Why become a member? ×

Upside down bass stringing

Black Coffee

I play this way. Lefty instruments were scarce and I was happy enough playing on righty basses in the local guitar shops.
I kept to small-bodied symmetrical bodies to cut down the obvious problems, eg Hofner 500/1, Gibson EBO, Steinberger...

Now play proper lefties but still strung upside down of course.

Bass soloist, Jeff Schmidt is left-handed but plays on a right-handed bass with the highest string at the top. That technique has contributed to him developing a unique style difficult for others to duplicate in a standard stringing format.

There are many videos on YouTube of his work.

Edited by TolerancEJ

I saw a guitarist recently playing like this - one of Limehouse Lizzy's pair was a leftie playing a right handed guitar flipped over. That kind of rock lead guitar playing looks really odd played upside down and it was difficult not to just sit and watch.

I've always played a flipped righty. Began on bass 25 odd years ago by playing along to Sex Pistols, Ramones and other punk stuff so it was mainly root notes and I found it easier as it was all on the E and A strings. Played in bands on and off since early 90's. Moved on from the dum-dum-dum-dum days but self taught so my technique would have many of you wincing!

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1412008015' post='2564792']
Andy McCluskey of Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark plays right handed upside down! I always wondered why, it's not logical for a right handed player to do this.

[/quote]
Ah you have solved my quest,I knew one must exist! Are there any more? I can only see that they must have picked up a lefty bass or guitar when starting.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][Quote] I was having a discussion today with someone in my studio about why I play bass with the strings upside down even though I am right handed. I told them that it was because my first bass was a left handed Wilson Rapier that I bought in a second hand shop in Birkenhead in 1975. It was the only one I could afford ( I was 16 at the time). It cost me £32. ... Andy McCluskey[/size][/font] ... [url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/mp3downloads.htm"]http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/mp3downloads.htm[/url][/quote]

I used to play with a keys player who also played a bit of guitar & bass - he always played the flipped. He told me that it was because he was the only corrie-fister (left hander) in the family & he had 3 older brothers who played guitar/bass. He learned to play (& he wasn't bad, but a much better keys player) by picking up his brothers' instruments thus saving himself mucho dinero!

It might be interesting to find out if those mentioned above as playing flipped learned on their older brothers' instruments.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne