Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419196600' post='2637541']
I'm curious, what did you move on to?

Blue
[/quote]
All sorts, both old and new, and anyway the new slowly becomes old and even the old is new when you first hear it.

I guess I lost interest in the Stones around the time of the [i]Some Girls[/i] album.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419202890' post='2637637']
Hey, that's me your talking about.[/quote]

Not at all, dear chap. The guilty know who they are. ;)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419202890' post='2637637']However, I don't have any chest hair, and that check out girl at Walgreen's really likes me. :D
[/quote]

Walgreen's sounds so impossibly exotic to the ear. Sod's law, it's probably like Spar, only with a smaller range of tea-bags and better looking customers.

[size=3][b]Spar, Bridport UK[/b]: The rain falls hard on a humdrum town and Heaven knows I'm miserable now[/size].
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1419205929' post='2637676']...
Walgreen's sounds so impossibly exotic to the ear. Sod's law, it's probably like Spar, only with a smaller range of tea-bags and better looking customers...
[/quote]
As exotic as Boots the Chemist...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1419204464' post='2637656']
All sorts, both old and new, and anyway the new slowly becomes old and even the old is new when you first hear it.

I guess I lost interest in the Stones around the time of the [i]Some Girls[/i] album.
[/quote]

That was when they sort of re-invented themselves. It's an awesome piece of work by my standards . I love it.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1419205929' post='2637676']
Not at all, dear chap. The guilty know who they are. ;)

Walgreen's sounds so impossibly exotic to the ear. Sod's law, it's probably like Spar, only with a smaller range of tea-bags and better looking customers.

[size=3][b]Spar, Bridport UK[/b]: The rain falls hard on a humdrum town and Heaven knows I'm miserable now[/size].
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Here's Walgreen's, I always stop in there coming home from gigs. It's usually around 2:30. By that time the place is filled with pot heads walking around in their pajamas. I'm serious.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm with Blue in so much as thinking you should know about the music your playing/singing.
As surely if you don't your just making random pretty noises?.

I would be disappointed with someone of any age, if i found out that they didn't have a clue about what they just covered. I would not expect someone to be an expert but come on know something about what your doing.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1418924439' post='2634952']
This doesn't apply to just school children - people of pretty much all ages are like that these days.
[/quote]
I agree, my little one was sent flying by a careless, thoughtless pensioner yesterday

There are plenty of thoughtful caring young folks about.

I just want to say that, having read through this thread, it (IMHO) exemplifies what a good bass chat thread should be. People with differing views making points, answering points and making reasoned counter points. A bit of humour thrown in, no insults, no shouting. All in all a pleasure to read, and it makes you think about what's being said rather than jumping to a pre-held opinion.

Yep great thread - and I don't think anyone who plays the blues or jazz ever wonders about this. You play until you die (old hopefully) and you learn between you as you go. SOME younger musicians can have a gullibility I get frustrated with, ie. that they are determined to sound like their heroes, rather than build on, reference, or re-invent the sound of their heroes. Case in point, a band I saw the other night were so desperate to be Blink 182 that the bassist even wore their T-shirt. They were good, they've got a great following, but their also so generic. Perhaps that will shift as they get older.

The guys I play with are some years younger than I! Yet I look to them for new sounds. I [i]need [/i]their input. On the flipside, their music history is pretty darn good and they gladly ask me about bands/music from the past - (to all of which I just say listen to The Clash, that's all you need to hear and know :ph34r:[size=4]) [/size]

Drummer was cheeky enough to ask if I was at IOW for Hendrix. That's NOT funny.

I like your posts Blue, keep them coming, you are The Thinking Man's Bassist (or something like that)

Edited by Jigster

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1419254700' post='2638011']
I just want to say that, having read through this thread, it (IMHO) exemplifies what a good bass chat thread should be. People with differing views making points, answering points and making reasoned counter points. A bit of humour thrown in, no insults, no shouting. All in all a pleasure to read, and it makes you think about what's being said rather than jumping to a pre-held opinion.
[/quote]

Yep, well said - has made me really want to be having a good face to face friendly, civilised argument with Blue!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419146160' post='2636909']
They can say whatever they like. Everybody can have an opinion.

George was 17 years old and had to create his own path for the most part. In 1962 there wasn't much for him to draw from. Mayer had 50 years of rock guitarist to draw from. George Harrison is a rock and roll icon. Are you saying Mayer is in the same league as a George Harrison?

The Beatles were once in a life time song writers and here's something, how many rock bands do you hear playing their instruments and singing 2 and 3 part harmony?

