Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419194834' post='2637509']
... You guys know how loyal us Beatles and Stones fans have been for the past 50 years. Are the fans of new bands as loyal?
[/quote]
When I was a 1960s teenager I liked the Stones a lot but for several decades now I have been totally uninterested by them. I'm not disloyal, I have just moved on.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419194834' post='2637509']
Interesting point, I really wonder about that, what bands will still be in the came 50 years from now. The whole concept of band and fans is different. You guys know how loyal us Beatles and Stones fans have been for the past 50 years. Are the fans of new bands as loyal?

Blue
[/quote]

I really don't understand this concept - I love some Bowie stuff but haven't bought anything since Let's Dance. Elvis Costello is another one - I love his work with the Attractions but haven't bought his work with the Brodsky Quartet through loyalty. Besides, 8 years from the Beatles is hardly them being loyal back!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1419195052' post='2637515']
You can get high quality instruments cheap, you can get a second hand Squire VMJ for about £100 and they are better quality than a Fender would have been in the 70s.
[/quote]

That's cool, however, me personally would not call or describe any Squire as [i]"high end"[/i]. Fine basses, but not [i]high end. [/i]

For example a Squire is not a Sadowsky. I think most guys would consider a Sadowsky as [i]"high end".[/i]

Blue

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1419195947' post='2637526']
I really don't understand this concept - I love some Bowie stuff but haven't bought anything since Let's Dance. Elvis Costello is another one - I love his work with the Attractions but haven't bought his work with the Brodsky Quartet through loyalty. Besides, 8 years from the Beatles is hardly them being loyal back!
[/quote]

Loyalty does not necessarily mean buying recordings.

I haven't purchased any Beatles or Stones recordings in years. However I have dropped $160.00 a piece for Stones and McCartney concerts within the last few years. And when I go to these shows, while I am a huge fan, I really don't want to hear any new stuff.

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1419195546' post='2637520']
When I was a 1960s teenager I liked the Stones a lot but for several decades now I have been totally uninterested by them. I'm not disloyal, I have just moved on.
[/quote]

[i]"I didn't"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419195999' post='2637527']
That's cool, however, me personally would not call or describe any Squire as [i]"high end"[/i]. Fine basses, but not [i]high end. [/i]

For example a Squire is not a Sadowsky. I think most guys would consider a Sadowsky as [i]"high end".[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

But you have an instrument that is of a recordable quality for very little money which means more people can make music.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1419195546' post='2637520']
[/quote]

I'm curious, what did you move on to?

Blue

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1419196394' post='2637537']
But you have an instrument that is of a recordable quality for very little money which means more people can make music.
[/quote]

I guess you have a point. You can record with just about any bass. It doesn't have to be [i]"quality".[/i]

More people can make music. I guess that's a good thing?

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1419195273' post='2637519']
In the UK it is I think substantially more than $160 but I don't at all understand why anyone would go to see the Stones in a stadium. If you could see them in a small 200 people club for twenty quid then maybe, otherwise no thanks. The same goes for McCartney in my view, although some friends saw him at BBC Maida Vale recently and I could get with that.

So [i]why[/i] do people do it?

Probably all sorts of reasons and many of them unrelated to music including conspicuous consumption of hotel/gig/dinner/VIPseats/bottle of champagne/signed programme etc etc.
[/quote]

My seats were very good, close to the stage. It's still major fun. I'm still fascinated by McCartney and The Stones, but probably for different reason from when I was a teen.

Most guys,I know, friends and music peers don't go to concerts or shows at all. They changed in that way, I didn't.

I go because, I'm still into it and I'm hoping that's a part of me that will never change.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419196818' post='2637543']
I guess you have a point. You can record with just about any bass. It doesn't have to be [i]"quality".[/i]

More people can make music. I guess that's a good thing?

Blue
[/quote]

Of course it is but it does mean there will be less superstars which in my view is a good thing.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1419197320' post='2637554']
Of course it is but it does mean there will be less superstars which in my view is a good thing.
[/quote]

Cool, valid point.

Me, I like SuperStars. But some I like more than others.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419192736' post='2637475']
Laura is gone, however she sold her catalog back in the late 70s for 9 million US dollars. Not bad for the time. Seems like she gave it away now.

Blue
[/quote]

In my view, no-one living or dead has ever been worth that sort of money, whatever they've done. It's indecent.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1419198348' post='2637564']
In my view, no-one living or dead has ever been worth that sort of money, whatever they've done. It's indecent.
[/quote]

Valid opinion.

My opinion is different. As soon as someone was willing to pay that 9 million she was worth it. Same goes for Athletes that are paid millions. I actually think the athletes are under paid.

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1419193949' post='2637494']
... and +1, as they say, on Laura Nyro.
[/quote]

Saw her in concert at the Festival hall. A really once in a lifetime gig. My wife bought every album as it was released. A major talent sadly missed.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1419194689' post='2637506']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The nostalgia circuit is big business but that doesn't make it relevant.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Most of the people that go to these shows are old farts who are still desperately trying to convince that themselves they are still young & relevant. "[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Then we have a lot of desperate people in Milwaukee, 50,000.00 ( McCartney's attendance ) of us that are older but still like having fun and enjoy this type of Rock and Roll.

