=179162:Slope.JPG] [attachment=179163:Back.JPG]

Edited by Jenny_Innie

I've still got the Generation 2 Compact, which my Dad's bass player doesn't seem to interested in having back. He's got a mountain of gear though, so he doesn't need it.

I'll be testing it alone and with the Compact to see how it rolls.

It's a very pretty thing though. They should offer it in other colours though, like red and pink and green and white and stuff. We isn't all old men y'know.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1419327579' post='2638717']
I've been toying with the idea of a 2x10 myself recently, they don't seem to be much heavier than a 1x12 and look like a good choice for a one cab solution..

is that a port on the bottom? I've never seen one there before...
[/quote]

It's got a hole in the side on the right as you look at it which lets you see inside. No idea what that's for, but it looks cool.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1419327708' post='2638719']
It's got a hole in the side on the right as you look at it which lets you see inside. No idea what that's for, but it looks cool.
[/quote]

Looks like a port to me.. if it sounds good on the bottom like that it makes sense to put it there as it means the front panel can be smaller... which is always good. My PC cabs sound good and are light but they are pretty massive because of all the porting on the front.

Anyway, hope it sounds good, post a review when you get a chance.

Edited by CamdenRob

Good old dad, what a hero! I have a super big twin 2, and it's quite simply awesome! The sound of these is second to none. It's the best bass speaker I have ever used, you are going to be really chuffed when you try it. Happy days and happy Christmas to you!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1419327958' post='2638720']

Looks like a port to me.. if it sounds good on the bottom like that it makes sense to put it there as it means the front panel can be smaller... which is always good. My PC cabs sound good and are light but they are pretty massive because of all the porting on the front.

Anyway, hope it sounds good, post a review when you get a chance.
[/quote] wouldnt it be the same size and the ports the same size however they are configured?

By the way, Dad has been in contact with RoqSolid about having a cover made. They don't stock one right now, but said they would make one once I had the cab and could send pics and measurements.

I've spent all afternoon doing that and sent the results off to Bryn at RoqSolid. They are on their Christmas break now until the new year - so it might be a while, but at least I've started the process. I'll provide an update when I hear more about that.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1419350530' post='2639033']

Martin, if you're still in the area, you'd be welcome to pop down and try mine when I get them.
[/quote]

Ah cheers dude - gives us a chance to do a proper A/B vs the Super Compacts I own :) (Obviously comparing apples with oranges...)

Hope all is well!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1419350987' post='2639051']
So the handles are made of tolex? Or is it the feet? We should be told!

Luckily enough, my daughter never saw fit to develop her musical talent.

That means that all the Barefaced cabs around here are mine ...
[/quote]

was just going to say those handles look really badly placed.

only joking, this looks awesome and is an amazing present from a dad. Makes my effort for my kids seem positively sh*t.

Sitting it beside the Compact Gen 2, the handle looks fairly similar, but feels a lot more sturdy and more substantial in build.

The tolex looks a really good job. Not really any tolex grain - which is probably good. Much, much better than Marshall tolex for example. Mum has one of the Marshall "hand built" 2 x 12 Marshall cabs and Dad has quite a few Marshall 4 x 12s. They look as if you could sneeze and the tolex would rip. I'm not gonna take any chances mind, but this looks smoother and more solid.

Yuk to the Compact Gen 2 "lump of coal" finish by comparison. They should consider changing the whole range to this tolex.