Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

I guess, bottom line, is that folks of our generation are, ultimately, survivors. We've seen the good times and the bad times. We've experienced loss and survived. We've made mistakes but learned. Yes, the clock is clicking away on our lives in a very annoying way, but, by and large, we're still more interested in the groove we're setting with the drummer onstage. Music is more than a thing, or something to do. Rather, it is an ever more important component of our own self expression and allows us tell the world: "World, I am here. This sound, this music, is coming from me! And I am . . . satisfied."

<><Peace

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1420943857' post='2655400']
I guess, bottom line, is that folks of our generation are, ultimately, survivors. We've seen the good times and the bad times. We've experienced loss and survived. We've made mistakes but learned. Yes, the clock is clicking away on our lives in a very annoying way, but, by and large, we're still more interested in the groove we're setting with the drummer onstage. Music is more than a thing, or something to do. Rather, it is an ever more important component of our own self expression and allows us tell the world: "World, I am here. This sound, this music, is coming from me! And I am . . . satisfied."

<><Peace
[/quote]

Awesome perspective!

For me it's what I am. Example, if I ever made the news for any reason, I want the first line to read; [i]Blue, 61 year old male, bass guitarist for the rock band Road Trip was hospitalized for chest pains"[/i] Not, [i]"Blue 61 year old male Case Manager for Western Mutual Insurance was hospitalized for chest pains".[/i]

There a lot of guys here that don't have much of a connection with or love of gigging. These guys have lives, families, other interests and talent.

Playing bass in a Rock Band is the only thing I've ever known how to do ( and proud of it, I might ad). After 50 years It's still the only thing I have any interest in.

A bass guitar is not something I pick up a few times a week and muddle around with. It's way of life and who I am. It's why it's hard for me to understand some of you that say things like [i]"I don't know if I want to play anymore"[/i] For us survivors that wouldn't be an option or anything that would ever cross our minds.

Blue

Edited by blue

Just an update.
As I intimated in my first post, the Band I was with folded shortly after NYE after the drummer told them he was fed up playing in "what felt was in a spin dryer". Shortly after I got an email from the Bandleader saying to cancel the gig I'd organised in March for us. No thanks for the last 2 years playing for them, nothing!

Moving on, I'd foreseen the band folding as we'd already lost our guitar as he was fed up playing medleys and to onerous parameters, so I contacted someone looking for a Bassist to do "Blues". Normally I'd run a mile but reasoned I'd been doing 2-5-1 rock n roll for the last 2 years so Blues could not be any worse!
Was given a set list of Blues standards to look at then got an email saying he was inviting down a female singer he knew too.
We got together last Weds Eve and I like the set list including "Hip Shakin Mamma, Your heart is as black as the night and Midnight Hour". So we'll see how it progresses, There's a blues harp player who sings in the lineup of guitar, drums, bass and vox ( and at the moment is blowing over everything so I'll need to have a word!) but it may have legs. So the first weeks of my 60th year show some promise.....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1421077042' post='2656867']
Just an update.
As I intimated in my first post, the Band I was with folded shortly after NYE after the drummer told them he was fed up playing in "what felt was in a spin dryer". Shortly after I got an email from the Bandleader saying to cancel the gig I'd organised in March for us. No thanks for the last 2 years playing for them, nothing!

Moving on, I'd foreseen the band folding as we'd already lost our guitar as he was fed up playing medleys and to onerous parameters, so I contacted someone looking for a Bassist to do "Blues". Normally I'd run a mile but reasoned I'd been doing 2-5-1 rock n roll for the last 2 years so Blues could not be any worse!
Was given a set list of Blues standards to look at then got an email saying he was inviting down a female singer he knew too.
We got together last Weds Eve and I like the set list including "Hip Shakin Mamma, Your heart is as black as the night and Midnight Hour". So we'll see how it progresses, There's a blues harp player who sings in the lineup of guitar, drums, bass and vox ( and at the moment is blowing over everything so I'll need to have a word!) but it may have legs. So the first weeks of my 60th year show some promise.....
[/quote]

Very cool and good luck.

What kind of band experience is a fit for you at this point in your life? Recording only, no gig for fun band, once a month gigging or gig as much as possible?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420958969' post='2655409']
There a lot of guys here that don't have much of a connection with or love of gigging. These guys have lives, families, other interests and talent.
[/quote]

I have none of those things you mention & I still hate gigging.