I go because the experience hasn't changed for me. Feels just like it did as a teen. Which means I love it

Well, if your right, I'll stay desperate and the others can stay home and tend to their knitting. :D

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1419199701' post='2637588']
Saw her in concert at the Festival hall. A really once in a lifetime gig. My wife bought every album as it was released. A major talent sadly missed.
[/quote]

Brilliant song writer.

Blue

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The nostalgia circuit is big business but that doesn't make it relevant.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Most of the people that go to these shows are old farts who are still desperately trying to convince that themselves they are still young & relevant. "[/font][/color]
[/quote]

No more so than the 'I'm really down with the kids music' middle-aged men who pretend to like any old sh*t if it might make the teenage supermarket check-out girl see past the ear hair and the grey chest wig. It is a tragic thing to observe, somewhat akin to Dad-dancing or wearing over-tight blue jeans.

The problem is that many of these types can't bear to see themselves as 'Clarksons' well on their way to being worm food. The idea of dignified maturity entirely eludes them.

So - anyway - they trumpet their love of 'ground-breaking new music', blissfully unaware that the target audience of 20 year-olds looks at them and thinks 'Who is that silly old c**t?'

This denial of reality leads the wrinkly hipster into the hilariously unsustainable argument that today's music is [i]really great[/i] and that the unlimited availability of paint-by-numbers bedroom Mac recordings [i]is a good thing[/i]. It really is very depressing to see such widespread cognitive dissonance simply because people can't handle the concept of mortality.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1419199904' post='2637594']
No more so than the 'I'm really down with the kids' music' middle-aged men who pretend to like any old sh*t if it might make the teenage supermarket check-out girl see past the ear hair and the grey chest wig. It is a tragic thing to observe, somewhat akin to Dad-dancing or wearing over-tight blue jeans.

The problem is that many of these types can't bear to see themselves as 'Clarksons' well on the way to being worm food. This is basically because they've believed all that Golden Youth crap when they were 15 and never grew up.

So now they trumpet their love of 'ground-breaking new music', blissfully unaware that the target audience of 20 year-olds looks at them and thinks 'Who is that silly old c**t?'

This denial of reality leads the wrinkly hipster into the hilariously unsustainable argument that today's music is [i]really great[/i] and that the unlimited availability of paint-by-numbers bedroom Mac recordings [i]is a good thing[/i]. It really is very depressing.
[/quote]

Which is why you should listen to what you like, if you like old stuff cool, if you prefer newer music great, listening to either doesn't make you a better or worse person, judging someone on what they listen to or listening to something just to make yourself seem cool makes you a twat.

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]The nostalgia circuit is big business[/b] but that doesn't make it relevant.[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Borne out by ticket prices. I saw The Who and The Stones play football stadiums in the 70s way before they became boring old farts, for a couple of quid a ticket ( £2.30 for The Who at Charlton Athletics gound iirc ) a good weekly wage then would have been £40 or so, so the ticket cost 5% of my wage packet.

A good wage is 10 times that now, but a ticket will cost way way more than twenty quid, and the band nowhere near as good...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1419199904' post='2637594']
No more so than the 'I'm really down with the kids music' middle-aged men who pretend to like any old sh*t if it might make the teenage supermarket check-out girl see past the ear hair and the grey chest wig. It is a tragic thing to observe, somewhat akin to Dad-dancing or wearing over-tight blue jeans.

The problem is that many of these types can't bear to see themselves as 'Clarksons' well on their way to being worm food. The idea of dignified maturity entirely eludes them.

So - anyway - they trumpet their love of 'ground-breaking new music', blissfully unaware that the target audience of 20 year-olds looks at them and thinks 'Who is that silly old c**t?'

This denial of reality leads the wrinkly hipster into the hilariously unsustainable argument that today's music is [i]really great[/i] and that the unlimited availability of paint-by-numbers bedroom Mac recordings [i]is a good thing[/i]. It really is very depressing to see such widespread cognitive dissonance simply because people can't handle the concept of mortality.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Hey, that's me your talking about.

However, I don't have any chest hair, and that check out girl at Walgreen's really likes me. :D

Blue

PS: Funny, you know, last night when we were doing some sort sound check, some guy walks up to me and asked me if the lead guitarist was my daughter. I was pissed and hurt.

Edited by blue

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1419200842' post='2637610']
Borne out by ticket prices. I saw The Who and The Stones play football stadiums in the 70s way before they became boring old farts, for a couple of quid a ticket ( £2.30 for The Who at Charlton Athletics gound iirc ) a good weekly wage then would have been £40 or so, so the ticket cost 5% of my wage packet.

A good wage is 10 times that now, but a ticket will cost way way more than twenty quid, and the band nowhere near as good...
[/quote]

Yeah, but that's an opinion. Hell, I saw The Stones in 1972 at Madison Square Garden, several times in between seeing them in Chicago in 2013. Their show is different, no doubt, but IMO still a rush and still good.

Blue