Why become a member? ×

Using a music stand in a covers band

bonzodog

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1419183285' post='2637345']
I am fairly lucky.....my band is a Hawkwind Covers/Trib band so true to the original we never have to play anything the same way twice.

[/quote]
So you'll need a music stand to remind you what you did last time, i.e. what not to play. I imagine it as a kind of Les Dawson on acid.

I am a Jazz musician and we never have to play the same thing once.

I have used a music stand every gig and have done for the last 30 years. Never done me any 'arm. I also do covers gigs when there isn't any real work around and I use a music stand there to because I don't know any tunes. What makes oi larf is that on the two covers band gigs I do, the charts are so poor, I may as well not bother and end up jamming the whole thing :lol:

I don't use a stand in the main covers band. Guitarist uses an iPad on his mic stand, partly because it connects to his multieffects and sets it to the right patch for each song. Mrs Zero currently uses a stand but is trying to get the last few numbers memorised as she doesn't want to use it. Hasn't seemed to make anyone leave though, we rely on the music for that.

Depped for my old club band on Saturday. Used a stand for the set list and for cribsheets for a few songs, with the top about where my waist (or equator) is. Ironically, the guitarist, who has been doing these songs for ten years or more, has his book on his stand at chest height, and the vocalist, who's done them a fair few times too, also had his stand at chest height.

I think it's terribly amateurish when singers have to use lyric sheets.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLdV9qDziY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLdV9qDziY[/url]

Edited by tauzero

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424007592' post='2691432']
I'm not familiar with the flat ones, what are they like ?
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/chaylockyer/media/CMS-1-heavy-duty-music-stand-professonal-conductors_zpsvsfdcr4h.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/CMS-1-heavy-duty-music-stand-professonal-conductors_zpsvsfdcr4h.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

or

[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/chaylockyer/media/niltonstudiomusicstand-madeinsweden__zpswnbftwev.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/niltonstudiomusicstand-madeinsweden__zpswnbftwev.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In Cardiff I'm not sure any are actually for sale as they are all pinched from Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one without RWMCD stamped on it somewhere.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424012472' post='2691499']
Mine is the kind in the pic too - from Thomann
[/quote]

Yep - and mine!! Ordered it via my local music shop.

You'll all be very pleased that I didn't use one for my New Years eve gig.......... Only a couple of bum changes mostly in one song but I did use a sheet for one song - it was perched on the floor. There was simply not enough room for my music stand!! The singer had one for the words and the keyboard player had one.

I use an ipad these days; the guitarist still uses his stand and folder of songs - we don't have a set list, we just play for 3 hours and chose the next song in the middle of the one we're playing to keep the audience dancing - I don't use it for every song and usually wander around the stage playing pranks & smiling at people but we've about 175 songs on our list and it's handy for those that we don;t regularly play.

The other brilliant thing is people can request a song, if its not on our list and we think we have a fair chance at nailing it, I'll download it and we'll play it - people love that.

My previous drummer was very old-school and had a huge irrational hatred of the fact that our new singer likes to have a stand with the lyrics on. She's an absolute firecracker of energy on stage and there's no question that she's totally engaged with the audience, but just wants the words there to catch any occasional "oops" moment. Never had a negative comment about it from a single punter / venue manager / agent

Anyhow, said drummer departed in time (for reasons other than the music stand) and I was explaining the whole thing to my (non musician) girlfriend. She gave me the wise point of view that to the non-musos in the audience, there's so much stuff on stage (mic stands, PA stands, light stands, backline, drums etc) that the uninitiated have little to no clue what any of it does. They're just there to listen to the music and watch the band perform. Slipping the odd look at a lyric folder means nothing to them at all

[quote name='NickH' timestamp='1424197502' post='2693763']
I was explaining the whole thing to my (non musician) girlfriend. She gave me the wise point of view that to the non-musos in the audience, there's so much stuff on stage (mic stands, PA stands, light stands, backline, drums etc) that the uninitiated have little to no clue what any of it does. They're just there to listen to the music and watch the band perform. Slipping the odd look at a lyric folder means nothing to them at all
[/quote]

I think we made it a rule around page 2 that sensible answers would be banned, this is not allowed, grab your stand and walk out, do not pass go or collect your £200 :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

The painter at work has made me a stencil to spray onto the back of my music stand.....it say 'Music Stand'.

I feel this gives fair warning to the crowd that they can walk out should they be disgusted at the use of said stand but that at least i have fulfilled my duty of care to warn them.