Why become a member? ×

Happy Barefaced Retro Two10 Christmas to me

Jenny_Innie

The logo is alright. No better or worse than others I've seen. If you get hung up on that, I suspect it is a 1st World problem. The cab, taken as a whole, looks rather good.

Bit of an update on the cab. I've had a chance to play around with it. I'm sort of changing my mind on it a little bit. Played part of a set with it at the weekend - firstly with a Guild electro acoustic bass along with a sax player, an acoustic geetarist and a brushes drummer. Still using the RH750. It was great.

Then (unexpectedly to me) we cranked up, got rid of the brushes and in came a Telecaster - and it was fine (as a one cab thing). 3/4 of the way 'round the dial on the RH, but still great. i loved the sound.

Mind you, I did put a Line 6 Pod thing in front of it - so maybe a little bit of pre-amp goes a long way? I dunno.

I think, part of the problem might be other Jenny - our drummer. She's a bit on the loud side - which makes the band a bit loud altogether ....... hence me running out of headroom maybe?

Changed my mind a little bit on it. I think, in the right circumstances, it could (even at 12 Ohms) be a one-cabber. Although, still would get a 4 Ohmer if that's all I was gonna have. And I still have in mind that the sound with the Compact is the utter bomb.

I'm now contemplating if I should run with two of these instead of one of these and a Compact. They look cooler, are effectively as light (see my previous comments) and a bit smaller and easier to store. Might look way cool to have two of these.

I shall speak to the man and see wot he says.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1420542848' post='2650383'].I'm now contemplating if I should run with two of these instead of one of these and a Compact. They look cooler, are effectively as light (see my previous comments) and a bit smaller and easier to store. Might look way cool to have two of these.
[/quote]

Wow. 18 years old and all this gear! The rest of your life is going to be very disappointing I fear Jenny... :yarr:

Edited by Conan

• 4 weeks later...

I weighed my Barefaced Retro Two10 the other day and compared it to the weight of the 2nd Gen Compact.

The Retro Two10 has 2 x 10 inc speakers - the Compact has 1 x 15 speaker.

Surprising results. They both weighed [i]exactly[/i] the same. Barefaced says 13kg for the Retro Two 10. It was 13.1kg on my scales with its RoqSolid cover on. They say 12kg for the Gen 2 Compact, but it was 13.1kg - also with its RoqSolid cover on.

The Retro Two10 is easier to carry as it has smaller physical dimensions.

That's all.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1420503107' post='2650186']
can I just interject here and say sorry.

I'm a fussy designer - and I made a comment about a logo that isn't great in my opinion
- but it's also not awful and far worse design horrors have been unleashed on us bass players... warwick up to a few years ago used comic sans as the main typeface on their amps and so on.

Please don't turn this thread into a barefaced slagging one - we've had enough of them. I'm interested in Jenny's new cab, and the new designs generally - I think I've played through about 5 or 6 different barefaced models - 1 I didn't like, 1 was very impressive, 2 were brilliant but not my taste and 1 was one of the best bass cabs I've ever played through. I'ld buy one tomorrow if I had the money. Please don't start the slagging again.

(I was actually thinking - what other UK based, UK build amplification/cab companies do we have? Barefaced, Purple Chilli, Matamp and [i]some [/i]ashdown stuff are all I could think of, does anyone make speakers in the UK still Celestion I guess... and volt which Glockenklang use?)
[/quote]

Luke, if you'd been on basschat back in 2008 you could have designed the logo! I can't find the old thread about it but it was a collaborative affair with deksawyer providing the bulk of the final look. So blame him if you don't like it! ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1423143426' post='2681320']
Luke, if you'd been on basschat back in 2008 you could have designed the logo! I can't find the old thread about it but it was a collaborative affair with deksawyer providing the bulk of the final look. So blame him if you don't like it! ;)
[/quote] :) it wouldn't stop me for one second buying one of your nice cabs (big series ;) ) but I might not buy and wear one of your tshirts as I was playing through it.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423258086' post='2683001']
They do t-shirts?
[/quote]

Indeedy they do.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/T-shirtsandspares.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/T-shirtsandspares.htm[/url]

can't see any pictures, 'though... but I presume they display their beautiful logo (I mean it: I really like the logo!)

