Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB series - talk me through them please!

Paul S

I might be persuaded to let go of my BB414BP (Black Pearlescent) if the trade on my Hartke LH1000 goes through. It's a great bass. I must have had at least ten BB414's and 415's over the years (check my avatar). I get a GAS attack, sell it, regret it, then go searching for another. They're not in such plentiful supply as they once were and I've struggled to find one the last couple of times. You'd find it hard to get a better bass for £150

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1414152844' post='2586466']
I *think* the 41x's have a different (slightly slimmer) neck to the other current models - 42x/102x/202x

I've recently picked up a 1024, and I love it - a rock monster!
[/quote]

Yup, the neck on my BB1025X is a bit thicker front to back than my old BB415!

I've got a BB1100S, which I picked up secondhand for £150 from eBay - a few years ago now. The neck is the nicest thing about it, a bit thinner than a Jazz I think, and very easy to play. I've changed all the parts on it, the most important upgrade being a set of Hipshot lightweight tuners, which fixed the head droop nicely and brought the weight down a fair bit. I've tried more expensive basses, some a lot more expensive, but don't think I've played anything I like better. It does a great Precision sound.

The only thing I haven't swapped out is the preamp which, as far as I can tell, is perfectly transparent. The three-band eq is great for on-stage tweaking, and I rarely have to touch the amp during a gig.

I used to have a very early JV Precision as well, which is not probably worth around a grand now, but I sold it and kept the Yammy.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1414172413' post='2586749']
I've got a BB1100S, which I picked up secondhand for £150 from eBay - a few years ago now. The neck is the nicest thing about it, a bit thinner than a Jazz I think, and very easy to play. I've changed all the parts on it, the most important upgrade being a set of Hipshot lightweight tuners, which fixed the head droop nicely and brought the weight down a fair bit. I've tried more expensive basses, some a lot more expensive, but don't think I've played anything I like better. It does a great Precision sound.

The only thing I haven't swapped out is the preamp which, as far as I can tell, is perfectly transparent. The three-band eq is great for on-stage tweaking, and I rarely have to touch the amp during a gig.

I used to have a very early JV Precision as well, which is not probably worth around a grand now, but I sold it and kept the Yammy.
[/quote]
completly agree only that mine is still original. Best value basses out there.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1414167813' post='2586691']
Hey MoJo, the BB414 I mentioned a few posts back is the white one you sold me a few months ago.....rock monster!! Gig it regularly, best sounding bass I have, bit weird looking but so what!!
[/quote]

Good to hear it's still serving you well. The Vintage White and Orange Metallic are my two favourites.

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1414501622' post='2589861']
completly agree only that mine is still original. Best value basses out there.
[/quote]
Because they are relatively cheap now, they are ideal for modding, but I believe they were more expensive than USA Precisions when they were new.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, and sorry for my bad english - I'm from France.

As for BB Yammies, I had a BB7s and currently have a lovely BB2000, both from the same late'70s - early'80s era.

These are different birds. The BB7s is a bolt-on medium scale. Very light and comfy with its C-shaped neck, nice string tension which I remind being pretty close to a long scale bass. Perfect fret-levelling and nice low action too. It was not a top-grade Yammy but components and attention to details were impressive. She sounded terrific too, with a real deeeeeep split coil pickup, and a lovely barking jazz pup near the bridge. Definitely not a toy.

The BB2000 is heavier, mine is about 10 lbs, which is fairly what you'd expect from these models. B-shaped neck, gorgeous ebony fingerboard. She has a massive sound with more presence than the the BB7S. Her reverse P-jazz pup combination is not so common, very useful though.

Both are great basses, I guess it's the same for the other BB models from that era. Yamaha did - and does - great job. I recently had a try on an old PB-400R, what a PBass (B-shaped neck and 9lbs) !

Edited by hoochiekoochie

• 2 months later...

I bought a BB404 about 15 years ago, and although I keep it as a back up, it is a cracking good bass, beautiful to play. The only 'fault' is the ends of the frets are a bit sharp, but I guess these could easily be filed if I could be bothered...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought a BB414 (from MoJo) a little while ago and used it for the first time at rehearsal last night. To say I was surprised would be an understatement - I was very impressed indeed. It is actually a touch heavier than I would usually like but hangs so well when wearing it that it doesn't notice. I may change the tuners for lightweight ones if it becomes a problem. The neck is very nice, a bit thicker in the hand than most Jazz basses but not a plank, either. In fact the general build quality is better than I expected. Tone-wise is where it impressed me most - woody with a character way beyond its price point. Playing around the 7th/8th fret really brought that out - a lovely sound indeed. It sat in the mix like a Precision - tone up at half was very aggressive but rolled off completely gave a nice 'old school thump'. Dial in just a touch more treble and I found my sweet spot. Hard to believe I could get such a playable bass with such a great tone for such a small amount of money.

What, if anything, does a 424 (and beyond) bring to the party that the 414 lacks?

424 has angled through body stringing and a 5 piece maple/nato neck over and above what the 414 has. The posher ones add stuff like different pickups (P with blades instead of pole piece pairs), spline jointed bodies, maple/mahogany neck instead of maple/nato, nickel silver nut (same material as frets so in theory open strings sound more similar to fretted ones), and some mad wood treatments which claim to make the wood "old" but fresh from the factory.

• Like 1

I don't play a lot of Low B 5, but like having one as a gig comes through that requires one every now and then.
I picked up a BB 615 second hand, mint, for £180 :-P
SOOO much bass for that money!
Even new, GAK had them for £299, which is still brilliant!