Playing music was all I ever had in my life, it's certainly the only thing I've ever had any kind of aptitude for, & yet I still find myself with little to no desire to do it anymore.

I started playing when I was 14 & I just turned 50. Everything in my life has always revolved around being a musician & now there's a huge hole where that used to be & I don't have the first idea what I can fill it with.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421103023' post='2657294']
Very cool and good luck.

What kind of band experience is a fit for you at this point in your life? Recording only, no gig for fun band, once a month gigging or gig as much as possible?

Blue
[/quote]

I love to gig (others love to boogie). Sorry, that was in the last band's set list, shows I'm not over the trauma yet! In the lucky position of being retired, got a little Part Time job and not needing loads of money from gigs to stay alive!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1421180469' post='2658202']
I wonder if in 20 years the thread will be called
[b] [size=4]Over 80 &amp; Still In The Game...[/size][/b]

[/quote]
We can only hope so...

I suppose that we can take inspiration from Pinetop Perkins who still had a full diary of gigs for the year ahead when he passed away aged 99 years of age and Honeyboy Edwards who was very nearly as old and still gigging when he died...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421174313' post='2658066']
I have none of those things you mention & I still hate gigging.

Playing music was all I ever had in my life, it's certainly the only thing I've ever had any kind of aptitude for, & yet I still find myself with little to no desire to do it anymore.

I started playing when I was 14 & I just turned 50. Everything in my life has always revolved around being a musician & now there's a huge hole where that used to be & I don't have the first idea what I can fill it with.
[/quote]

I think we all out live our usefulness in any field at some point in time. That point is different for all of us. I will be 62 next month, I'm still good.

I pray that what ever cultivated your hate for gigging never happens to me. I still love;[list]
[*]Playing
[*]The Music
[*]Setting up
[*]Tearing down
[*]The Venues
[*]The Crowds
[*]My Band Mates
[*]My Gear
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1421180469' post='2658202']
I wonder if in 20 years the thread will be called
[b] [size=4]Over 80 & Still In The Game...[/size][/b]

[size=4]There are a lot of us old gits still gigging, I thought I was past it and quit for over ten years when I was 30.[/size]
[/quote]

I hope so, however, I don't really see myself driving home at 2:30 in the morning at 80 years of age.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1421195130' post='2658437']
I was talking to an old jazzer recently while he was setting up for a gig in a bar near the rehearsal room we were using.

He said he didnt think I was a real Bass player, Cos electric Basses dont count.

Still, ypu dont argue with a guy who is still gigging at 82 do you ?
[/quote]

He might be right, it's why I never refer to myself as a bassist. To me that label is more for guys that play the acoustic upright or double bass. I'm a bass guitarist.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421241251' post='2658798']
He might be right, it's why I never refer to myself as a bassist. To me that label is more for guys that play the acoustic upright or double bass. I'm a bass guitarist.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm a bass player...I play down the register, same as those guys. Other than that I don't have anything else in common
with that sort of attitude.

Well this has been an interesting read. Not sure that I can bring a huge amount to the varied discussion but I am 69 next month and still get out and gig occasionally when anyone asks - I have a couple of occasional dep slots - however I have drawn the line at being in a busy regular band for the time being although never say never.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421241251' post='2658798']

Blue
[/quote]

Nah, he said it with the sort of twinkle in his eye that you have to be old to pull off. I didnt take it as being offensive, he even offered me a go on his 'Real Bass' :D[size=4] [/size]

I dont describe myself as a Bassist either, I'm a Bass player.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting thread and as I recently qualified to participate in this thread thought I would contribute.

My experience is it gets better as you get older - I'm happy to just lay back in the groove and play a couple of fills and bass hooks here and there. Great fun!! I find it far easier to relax playing these days - not sure if it's an age or experience thing or a bit of both.

The one thing I find a bigger and bigger irritation is carrying the equipment in and out - despite having invested in lightweight cabs and amp it's still a pain!!! And taking two basses to a gig - well that's an exception rather than a rule these days.

I have played in bands in recent times with plenty of mid 70 year olds so am v hopeful I'll still be doing it then.