This is what I'm talking about. Retro Two10 on top of Generation 2 Compact - driven by RH750. Props.

I like the 2x10 and 1x15 thing. Although, the rig would look prettier if both the cabs looked like the top one.

Maybe I should get a Gen 2 Compact with a silver grill from somewhere? Or I could get another Retro Two10 and see how they go? Might miss the 1x15 though.

[attachment=183341:BeFunky_Cab.jpg.jpg]

Well the theory is keep the same speaker sizes, but in your other post Jenny the sound was so good I wouldn`t chance changing it. Think the silver grill Gen 2 Compact could be an idea - maybe stick an ad in the wanted section for a swap?

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423428468' post='2684689']
This is what I'm talking about. Retro Two10 on top of Generation 2 Compact - driven by RH750. Props.

I like the 2x10 and 1x15 thing. Although, the rig would look prettier if both the cabs looked like the top one.

Maybe I should get a Gen 2 Compact with a silver grill from somewhere? Or I could get another Retro Two10 and see how they go? Might miss the 1x15 though.

[attachment=183341:BeFunky_Cab.jpg.jpg]
[/quote]

You want to get another 2x10 and stack them vertically. Sound revelation. It's like having an 8x10 behind you only with the clarity of a smaller can. And obviously less than half the weight.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423428468' post='2684689']
Maybe I should get a Gen 2 Compact with a silver grill from somewhere?
[/quote]

Or speak to Alex and see if you can get some of the silver cloth to put on your existing Compact?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1420503107' post='2650186']
can I just interject here and say sorry.

I'm a fussy designer - and I made a comment about a logo that isn't great in my opinion
- but it's also not awful and far worse design horrors have been unleashed on us bass players... warwick up to a few years ago used comic sans as the main typeface on their amps and so on.

Please don't turn this thread into a barefaced slagging one - we've had enough of them. I'm interested in Jenny's new cab, and the new designs generally - I think I've played through about 5 or 6 different barefaced models - 1 I didn't like, 1 was very impressive, 2 were brilliant but not my taste and 1 was one of the best bass cabs I've ever played through. I'ld buy one tomorrow if I had the money. Please don't start the slagging again.

(I was actually thinking - what other UK based, UK build amplification/cab companies do we have? Barefaced, Purple Chilli, Matamp and [i]some [/i]ashdown stuff are all I could think of, does anyone make speakers in the UK still Celestion I guess... and volt which Glockenklang use?)
[/quote]Precision Devices make chassis Soeakers in the UK and one of their 12" models is my ideal driver. They also own Fane and although most of the Fane stuff is made in the Far East, some are clearly rebadged PD speakers.

Celestion is owned by a Chinese Company and now all drivers are made there although the designs are still by British Engineers.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1423471010' post='2685026']
You want to get another 2x10 and stack them vertically. Sound revelation. It's like having an 8x10 behind you only with the clarity of a smaller can. And obviously less than half the weight.
[/quote]

Although I read Alex saying somewhere that they can be used that way, but are designed to be horizontal.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1423471372' post='2685030']
Or speak to Alex and see if you can get some of the silver cloth to put on your existing Compact?
[/quote]

Sadly it's impossible to change the grill type once they're built, as the mount for the steel grill takes up the space where the frame for the cloth grill needs to go.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423484443' post='2685255']
Although I read Alex saying somewhere that they can be used that way, but are designed to be horizontal.
[/quote]

I'm glad someone's listening to me! ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1423486416' post='2685305']
Sadly it's impossible to change the grill type once they're built, as the mount for the steel grill takes up the space where the frame for the cloth grill needs to go.
[/quote]

Purely from a cosmetic point of view... could some silver cloth be glued/velcroed/attached over the metal grille?

Not that I would do such a thing - but could it? :o

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1423490613' post='2685415']
Onto something for the next Gen alex!

Changeable skins and grills for cabs ;) Magnet mounted? :P
[/quote]

The plan for the post-CNC Gen 2 cabs was to make it easy to change the grills but we couldn't find an elegant solution - it's a question of having room for a frame that can handle the cloth's tension, having a non-rattly mount for the steel and having space for our very high excursion woofers to move to their mechanical limits (which is a long way out!) We changed the steel grills on the Gen 3 cabs but they're essentially mounted the same way. Might be able to do it on the guitar cabs though...

Edited by alexclaber