Si

• Like 1

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1425381390' post='2706654']
Well, I bought a BB414 (from MoJo) a little while ago and used it for the first time at rehearsal last night. To say I was surprised would be an understatement - I was very impressed indeed. It is actually a touch heavier than I would usually like but hangs so well when wearing it that it doesn't notice. I may change the tuners for lightweight ones if it becomes a problem. The neck is very nice, a bit thicker in the hand than most Jazz basses but not a plank, either. In fact the general build quality is better than I expected. Tone-wise is where it impressed me most - woody with a character way beyond its price point. Playing around the 7th/8th fret really brought that out - a lovely sound indeed. It sat in the mix like a Precision - tone up at half was very aggressive but rolled off completely gave a nice 'old school thump'. Dial in just a touch more treble and I found my sweet spot. Hard to believe I could get such a playable bass with such a great tone for such a small amount of money.

What, if anything, does a 424 (and beyond) bring to the party that the 414 lacks?
[/quote]

You got one! Well done. :D

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1425381390' post='2706654']

[/quote]

I can't tell the difference tonally or in terms of playability between the 414 and the 424X. The through-body stringing and 5-piece neck seem to make no difference whatsoever. I think the only differences are cosmetic

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1425381936' post='2706661']
424 has angled through body stringing and a 5 piece maple/nato neck over and above what the 414 has. The posher ones add stuff like different pickups (P with blades instead of pole piece pairs), spline jointed bodies, maple/mahogany neck instead of maple/nato, nickel silver nut (same material as frets so in theory open strings sound more similar to fretted ones), and some mad wood treatments which claim to make the wood "old" but fresh from the factory.
[/quote]
[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1425391921' post='2706812']
I can't tell the difference tonally or in terms of playability between the 414 and the 424X. The through-body stringing and 5-piece neck seem to make no difference whatsoever. I think the only differences are cosmetic
[/quote]

Thanks chaps! Being a simple sort of fellow I don't see much mileage in trying the posher ones.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1425391457' post='2706809']
You got one! Well done. :D
[/quote]

Yes. Seemed easier than going through the DRC to give yours a try! :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1425391921' post='2706812']
[/quote]

Hmm...when I played a 414 - admittedly a while ago, and not a direct A/B - I got the distinct feeling that the neck was quite different to a 424. I thought the 414 felt shallower.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1425392937' post='2706835']
Thanks chaps! Being a simple sort of fellow I don't see much mileage in trying the posher ones.
[/quote]

I've played 414's and 424's, and I now own a 1024. While the differences seem small on the face of it, as a whole I found the 1024 to be a worthwhile step up. And they do sound different (for better or worse, depending on your tonal goals).

Not knocking the 414/424 mind - they're bloody marvellous.

The 424 feels and sounds very familiar after years of owning 414's. If someone is thinking of 'upgrading' to 424, I'd recommend paying the extra and get the 1024 which is a different beast by all accounts

Picked up a BB414 off eBay for £148 plus £20 P&P the other day after a fellow bass chatter showed me his BB 614 and hold me it was his best bass,and he had five others including Warwick. So,preferring a passive bass, I bid for a 414 not expecting to get it so cheaply and voila! It was in excellent unmarked wine red although I don't think it had been played for ages as strings had signs of rust and fretboard dirty and dry but after a bit of 000 steel wool and some lemon oil on the fret board and a good clean and polish and new strings and set up it is now like new.

These really are underrated basses and I have a plan to buy as many as I can before they are recognised for their true worth and their values rocket!. It so comfortable to play with a fast neck and a deep raspy sound and whilst similar to my MIM precision it has a deeper tone. Also the P/J setup is excellent giving more tone options and the bridge pickup is unusually the same volumes the neck pickup. Mind you I still marginally prefer my Gibson T'Bird it is just second and I suspect when I have a chance to use at band practice I will prefer how it it sits in the mix.

Problem now is I am gassing for 1024, having tried one in local music shop. The question is though will I tell the difference back at home? Could I just put on 1024 pick ups and keep the 414, which imo has a easier neck to play.....and how would I explain another bass to Mrs S if I bought a 1024.

Edited by Shylock

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]Just looked up the serial number of my BB3000. [/font][/color]

[b]QJZ013F[/b][color=#333333][font=Georgia,] gives [b]'Custom Shop, Made in Japan[/b][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Georgia,][b], December 2004'[/b] . [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]Q=0 & J=4 (2004). [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]Z=December, [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]013 = Unit number, [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]F = Internal code.[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Georgia,]The code on my BB1000S (131468) is not as specific, and just gives 1984. [/font][/color]

I bought my BB425 just before Christmas and it has done all but one gig this year effectively temporarily retiring my green Precision Special FSR for the foreseeable.

I bought it as a stepping stone to getting back into playing 5 string again but to be honest I love the bass and the way it sounds and I'm now wondering if I need to go any further up the price list at all or stick with what I have.

I couldn't get a decent action with the factory D'addario strings so I bought a set of D'addario EXL165-5 as they are roughly the same tension ( excluding the B ) as the Chromes I like on the Precision.

Once fitted and allowed to settle I think I managed to drop the string height by 3-4mm on some strings. The 135 B was so thick that when I strung it through the body it wouldn't sit on the saddle when tuned to pitch so I fed it through the bridge and it's fine there.

I have always wanted a BB5000 since I was a boy and with my 40th looming I think it's a contender for a present but I like my basses to look pristine but I can't see me finding one in mint condition.

Are the pickups as powerful on the BB5000 as they are on the BB425 or would I have to go for the BB5000a?

I think the BB-NE2 might be out of my price range, much as I love Nathan East's playing and his sound

Edited by Delberthot