Why become a member? ×

Solutions to annoying the neighbours.. :-s

ZenBasses

So had a little run in with the neighbours regarding sound levels...

How embarrassed was I

Even though I was a little miffed as I am running a 30w Marshall practice amp combo . And it was 730pm..i do place the amp on the sofa on some cushions in order to deaden the sound. But anyway.. my bad...

I could spend sometime trawling through reviews and the like.

Basically I need to address this as I don't want to be upsetting the neighbours and I understand their view point.

My EBS Fafner and 4x10 cab isn't exactly usable hence the practice amp.

The Marshall has a line (headphone) out but it's woeful.

I was considering using the balanced out put from my EBS into maybe a headphone amp.

I also would require a decent(ish) set of cans to monitor though.

So here is my question..

Using the EBS Fafner as the 'source'

And within a budget of £150..(secondhand is fine).

What headphone amp (if that's the correct piece of gear) and cans would people recommend.

I usually play along with songs and stuff at home via my phone via Deezer or Google music so a input via 3.5mm jack / Bluetooth.

I also have a rack compressor and Korg tuner that I'd like to add to the mix.

I do have a 12 channel mixing desk but I'd rather have it not running through there as space in the man's room is limited and currently I don't have it setup.

All for £150

Or any other solutions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks peeps

I've seen these before.. These can be used to plug directly into the guitar.. I am not sure when using the amp to tone shape how it would fair up.

Also it have no input for the an external audio source.

But as with vox it'll be a fantastic piece of kit.. :)

Edited by ZenBasses

I always practice through an effects processor, Zoom B2.1u. A great tone of your choice. Might be better to get an FX processor with an aux input to give you the option of playing along to your fav. music. I was just talking with my neighbour yesterday about this subject and he never hears me so job done.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1410044402' post='2545692']
I've just ordered one of these: [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vox-amplug-2-headphone-amp-bass/103325?gclid=CNKTxMnYzcACFY_ItAod9BsApA"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFY_ItAod9BsApA[/url]

No idea if its any good but this is the V2 one with some extra toys. Sorry URL has not gone highlighted...
[/quote]

Fixed.
It just needed a space between the colon and the "http" bit. :-)

Personally, my best experience in such matters is avoiding tiny speakers that need a lot of excursion.
I don't know if there is science to support or deny this, but I've seen it many times that the sounds travelling through house rows were not from the guy with the big speakers and the punk music, but from the couple with the tiny set and the polite music.

Edited by BassTractor

i have a line 6 bass pod which you can use as a headphone practice amp although you would possibly also need a small mixer of some kind for a second audio stream

or if you have an iphone or ipad there is always the garage band / amplitube type solution?

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1410048523' post='2545722']
A little mixer like the behringer xenyx 502 with a good headphone for bass like a Sennheiser hd25-1.
[/quote]

OK with active basses but the low input impedance will noticeably drop off the highs with a passive. Most small mixers don't offer a high impedance (instrument) input.

I recently bought a small Alto zmx 52 mixer for £40 and I plug my bass into a Zoom b2, then the zoom and my computer into the mixer. Connect a decent set of headphone and Bob`s your funny auntie.

Sounds really nice. I wish I had done this years ago.

I personally use a USB audio interface to practice with.. makes playing a long to things really nice & easy!

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/733702/digid-design-mbox-2-audio-interface

+

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/sennheiser-hd201-closed-back-headphones.html

+

A computer/laptop you already have

= Good system for practising to yourself

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1410083664' post='2545877']

OK with active basses but the low input impedance will noticeably drop off the highs with a passive. Most small mixers don't offer a high impedance (instrument) input.
[/quote]
That sounds plausible. I have had no trouble with StingRay5, Dean stylist (passsive), MTD kingston 5(passive), or B.C.Rich Beast (dimarzio very hot passive).

A USB interface works ok, but you have to have a computer running.

The core of my recommendation is don't skimp on the headset. The difference between the sennheiser 201/202 and the hd25-1 is quite large.

For practicing and everything else I tend to plug into my Focusrite interface into Logic Pro and either monitor through headphones if it's really late, or through my monitors in the daytime.

I have a project in Logic entitled 'practicing', it's just a DI simulator. You can import audio onto a track or tracks, so if I'm working on a set for someone, I'll just import all their songs and I can play along to them, repeating sections if I need to.

I also have Transcribe software on my laptop, so this set up is great, if I'm transcribing something.

Wow

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Unfortunately being a mid terrace always has the sound transfer problems

I am really liking the look of the Phil Jones Bass buddy.. Looks like it ticks all the right boxes..

Might mean saving a little more and just dealing with the cans I have now. The hd-251s have received great reviews.

It just a case now of finding some good hand gear..

It's not the kinda Gas I am use too as I am really a bass - lead - amp kinda player...

Once again.

Sorry to the neighbours :)

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005CNR7B0/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0X9MNTMBN4E48ND1NS52&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile#productDescription_secondary_view_pageState_1410109491809[/url]

Interesting and a good price.. Anyone had any experience?

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here but maybe play quieter?

This isn't a sarcastic dig by the way :)

Only this weekend I've been having a similar conversation with friends about home practice volumes. I've noticed whenever I've been to view or deliver a bass I'm amazed at how loud people play at home. I play bass but seriously if they lived next door I'd be properly narked! I don't understand why it needs to be so loud. I'm starting to sound like my dad 30 years ago now, so....

Anyway, good luck in your search. I've used an Irig but I wouldn't recommend getting one

[color=#222222]I have the Vox Amplug, and for the money, it's very good. Sound quality could be a bit better (there's a bit of background hiss), but it was only £30, is small & compact and does a very good job. If you want to spend a bit more money, something like the sfx H1 headphone amp looks amazing. [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/h1/"][color="#0000ff"]http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/h1/[/color][/url] A fair number of folks on here have one, and it seems to get universally excellent reviews. Definitely on my GAS list - think they come on at around £130, these days.[/color]