Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422368485' post='2671711']
All I know is kids will hate what their parents listen to. It's the law!
[/quote]

They will then quite often find a renewed appreciation of the music their parents listened to as they get older. I know I have.

Most of the music I listen to these days my father would have happily listened to, and most of the stuff that I listened to that he thought was bloody rubbish I now think is bloody rubbish too.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422344137' post='2671300']

Yeah, it was a harsh comment. I don't even know what a [i]"Katie"[/i] is. That was me being an old grump. You know, [i]"these young whippers don't know nothing"[/i] remark. I'm very intimidated with these young talented whippers. And I [i]"aged out"[/i] on several opportunities and it's tough to come to grips with.

I know I had a lot of respect and interest in older musicians when I was young. I personally don't see that respect from many younger folks today.

Blue
[/quote]

Is it any wonder that you don't see any respect from younger folks when you seem to have such a sneery, dismissive attitude towards them?

Respect is a two way thing and it has to be earned, nobody is entitled to it automatically just because of how old they are.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422373214' post='2671810']
They will then quite often find a renewed appreciation of the music their parents listened to as they get older. I know I have.[/quote]

I have too. Another great thread Blue, it's been a good read buddy. I sure hope I'm still playing and enjoying music when I'm old(er).

I'm hearing some bizarre and extremely unfortunate views of young people here.

Has it never occurred to some of you that you might learn something, might even enjoy hearing something new that a young person might introduce you to? Well, it's your loss.

This lack of time and lack of respect for young people is highly reminiscent of the attitude in the 1960s of my parents' generation to young people of that time who are today the ones over 60 and who really ought to know better.

There's absolutely loads of great new music being made by young people around the world and you are missing out on it just as your parents missed out on the great music of the 1960s.

Many young people are listening to old music, just not all of it rock. In my experience they are on average much more interested in old soul, hiphop, reggae, ska, klezmer etc.than rock but nonetheless even old rock is listened to.

And if young people are walking out of guitar rock bar gigs then, given the attitude of some on here, those young people are making a wise decision - why on earth would they be interested in ageist rockist boring old farts.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422368485' post='2671711']
All I know is kids will hate what their parents listen to. It's the law!
[/quote]

In my experience this is wholly not true, but then I am neither ageist nor rockist in my musical tastes.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422373583' post='2671813']
Is it any wonder that you don't see any respect from younger folks when you seem to have such a sneery, dismissive attitude towards them?

Respect is a two way thing and it has to be earned, nobody is entitled to it automatically just because of how old they are.
[/quote]

I think I said I don't see any respect from young musicians, however I'm not really looking for it. I'm interested in what young performing rock musicians are doing, thinking and why. They, on the other hand are not really interested in what veteran players are doing, that's their choice IMHO.

Age doesn't entitle me or anyone else to anything, agreed.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422422950' post='2672411']
I think I said I don't see any respect from young musicians, however I'm not really looking for it. I'm interested in what young performing rock musicians are doing, thinking and why. They, on the other hand are not really interested in what veteran players are doing, that's their choice IMHO.

Age doesn't entitle me or anyone else to anything, agreed.

Blue
[/quote]

A common problem I see...and this may be indicative of the age we live in..
is you get a young group and they think they are the bees-knees but that
thought lives exclusively in their head. If they took the time to listen to any
critique, they would have a different reference, and instead of sticking to their own
little narrow bubble, could work off other ideas etc etc.
When I was 17..which is considerably younger than the guys I am thinking of..
I went and joined a function band which could pay me to work it full time.
Living at home, I didn't need THAT much, but I thought I was good enough
to work with them. I may even have had a sneery attitude abouit one or two
playing abilities, but I LEARNT LOADS from people who knew more generally about
the way these things all work. The playing thing I could look after..as I'd got the gig,
but the ability to read a crowd was an eye opener as was all the songs that I had to learn
and I'd never heard of. It was WAAAY out of my zone, but I am glad I did it.
It certainly burst my bubble and I put myself into those situations a few more times
and got a few roastings..but the thing is, those roastings teach you.

A few yong guns, I come up against have no idea and at 25, that is ok..they have potential.
What is a waste is when they haven't moved a damn inch at 30...and that is wasted, IMO.

Music is a constant learning curve so the biggest single thing I'd say to a young player
is 'ditch your mates and move on'.

