Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1420210335' post='2646702']
At last another LP fan (I know Neipheed digs em too). Got 4 now but not the Goldtop. On the list though.....
[/quote]

I gigged New Years Eve with my Gold Top LP for most of the night. Fun bass to play and very cool looking IMHO.

You have a Thunderbird as well. Mine might be a 93 too. It has the ebony fret board.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420238049' post='2647151']

How about Vintage Faded Cherry? :)
[/quote]

Very pretty Blue. I have the black version of your Goldtop. They are lovely. Will post a couple of pics tomorrow but my fave is the 76 Triumph in cream. Gigged with it tonight with a new El Dorado strap just delivered from the U.S. My dream combination. Andy

I have been following this thread for a while now. Some great points have been made and no aggro, is this Basschat? I'll be 60 in 39 days and can't wait to get out playing live again after a long layoff due to health issues.

Blue, if you ever get over to the UK, drop me a PM and I'd love to buy you a pint. You're a cool dude.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1420247433' post='2647272']
Very pretty Blue. I have the black version of your Goldtop. They are lovely. Will post a couple of pics tomorrow but my fave is the 76 Triumph in cream. Gigged with it tonight with a new El Dorado strap just delivered from the U.S. My dream combination. Andy
[/quote]

Cool, can't wait to see the pics. I have a pretty cool strap for my LP.As you know you need a substantial strap for these basses, they're far from light.

I love mixing the combination of tones and volume for the neck and bridge PUs. We played a Jeff Beckish version of [i]"Going Down" [/i]on New Years Eve. I used a little Boss Over drive and a little Corona Chorus, very effective. The sustain was right on the money.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419278317' post='2638341']
Had a chat with a gtr about this very thing today and we gave up when we wanted concesus on ground breaking gtr players.
We had Hendrix, Beck and Van Halen and that was as far as we got....
[/quote]

Jan Akkerman.

I'm 57. I'm just about oldest in one band, in the other (currently hibernating) band I'm definitely the grand old man (the singer's mum is 5 years younger than me). I don't care. My first band played Glenn Miller songs. I play music from the 60s to the present. There were lots of crap bands back then and quite a few good ones. There are lots of crap bands now and quite a few good ones. There used to be lots of solo artistes playing all sorts of material of varying musical merit. There are lots of solo artistes playing all sorts of material of varying musical merit. X-Factor and The Voice have a lot to answer for. Opportunity Knocks and New Faces had a lot to answer for.

There were more ground-breaking bands in the 60s and 70s because there was more ground to break. I may, of course, be opposed for this view, and indeed I may be wrong, but I would say that someone like Victor Wooten is not a ground-breaker. He is an absolute virtuoso, but he has taken skills that the groundbreakers have explored and improved and mastered them. He may well be nibbling at the edge of the unbroken ground but there's so little of it left that finding a bit that you can actually pitch your claim to is getting very difficult.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1420253619' post='2647290']
I'm 57. I'm just about oldest in one band, in the other (currently hibernating) band I'm definitely the grand old man (the singer's mum is 5 years younger than me). I don't care. My first band played Glenn Miller songs. I play music from the 60s to the present. There were lots of crap bands back then and quite a few good ones. There are lots of crap bands now and quite a few good ones. There used to be lots of solo artistes playing all sorts of material of varying musical merit. There are lots of solo artistes playing all sorts of material of varying musical merit. X-Factor and The Voice have a lot to answer for. Opportunity Knocks and New Faces had a lot to answer for.

There were more ground-breaking bands in the 60s and 70s because there was more ground to break. I may, of course, be opposed for this view, and indeed I may be wrong, but I would say that someone like Victor Wooten is not a ground-breaker. He is an absolute virtuoso, but he has taken skills that the groundbreakers have explored and improved and mastered them. He may well be nibbling at the edge of the unbroken ground but there's so little of it left that finding a bit that you can actually pitch your claim to is getting very difficult.
[/quote]

Well, for me,I'm 61, if there's any new ground to break or beak ground that was already broken, Ive always looked to the British to bring it to our attention even if the music is from the States. It's always been that way. For whatever reason you guys seem to see and notice things in music we don't.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1420250169' post='2647278']
I have been following this thread for a while now. Some great points have been made and no aggro, is this Basschat? I'll be 60 in 39 days and can't wait to get out playing live again after a long layoff due to health issues.

Blue, if you ever get over to the UK, drop me a PM and I'd love to buy you a pint. You're a cool dude.
[/quote]

Thanks, ( I take this stuff way to seriously :) )

Very cool, getting back out there at 60 is cooler than most people think. The key is working on good meaningful projects with good people. If you can make a little dough that ain't bad either.