Blue
[/quote]

Didn't stop Hendrix, or indeed Clapton who had quite a lot ot say at the time, musically, even though he has never been a fave of mine..
Who did Page or Beck draw from..and where did Van Halen get his thing from in 76...( 6 years after the death of Hendrix ) where did
that lightning bolt come from in gtr terms..?
I mentioned Mayer as a bit of a gtr player these days but could have surely picked many others... Bonamassa..??
George, bless him, was fortunate he made his name as one of the Beatles as his gtr work would not have got him there...IMO, of course.

As for Taylor Swift..she is a marketing marvel... as she has sales that rival Garth Brooks and Shania Twain, which means HUGE MAJOR LEAGUE country star. I haven't heard a good song out of her, to be honest, and I tried to find one.. but that doesn't mean that she doesn't hit the spot ..for whatever reason, for a huge amount of people.

But then again, back in the 60's they spammed a few things as well.... The Monkees for example.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1419256469' post='2638040']
Yep great thread - and I don't think anyone who plays the blues or jazz ever wonders about this. You play until you die (old hopefully) and you learn between you as you go. SOME younger musicians can have a gullibility I get frustrated with, ie. that they are determined to sound like their heroes, rather than build on, reference, or re-invent the sound of their heroes. Case in point, a band I saw the other night were so desperate to be Blink 182 that the bassist even wore their T-shirt. They were good, they've got a great following, but their also so generic. Perhaps that will shift as they get older.

The guys I play with are some years younger than I! Yet I look to them for new sounds. I [i]need [/i]their input. On the flipside, their music history is pretty darn good and they gladly ask me about bands/music from the past - (to all of which I just say listen to The Clash, that's all you need to hear and know :ph34r:[size=4]) [/size]

Drummer was cheeky enough to ask if I was at IOW for Hendrix. That's NOT funny.

I like your posts Blue, keep them coming, you are The Thinking Man's Bassist (or something like that)
[/quote]

Thanks Time Stamp,

If I have learned anything from this thread it's that there still is a [i]"generation gap[/i]". Only difference at this point in time is I'm on the cranky geezer side of the fence. :D

Never thought the day would come when the stuff like whats in the link below would become dated and out of style. Sad for me. :(

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJW6Y8U-BsI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OJW6Y8U-BsI[/url]

They can all play their butts off, something that no longer matters.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1419257377' post='2638061']
Yep, well said - has made me really want to be having a good face to face friendly, civilised argument with Blue!
[/quote]

That might happen, I'm destined to do a few bar shows in the UK before I'm done with all this.

Blue

I'll give you that... Jeff Beck is a gtr that just cannot be ignored by anyone learning/studying the gtr... IMO, and one of the very few.

Had a chat with a gtr about this very thing today and we gave up when we wanted concesus on ground breaking gtr players.
We had Hendrix, Beck and Van Halen and that was as far as we got....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419278317' post='2638341']
I'll give you that... Jeff Beck is a gtr that just cannot be ignored by anyone learning/studying the gtr... IMO, and one of the very few.

Had a chat with a gtr about this very thing today and we gave up when we wanted concesus on ground breaking gtr players.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've always been a big fan. he played Turner Hall ( smaller venue ) here in Milwaukee with Tal a few years ago. A Fender Sales Rep. gave me a few tickets. i got there early and walked upstairs. They were doing their sound check, so, me being me, I just walked in and sat down and watched. Very cool, I don't think Jeff muttered as much as 2 words to the band members through the whole sound check.

Came back in at show time, walked up and stood right in front of the stage and realized I was standing next to Rick Neilson Cheap Trick founder. I knew he was a big Beck fan. I also knew he was in town to do a presentation of his Les Paul collection at The Milwaukee Museum. It was one of those surreal nights.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419278009' post='2638339']
That might happen, I'm destined to do a few bar shows in the UK before I'm done with all this.

Blue
[/quote]

Now that would be great! Should see if we could get a Basschat tour booked for your band (as long as you can get us all gigs back in Milwaukee)!!

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1419276892' post='2638314']
Absolutely right. There are a lot of great young players and just as many crap old ones (and vice versa). I'm the old boy (61) in my band and the others are great. They even offer to carry my cabs :).
[/quote]

I'll be 62 in February, not a lot of guys our age are still out there in the trenches and still gigging bars. Or as we say, standing in a pool of urine for 4 hours. :D

We have some great young players over here too. However I would not say a lot. There are not as many younger guys interested in rock and roll as there were when I was a teen. Like I said;

[i]" I thought everybody played an instrument and was in a band "[/i]

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419278317' post='2638341']

[/quote]

SRV??

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1419283704' post='2638414']
SRV??
[/quote]

Really like him, but not so sure he would be placed in that very select few who inspired so so many.
I mean VH started a whole gtr playing style all on his own.... and Hendrix just blew everyone away.
Beck is Beck and still unique after all these years... so not quite sure I would put SRV in that league
myself... Others might but I don't think he stands side by side with the most influential Gtrs of the last 50
in a top 5 or so..???