For most of us over 60 guys that started gigging back in the 60s & 70s still out there gigging in the trenches (bars/pubs) every weekend I think you gain a more realistic perspective on things.

Gig issues and people that would have driven me nuts 40 years ago, *I can now take in stride. Have fun, nothing is a big deal.

Blue

One exception, don't show up to a gig with an electronic drum kit. :D

Edited by blue

If the idea of still gigging and playing in your senior years is appealing to you ( If your 20 I don't really know how you would even know whats going to be appealing to you when your 60, if you make it till 60. Some don't). This might be 30-40 years out for many of you, I have one bit of advice.

Choose the bands you work with very carefully, if you start developing a history of playing in bands that don't meet your requirements and always end up a disappointing experience chances are you'll put your bass to rest far before it's time.

I am lucky, I don't know how I ended up with a 50 year history of what I can sum up in one word,[b][i] "Fun!"[/i][/b]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422536057' post='2673778']
A common problem I see...and this may be indicative of the age we live in..
is you get a young group and they think they are the bees-knees but that
thought lives exclusively in their head. If they took the time to listen to any
critique, they would have a different reference, and instead of sticking to their own
little narrow bubble, could work off other ideas etc etc.
When I was 17..which is considerably younger than the guys I am thinking of..
I went and joined a function band which could pay me to work it full time.
Living at home, I didn't need THAT much, but I thought I was good enough
to work with them. I may even have had a sneery attitude abouit one or two
playing abilities, but I LEARNT LOADS from people who knew more generally about
the way these things all work. The playing thing I could look after..as I'd got the gig,
but the ability to read a crowd was an eye opener as was all the songs that I had to learn
and I'd never heard of. It was WAAAY out of my zone, but I am glad I did it.
It certainly burst my bubble and I put myself into those situations a few more times
and got a few roastings..but the thing is, those roastings teach you.

A few yong guns, I come up against have no idea and at 25, that is ok..they have potential.
What is a waste is when they haven't moved a damn inch at 30...and that is wasted, IMO.

Music is a constant learning curve so the biggest single thing I'd say to a young player
is 'ditch your mates and move on'.
[/quote]

Again, astute commentary above.

A lot of us guys that have been out there on the front lines of gigging for 50 years can walk into a pub or bar prior to a gig and sum up just about every detail. What the the room will be like in terms of your sound, attendance projection, and overall vibe and energy.

And yes it's a constant learning curve.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422734313' post='2676320']
If the idea of still gigging and playing in your senior years is appealing to you ( If your 20 I don't really know how you would even know whats going to be appealing to you when your 60, if you make it till 60. Some don't). This might be 30-40 years out for many of you, I have one bit of advice.

Choose the bands you work with very carefully, if you start developing a history of playing in bands that don't meet your requirements and always end up a disappointing experience chances are you'll put your bass to rest far before it's time.

I am lucky, I don't know how I ended up with a 50 year history of what I can sum up in one word,[b][i] "Fun!"[/i][/b]

Blue
[/quote]

This, Definitely.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422735023' post='2676328']
Again, astute commentary above.

A lot of us guys that have been out there on the front lines of gigging for 50 years can walk into a pub or bar prior to a gig and sum up just about every detail. What the the room will be like in terms of your sound, attendance projection, and overall vibe and energy.

And yes it's a constant learning curve.

Blue
[/quote]

Yep...one of the other things I can do is instantly sum up a player or a band...
I can tell within seconds whether I'll like them..the drummer can hit his skins in a mini fill and I'll know..same with
a lot of other players. Once the band plays a song, I'll also know what they've got and whether it will be enough to interest
me. I just seem to know what I am looking for very quickly...
So, yes, a lot of experience can make you confident that you can just do 'it' and at what level you can operate.
After that, its just chemistry and then you'll have a very good band at the level you gig, IMO.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422734313' post='2676320']

Blue
[/quote]

I'd agree. there are some bands you shouldn't touch and likewise some players.
This is why I am not in a bands with my mates that I was starting with.
It is not about your mate, it is about what music you can play...and if someone gave up
for 3 years or so, it is up to them to catch up or just be ready enough.
Having said that, a mate did give me a call after years and years and we were able to
have a really good band for 5 years. What that also did was bring out of the woodwork
other old mates and they wanted to 'reform'...
From my POV, that wasn't going to happen. The reason you move on is to do something different
and hopefully, better. And I honestly think that when that can't happen anymore, then I'm done... ???