I'm going to get to the UK by hook or by crook. I'd love for my band to do like 6 weeks of pubs and break even. I think it would be a blast.

My ex-wife married a British woman and they live outside of London. But I don't think getting help from them is in the picture.

Blue

Edited by blue

I realise that the thread has shifted around a bit so in response to the original question, my view is older is better. I'm 53 tomorrow so a tiny bit younger but have to say these are the best playing times I've ever had. There's no angst around getting signed, no worry about trendiness and whether people will like us, no being made to jump thru hoops by record companies and not getting paid. Instead, have got better gear, better attitudes, it's relaxed and easy (we all carry and set up our own gear). We are honestly getting the best responses ever and I bloomin love it. Keeps me fit too - the only exercise I get tbh. I guess the down side is that I am bloody knackered after a gig and seize up like an old codger afterwards. Happy days and long may it continue. Will be rocking in a man nappy!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420265167' post='2647299']
Well, for me,I'm 61, if there's any new ground to break or beak ground that was already broken, Ive always looked to the British to bring it to our attention even if the music is from the States. It's always been that way. For whatever reason you guys seem to see and notice things in music we don't.

Blue
[/quote]

I do think we have a great flow of original ideas, as a nation, in both artistic and engineering worlds, and that is a source of pride, I guess.
We just do it on a small scale. We aren't very good marketing it tho so it takes others to kick in on.

My theory is that artistic AND business acumen are two very strange bed fellows.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420265857' post='2647300']
Thanks, ( I take this stuff way to seriously :) )

Very cool, getting back out there at 60 is cooler than most people think. The key is working on good meaningful projects with good people. If you can make a little dough that ain't bad either.

I'm going to get to the UK by hook or by crook. I'd love for my band to do like 6 weeks of pubs and break even. I think it would be a blast.

My ex-wife married a British woman and they live outside of London. But I don't think getting help from them is in the picture.

Blue
[/quote]

Looing forward to this idea/goal fermenting..

Oooooh - just discovered this thread and I'm loving it!! Read it all in a one-er, so now I'm tired (65 in Feb) and emotional (lots of great memories got stirred). What's changed for me? The knowledge and experience I've acquired as the years rolled by. It's being able to draw on all that accumulated music stuff that makes up for the negatives (mainly physical) of the ageing process. What stands out as very special? Discovering that each new Beatles album was completely different from their previous one (or anybody else's!!) BUT EVEN BETTER; trying to figure out what bass Bill Wyman was playing; getting my first bass ( a sky-blue Watkins Rapier with a fancy black pick-guard); hearing the Mayall/Clapton Beano Album for the first time; marvelling at the latest awesome bass-line from some anonymous Motown bass player; getting hit right between the eyes by Cream; the day that Jimi came to London town; joining a high-school band that won the local Youth Music Festival (we took the gold award in the Jazz category for our rendition of Sunshine Of Your Love would you believe!!); and then going on to play all of the aforementioned plus much more in semi-pro bands over the last 5 decades. Sorry to ramble on (Zep reference unintentional), but I guess there's not much of substance I can add to what's already been posted. Except maybe one thing: for me what makes the music of the '60s and '70s unique was that it was energized by a youth/pop revolution that was standing culture on its head across the western world. That energy is woven into the very fibre of the music and I'm still as passionate about it as I ever was. Latest project? Ran into a guy in the local music store a couple of months back who knows the stuff I know, likes the stuff I like, plays the stuff I play - and we're about ready to hit the road as '2fargone'. Footnote: he's only 40-something (must have had a hard life as he looks much older), so there's hope for those young'uns yet!

Well, got to go now as I'm being told it's my bed-time and my milky drink is going cold...

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1420325500' post='2648194']
Oooooh - just discovered this thread and I'm loving it!! Read it all in a one-er, so now I'm tired (65 in Feb) and emotional (lots of great memories got stirred). What's changed for me? The knowledge and experience I've acquired as the years rolled by. It's being able to draw on all that accumulated music stuff that makes up for the negatives (mainly physical) of the ageing process. What stands out as very special? Discovering that each new Beatles album was completely different from their previous one (or anybody else's!!) BUT EVEN BETTER; trying to figure out what bass Bill Wyman was playing;
[/quote]

I hope I'm still productive and gigging at 65. Bill Wyman, probably one of the most underrated bass players I can think of it. You might not understand why until you try and cover his bass lines.

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1420580838' post='2651009']
It's my 63rd birthday today.
[/quote]
[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1420581514' post='2651021']
[b][size=6]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/size][/b]
[/quote]

+1 Many happy returns of the boomerang.