Why become a member? ×

What is it I don't like about Ernie Ball guitars?

thisnameistaken

I like the way they look, apart from the Stingray 5 and the Silhouette guitar, and I often like the way they songs on record, but every time I pick one up it just feels massively underwhelming.

I had a fretless Stingray a while back which was just meh. I keep looking at Sabres because I love the look but I know I won't find it inspiring to play.

A friend of mine has a Stingray 5 that he loves and also a Silhouette guitar, and I respect this guy's opinions in general, and he's very sincere about how much he likes this stuff, but I've played both these guitars and they just feel... Playmobil, to me. They feel exceptionally mass-produced to me, almost like plastic. That probably sounds weird.

Like I said though I am inclined to like these guitars because i think they're pretty and all, but every time i pick one up there's just no spark.

Are they really that different to other guitars?

I can't make you like what you have decided not to like, but try a MM Sterling. Slimmer neck, different body and electronics.
It may just not be your bag though. Shame, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

It may just be me but.
Who really cares if you don't like something ?
It just seems a little dumb to ask why you don't like some thing, could be because you just don't,
Just don't buy one SIMPLES ! :gas: :gas:

Edited by bigd1

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1408524940' post='2530945']
It may just be me but.
Who really cares if you don't like something ?
It just seems a little dumb to ask why you don't like some thing, could be because you just don't,
Just don't buy one SIMPLES ! :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

Hear hear, too true, just buy what you like....... easy

I'm the same with Fenders to be honest. Seen some gorgeous Fenders and had people I know adore them but whenever I've played one I've just been meh with it. So I'm agreeing with everyone here on the 'just don't get one' point. They look pretty but if you know you won't play it then it's pointless really. :)

The classic 5 might be more up your street, looks like a normal 70s stingray but they feel quite special compared to the standard models, tinted birdseye neck, slimmer profile, great finish on some cool colour options.

That said I agree the SR5 isn't the prettiest bass but they are work horses and very versatile in the right hands, it should have been called the silhouette bass from the start really and is quite 80s in is appearance.

There are loads of basses I don't like, p basses, Ricks, Gibsons, status etc so I just don't own any, problem solved :D

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1408551859' post='2531303']
I have had a few 4 string stingrays in my hands and found them to be a bit chunky and heavy for my liking. However the Sterling 4 is much more my cup of tea. Smaller, lighter, 3 way switch and lovely slim neck which suited my relatively small hands.
[/quote]

Very much as above, I have long struggled with Stingrays they were all very much "meh" I recently picked up a Sterling Ray34, I really liked the way it played but it sounded woeful compared to the Stingrays....a Delano pickup and a John East preamp later and finally I have the Musicman bass I always lusted after......just need a sunburst fretless and pickup and preamp and bank loan and doh!

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1408551859' post='2531303']I have had a few 4 string stingrays in my hands and found them to be a bit chunky and heavy for my liking. However the Sterling 4 is much more my cup of tea. Smaller, lighter, 3 way switch and lovely slim neck which suited my relatively small hands.[/quote]

That Strat-style switch is the only thing I don't like about the Sterling, although I never liked the switch on the Yamaha BBs either but it didn't stop me buying one. :)

As for the 'Classic 5', I do like the look of those but damn they're expensive.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1408485613' post='2530737']
I like the way they look, apart from the Stingray 5 and the Silhouette guitar, and I often like the way they songs on record, but every time I pick one up it just feels massively underwhelming.

I had a fretless Stingray a while back which was just meh. I keep looking at Sabres because I love the look but I know I won't find it inspiring to play.

A friend of mine has a Stingray 5 that he loves and also a Silhouette guitar, and I respect this guy's opinions in general, and he's very sincere about how much he likes this stuff, but I've played both these guitars and they just feel... Playmobil, to me. They feel exceptionally mass-produced to me, almost like plastic. That probably sounds weird.
[/quote]

That's exactly the way I've always found them; they just feel cheap & mass produced to me, not to mention big, heavy & cumbersome.
The Stingray 5 I had was one of the biggest disappointments of any bass I've owned; I got it "as new" for an incredibly low price & still felt that it wasn't worth the money.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1408559306' post='2531391']

That Strat-style switch is the only thing I don't like about the Sterling, although I never liked the switch on the Yamaha BBs either but it didn't stop me buying one. :)

As for the 'Classic 5', I do like the look of those but damn they're expensive.
[/quote]

Gratuitous Classic5 shot
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_172713_zps44232f7c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130623_172713_zps44232f7c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It has all the bits you want without the silhouette styling or selector switch, sealed neck that is super slim forget chunky base ball bats etc, mine has a John East 2 band eq too.

It looks, plays and sounds the nuts :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1408561066' post='2531412']

That's exactly the way I've always found them; they just feel cheap & mass produced to me, not to mention big, heavy & cumbersome.
The Stingray 5 I had was one of the biggest disappointments of any bass I've owned; I got it "as new" for an incredibly low price & still felt that it wasn't worth the money.
[/quote]

I feel the same. The ones I've played all felt very cheap and always disappointed, weight wise, tonally and aestheically. I've played sub £300 Epiphone basses that are built to a higher standard and have a better tone and that's saying something. They are a big company so will always have the fanboys who love them but I just don't get it.

Saying all that, I like Fender. I imagine the guys who love Stingrays etc will think I'm a mug for liking Fender. Different strokes and all that jazz :-)

Im not sure what people want making built to a higher standard? I have played Allevas and Sadowsky basses, Roscoes and GB basses and although some had fancy woods on show none were built any better really, the neck pockets, paint finish and hardware are perfect on all three of my current ones as was my SR4,the bridge is of a higher quality than any fender bass, the tuners are bang on, they dont have neck dive, the pre eb basses were more Fender like and more hand finished feeling I suppose but I see that more of a negative with the typical Fender hit and miss build quality they have be known for with the now bad 70s ones, brilliant 2008s etc , if you are used to one type of bass your ears tune into it imo, anything else just wont work for that person, I cant use a P live as I just get a thin cutting tone from them no matter what amp I use with them plus I have never played a nice Fender 5 ever, not once in 25 years!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1408566358' post='2531470']

I feel the same. The ones I've played all felt very cheap and always disappointed, weight wise, tonally and aestheically. I've played sub £300 Epiphone basses that are built to a higher standard and have a better tone and that's saying something. They are a big company so will always have the fanboys who love them but I just don't get it.

Saying all that, I like Fender. I imagine the guys who love Stingrays etc will think I'm a mug for liking Fender. Different strokes and all that jazz :-)
[/quote]

A mate of mine loves Rickenbackers and has a 4001 as well as 12 and 6 strings guitars. I just don't get it. They really do feel cheap and plastic to me as well as being expensive and twangy sounding. But, like you, I love Fenders, which many would also say I'm a mug for! Choice is a wonderful thing. 1st world problems and all that...

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1408567994' post='2531492']

A mate of mine loves Rickenbackers and has a 4001 as well as 12 and 6 strings guitars. I just don't get it. They really do feel cheap and plastic to me as well as being expensive and twangy sounding. But, like you, I love Fenders, which many would also say I'm a mug for! Choice is a wonderful thing. 1st world problems and all that...
[/quote]

Totally agree! I think the existence of various basses is important. Without what I consider to be horrible basses I'd not like what I have so much :-)

I'd rather this didn't turn into a battle of the fanboys. I've got basses by several manufacturers and my favourite is a Warwick Thumb which f***ing nobody on here likes.

My mate's Silhouette really surprised me. He took a photo with the pickguard off and the routing really surprised me. You could put a packed lunch in there, they'd just routed the whole lot, one big void. WTF?