Why become a member? ×

What is it I don't like about Ernie Ball guitars?

thisnameistaken

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1408566358' post='2531470']

I feel the same. The ones I've played all felt very cheap and always disappointed, weight wise, tonally and aestheically. I've played sub £300 Epiphone basses that are built to a higher standard and have a better tone and that's saying something. They are a big company so will always have the fanboys who love them but I just don't get it.

Saying all that, I like Fender. I imagine the guys who love Stingrays etc will think I'm a mug for liking Fender. Different strokes and all that jazz :-)
[/quote]

😳 Epiphones better build quality than a Stingray???? You must have tried some real dog 'rays. As a rule (and certainly in my experience) their build quality is far more consistent than a great number of manufacturers including Fendar and certainly Epiphone.

As you say, some basses 'fit' players and others don't. That's ultimately what it comes down to.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1408534075' post='2531084']
I hear ya
i love the look of Stingrays & have owned 2 in the past but neither did anything for me so were promptly moved on.
[/quote]

I'm kinda the same...but t'other way about. I love the sound of 'em (as long as it's not me playing them...) but they just look f'ugly to me.

The silhouette is just the same as strat and most guitars that use a loaded pick guard design, give a strat a tap between the pickups and down to the pots and you can hear that it's hollow, the silo and other makes like Ibanez offer HSH HSS or SSS pickup configurations so they need to remove wood from both sides of the outer pickups, part of the beauty of that is people can and do swap pickup types and brands just by swapping the pick guard.

I've got a few Stingrays and my 80s EB is just a great bass to play I've had from new and it's all beat up but it's fantastic and very versatile. My fretless from the 90s is very a good bass and it's potentially my sh*t fretless playing but it doesn't feel quite the same though it looks beautiful. The pre-EB is a different beast but I love playing it and it sounds tremendous. I had an SR5 and I just couldn't get on with it, it was really, really heavy and I found it to be just to full on and aggressive sounding but I'd really like to try the classic 5 string.

Dunno if this adds to the conversation but I suppose there are variations in models. I've never really had a fender for any length of time and really didn't like the last one I had but I wouldn't discount buying one if it felt right.

Gotta say, and I know this is old ground, but I find the build quality on my Rickie to be absolutely fine and no neck dive but it is harder to play than my other basses. I pretty much played a stingray from the late 80s so I'm more used to them.

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1408607342' post='2531652']
I've got a few Stingrays and my 80s EB is just a great bass to play I've had from new and it's all beat up but it's fantastic and very versatile. My fretless from the 90s is very a good bass and it's potentially my sh*t fretless playing but it doesn't feel quite the same though it looks beautiful. The pre-EB is a different beast but I love playing it and it sounds tremendous. I had an SR5 and I just couldn't get on with it, it was really, really heavy and I found it to be just to full on and aggressive sounding but I'd really like to try the classic 5 string.

Dunno if this adds to the conversation but I suppose there are variations in models. I've never really had a fender for any length of time and really didn't like the last one I had but I wouldn't discount buying one if it felt right.
[/quote]
As someone who has owned two pre eb basses I can confirm that the classic five is as near to a pre eb as you will find with a B string, alnico pickup, same eq, strung thru bridge, finished neck, it's all there but with the six bolt neck and wheel of fortune truss rod adjuster :)

Most SR5s out there are ceramic pickup loaded and with the 3eq preamp and pickup selector you can see why people can find them different, my 2007 is a very late ceramic one and I love it now, you won't find a bass that can cut an on stage mix like it, sometimes it might not be the sound you want but at least you can be heard where a jazz would have been swallowed leaving you playing around trying to find the right amount of each pickup, I say this as a jazz bass liker and user, the ceramic in series is just a beast!

Don't know if I'm lucky or have just got really low standards, but the build quality on both my MM basses, a 2010 Stingray and a 2013 Bongo, is first class. As others have said, some basses and guitars just don't do it for some people, whilst others love them. Whenever I play my friends Wal I can't wait to give it back, yet another friend of ours is obsessed with it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408608171' post='2531664']
Most SR5s out there are ceramic pickup loaded and with the 3eq preamp and pickup selector you can see why people can find them different, my 2007 is a very late ceramic one and I love it now, you won't find a bass that can cut an on stage mix like it, sometimes it might not be the sound you want but at least you can be heard where a jazz would have been swallowed leaving you playing around trying to find the right amount of each pickup, I say this as a jazz bass liker and user, the ceramic in series is just a beast!
[/quote]

My SR5 was a really up front bass just found switching between basses a bit of a pain in the arse as it was just so I'M HERE! I spent all my time trying to even out the sound. But again no fault of the bass and it was quite a looker. I'll try the Classic when I get a chance I think they look tremendous.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408608408' post='2531670']
I've tried to love them, I loaned one and gigged it, but it tipped up all night, I looked at others, they had razor sharp metal work, add a rubber ring they all said, so I looked again and the next few had sharp fret ends and crap binding or the finish was bleeding into the bindings, pah I give up :)
[/quote]

