Why become a member? ×

Gibson 'New for 2015' offerings. Sigh.

NancyJohnson

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1411897385' post='2563558']

You shall continue until [b]you think[/b] they have made a decent one. That's my point. Minus the beer and rum.

If you could prefix your non-factual opinion pieces with "I think" or suffix them with "IMO" instead of presenting them as fact that'd be an acceptable compromise. But as it stands right now, as far as I'm concerned you're nothing but a stirrer with nothing useful to add to the conversation and even less respect for other people and their preferences.
[/quote]

Where can I get my ham toasty?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1411918145' post='2563867']

Jesus Christ get some perspective, it's some wood with some metal screwed to it, who cares, yes I have strong opinions, who cares?
[/quote]

You've met someone who has opposing strong opinions. Your sudden attempt to trivialise things smacks of a bully who has been caught out and is rapidly trying to back out with a "we're all friends here" gambit. You started it, why are you wimping out on finishing it? You DO have a closing gambit to hold your weak opening gambit's hand, yes?

The issue seems to be that you are unable to distinguish between your opinion and actual facts, nothing to do with strong opinions.

I wish Gibson would put out some lefty gear, would love a Grabber, Ripper , RD or Thunderbird, they make some great looking basses. That's just my opinion though :P

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1411866970' post='2563440']
Why would a neck joint need shimming/shaving if it's made properly in the first place?
[/quote]

It wouldn't need adjustment - but I prefer having that adjustability. I also like being able to remove the neck easily to work on frets when the time comes for a polish/level, as well as just preferring a glueless joint.

I have nothing against those who prefer neck through or set neck construction basses - e.g. a single cut like this:

Or a Thunderbird from gibson:

But I'm definitely leaning towards the bolt on end of things - especially for wood instruments. The Status streamline is an example of a bass that has excellent reason for it's construction - graphite is stable and the instrument is trying to be as ergonomic as possible.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1411923186' post='2563933']
Gibson [i]have[/i] made some pretty basses IMO. The Thunderbirds pictured earlier are a prime example, as is the Les Paul Signature bass which was the basis of the Epi Jack Casady;

[/quote]

That's gorgeous - like the hofner club bass:

It tempts me to look at the non bolt on basses!

Interesting that they've finally gone for the bridge change. I'll be looking forward to opinions on how this works out ... never had a huge problem with the 3-pointers, though. (Except all the bits fall out when you have all the strings off at the same time and then you've no idea which one goes back where, and so you end up having to do all your intonation again once you've found all the saddles under the sofa or wherever they went ...).

Those pickups look horrendous on a T-Bird, though (IMO ;)). I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I don't care if it sounds fantastic - if it looks stupid you've lost before you play a note.

Wonder if Epiphone are planning any T-bird updates of any kind?

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1411998985' post='2564683']
Interesting that they've finally gone for the bridge change. I'll be looking forward to opinions on how this works out ... never had a huge problem with the 3-pointers, though. (Except all the bits fall out when you have all the strings off at the same time and then you've no idea which one goes back where, and so you end up having to do all your intonation again once you've found all the saddles under the sofa or wherever they went ...).
[/quote]

Saddles are marked 1,2,3,4 on my Epi.

Does the new bridge have the saddles too close to the string ball ends, so the overwind (and silk cover for some brands) sits on the saddle, or does it fix that?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1411928082' post='2564019']
And no, he is not Jim Carrey.
[/quote]

Aw :(

Anyway, to topic - I think it looks good. The EB pick-ups and coils worked well in that bass; the Babicz bridge is an improvement - what's not to like?

I assume the finishes will all have been completed on a Friday afternoon by someone wanting a beer, and Gibson will ask more than enough for it, but that's standard :)

I love the look of the t bird, the neck dive for me is an issue regardless of who that upsets, I can't just move along as suggested as my left hand is not for holding the neck up, it's for playing notes,very pretty basses though IMO.

On the other hand if they made a five string grabber I'd be first in the queue as would the fella from Paramore to save him swapping basses to his B-D one, grabber five in dark metallic almost black please please please Gibson!

Not a fan of the new look. Of course I'm someone who thinks the last "proper" Thunderbird bass was the Gibson 1976 re-issue.

And I don't like bolt-on necks. As others have said if the neck joint is made properly there's no need to remove the neck. None of the luthiers I know have any problem working on the frets of a set or through neck instrument. The Thunderbird was designed to have a through neck. Changing that takes away one of the essential qualities of the instrument IMO.

The bolt on neck of the Lull T-Bass is pretty much the only thing that makes me hesitate about buying one.