Why become a member? ×

What Bass is Nick Fyffe Using here?

40hz

I was always amazed at the sound Zender got out of a warwick (this is not a 'Zender-off' I'm trying to start here!). That first album was all on the Streamer. I think it paved the way for people to come along with rarer or different sounding instruments such as the Zon. I guess back then there were lots of luthiers emerging with new sounds and shapes. I remember drooling over the bass mags as a kid. But for me lots of those modern instruments sound quite 'pokey' in the mix. It's cool that there was lots of nice gear getting played though.

I really liked Nick Fyffe in Jamiroquai, just listened to the Temperance Movement.

Sounds cool, didn't recognise him at all haha.

Great bassist though.

At the end of the above video, the crowd seems to turn on JK...his antics may be why the band never seem to smile 😂

I used to love Jamiroquai but after Synkronized the band ceases to exist for me. That marks the point his ego went through the roof. It's quite funny to see how successful they were, that style of music wouldn't even get within a million miles of the charts today (not that the charts mean anything anymore) yet, Stuart Zender made me pick up bass so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I always felt sorry for Nick, such a great bass player and a seemingly top bloke. He was always on a hiding to nothing following Stuart and given that Jay Kay became more controlling and egotistical over the bands songs, I think he did well to last as long as he did.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1419379212' post='2639478']
I still think Jamiroquai was an obscure musical joke.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1419424535' post='2639816']
Jamiroquai...odd band.
[/quote]
[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1419416393' post='2639683']
I like Jamiroquai but the band never seem to smile or have much fun on stage.
[/quote]

I'm glad someone else thinks so too! I had cause to learn a couple of their numbers for an audition and while I enjoyed the challenge I didn't find myself becoming fond of the songs in the least. In fact the more closely I listened the more I thought they were a bit anodyne and soulless. Which is odd considering that Jamiroquai were presumably a soul band, at least in part. I didn't get the gig, btw. :)

I'd much rather listen to Groovesonix and they're a function band!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1419431818' post='2639904']
I used to love Jamiroquai but after Synkronized the band ceases to exist for me. That marks the point his ego went through the roof. It's quite funny to see how successful they were, that style of music wouldn't even get within a million miles of the charts today (not that the charts mean anything anymore) yet, Stuart Zender made me pick up bass so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I always felt sorry for Nick, such a great bass player and a seemingly top bloke. He was always on a hiding to nothing following Stuart and given that Jay Kay became more controlling and egotistical over the bands songs, I think he did well to last as long as he did.
[/quote]
A few years back we used to chat on Facebook while he was immobilised after a skiing accident. Nick left the band for a very specific reason that I can't go into on here.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I had the pleasure of buying a bass from Nick earlier this year - top fella all-round & couldn't agree more, they were indeed big shoes to fill in [/font][/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jamiroquai[/font][/color][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] but to me he did it with style.[/font][/size]

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1419947235' post='2644188']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I had the pleasure of buying a bass from Nick earlier this year - top fella all-round & couldn't agree more, they were indeed big shoes to fill in [/font][/size][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jamiroquai[/font][/color][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] but to me he did it with style.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Was it a Zon 😂

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1419292188' post='2638553']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5Yq5NmZnw[/media]

Always wondered what this is? A Bass Collection of some sort? Whatever it is, it sounds great!
[/quote]

Especially as he seems to be using one of those ashdowns some people say are wooly, must be all in the fingers :lol: ,