It has to be said I've had no quality issues but would have given up the ghost with the Rickie had the lads in the band not urged me to persevere. Glad I did as I love it now but completely get how people hate them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408608408' post='2531670']
I've tried to love them, I loaned one and gigged it, but it tipped up all night, I looked at others, they had razor sharp metal work, add a rubber ring they all said, so I looked again and the next few had sharp fret ends and crap binding or the finish was bleeding into the bindings, pah I give up :)
[/quote]
I have a 73 Rick that plays like a dream and G&L ASAT both of these in most peoples eyes have neck dive, neither of my basses have this problem.
Although that is not the point I was making.
I posted saying if you don't like something, then don't buy it. I can't see the mileage in the "I like/dislike coz" debate.
The great thing about the human race is we are all different, and have individual likes/dislikes, that's what makes the world go around.
Slagging this Bass against that Bass is pointless, it is just your opinion/taste.

Edited by bigd1

Now I really must be daft as I have had two 4-stringer Rays and just didn't like em. Both didn't feel right in my hands and both had the weak G string. However, my USA SUB is a different matter. It feels great, sounds great and doesn't have a weak treble. I must be weird.

FWIW I have no axe to grind, never really had much play time with EBMM products. Their USA stuff is too expensive (new) for me to even think of trying one out in a shop because I would be wasting their time. I occasionally look at the Big Al and go "hmmmm, interesting" but I can't see it happening any time soon (unless they release a Sterling variant - ooh!). I also am weird, because I much prefer the look of the SR5 (non classic) - I am not a big fan of chrome control plates - random shiny shape on my bass? - no thank you.

Saw someone play a Stingray at the weekend and it sounded horrible to me, all trebly, no substance to the sound - but that's probably due to interesting EQ settings on the guy's bass rather than the amp or the venue's PA - because I went on after with a different bass altogether and destroyed the place. An exaggeration, but a couple of people I was speaking to afterwards commented on the difference. Whenever people comment on anything to do with the bass, it must have been significant. I'm sure I've heard Stingrays sound great, so I know it's not the bass itself, but it's not a great advert for the brand having them sound weedy in public.

After owning a couple (4 & 5) and playing a few others I quickly realised they are not the bass for me. There was only ever one out of those few that I played that I did enjoy but I was unable to actually own it as it was practically impossible to pry it away from my ex-girlfriend who never touched it, although it got a lot of playing time when I was there.

For me they are an iconic bass with a unique tone, they were potentially the first coolest/most modern looking bass for the time and still look great today. However, they always sound better played by someone else in my experience and that's how I enjoy them.

A Lakland 44/55-02 is the perfect bass if I ever want the Stingray tone as well having more tonal options to choose from.

Edited by Josh

I look at EBMM as the sort of 'M&S' of the bass guitar world. Not cheap but high quality and consistent in that quality. If you like the style and the sound then that's great, if not then, as always, it's best to move on and spend your cash differently. I could understand somebody prefering a FenderJ or P because of the sound compared to a Ray but not because of the fit and finish.

Edited by martthebass

With regards to build quality, surely, not many of us are in a proper position to comment anyway.
I mean, i have owned a few basses, but never a good deal of any one model - therefore, my opinions are formed from my own very limited experience. To state all USA Precision (just an example) are of a lower quality than Musicman or Rick or any make, you probably should have owned a decent amount of each. Given that manaufactures make thousands and all the variables involved. It is unfair to say X is worse than Y because i have played 6 of X and one had rough frets, bad paint, badly alligned neck, or whatever. Especially as many shops don't set guitars up and that they have travelled half way across the globe to be in a local shop. Plus, we form brand allegiances and our opinions become exagerated and sometimes blinkered.

They are extremely well built basses (better than a lot of Fenders), they do feel somewhat 'clunky' to me though, I have to admit.

In the right hands, for the right music they're pretty much fantastic.

Though they never seem to work for me.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1408611208' post='2531708']
I posted saying if you don't like something, then don't buy it. I can't see the mileage in the "I like/dislike coz" debate.
The great thing about the human race is we are all different, and have individual likes/dislikes, that's what makes the world go around.
Slagging this Bass against that Bass is pointless, it is just your opinion/taste.
[/quote]

Well, as per the name of this site, we are here to chat about basses. Discussing likes and dislikes is surely what it's all about. I don't think that anyone is slagging any basses off here (well maybe a few are), but just asking what makes some people like one bass and other people another.

You're right it is totally down to individual choice, but as this is a discussion forum let's discuss things. Just pretend you were down the pub having a chat with a load [size=4]of bass players; I'm sure this sort of discussion would occur and be welcomed in those circumstances.[/size]

[size=4]I have got used to playing Ibanez SR series, and love the thin neck. By contrast the few Stingrays I've tried have necks like a tree trunk, and I know which I prefer, but people who play and like Stingrays probably hate Srs, and worry that the neck is going to snap at any moment![/size]
[size=4]No rights and wrongs, just different, but no reason not to discuss those differences (IMHO).[/size]