Oh and Blue, we also had the Singing Nun back in the 60s on our radios - as well as all the beat groups - others I recall were A Windmill in Old Amsterdam and plenty of Val Doonican songs!! It wasn't until 1967 that we had a specific national radio station for pop music!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418877746' post='2634352']

I know a 19 year old guitarist singer like that. Heard him nail [i]She Caught The Katie and Left Me a Mule To Ride[/i]. However he has no idea who Taj Mahal is or what he's singing about. So for me, not impressed. But that's just me.

Blue
[/quote]

That's a bit harsh, everyone can't know the history of all music. Taj Mahal? I thought that was a big bulby building in India!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1421195130' post='2658437']
I was talking to an old jazzer recently while he was setting up for a gig in a bar near the rehearsal room we were using.

He said he didnt think I was a real Bass player, Cos electric Basses dont count.

Still, ypu dont argue with a guy who is still gigging at 82 do you ?
[/quote]

Buy a Roland GR20 , it's got an amazing double bass sound. Then go and tell him to f*** himself!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422342381' post='2671285']
That's a bit harsh, everyone can't know the history of all music. Taj Mahal? I thought that was a big bulby building in India!
[/quote]

Yeah, it was a harsh comment. I don't even know what a [i]"Katie"[/i] is. That was me being an old grump. You know, [i]"these young whippers don't know nothing"[/i] remark. I'm very intimidated with these young talented whippers. And I [i]"aged out"[/i] on several opportunities and it's tough to come to grips with.

I know I had a lot of respect and interest in older musicians when I was young. I personally don't see that respect from many younger folks today.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422344137' post='2671300']
Yeah, it was a harsh comment. I don't even know what a [i]"Katie"[/i] is. That was me being an old grump. You know, [i]"these young whippers don't know nothing"[/i] remark. I'm very intimidated with these young talented whippers. And I [i]"aged out"[/i] on several opportunities and it's tough to come to grips with.

I know I had a lot of respect and interest in older musicians when I was young.[b] I personally don't see that respect from many younger folks today.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

They'll wise up when they play with you on a bill tho... and if they don't get that lesson, they'll likely never get it.

An interesting conversation... Some of the topics I can't really comment on (I'm 42) but there is one very big change in the musical environment that hasn't been touched.

In the UK, at least, most of the biggest innovators in popular music from the late 70s/early 80s onwards have been using synthesizers, and this has a very different aesthetic to rock'n'roll. The reason that under-25s might quit a bar when a live (guitar) band is playing is because this is not the musical environment that they are familiar with. It's the club/DJ/producer.

There are plenty of electronic bands who have made it up to stadium-filling popularity. Some, like Depeche Mode, have managed to turn into bona fide stadium rock acts. You then have folks like Deadmau5 who'll play to similar crowds from a laptop (which I don't like, but I must give him respect as he is a massive synth & technology nerd and has very good skills with old analogue stuff) down to various DJs & Producers, again playing to these huge crowds, where ugly rumours are that most of their own supposed tracks were ghost-written.

I am not going to make a judgement call on this, but has it not occurred to folks that "rock and roll" is not seen as relevant by a large number of especially younger people these days? Their heroes aren't guitarists or singers, but DJs and producers, and these people can be emulated with a cheap computer in your bedroom? Yes, 99.999% of what will be produced is rubbish, but tell me when there was a time that 99.999% of music banged out on any acoustic instrument in a kid's bedroom wasn't also rubbish!

On this, like in many other areas I fall between the 2 stools. I love playing guitar, but I also really enjoy using technology to make sounds that I never could with a "real" instrument. I enjoy playing gigs, but it's also weird when other acts on the same bill as 1/2 my age! I'm a child of the 70s - the great rock & rollers were at least a generation away. The Beatles had split, the Stones had stopped being musically relevant (specifically, progressing, doing something innovative musically), hell all I can remember from being a pre-teen was Abba, The Sex Pistols and horrific novelty singles in the UK charts. I struggle to make the connection with the classics so no wonder kids 20+ years further down the line are.

One thing that is good, though, is that there are still plenty of kids who are picking up guitars and basses; and with the Internet being such a great learning tool many of them are far better technically and have had wider exposure to different music styles then I'd ever get.

I have absolutely no idea what the landscape will be when I turn 60. If I'm still playing stupid loud music to people who don't understand it then I'll be happy. :yarr: