Why become a member? ×

The Aging Local Rock Musician

blue

It doesn't matter how old you are at all...

I'm 32 and only came back to bass playing last year after Eight years in the wilderness. I'm no better or worse than I was last time around but I'm much more comfortable in myself and my playing now I'm a bit older.... mind you I'm still younger than you lot...

I guess its about your approach. Trying to do the rock 'n' roll rebel thing when you are 'getting on' in years can look a bit silly but, if you approach the issue with humility, why worry? As a 51 year old jazzer, I recently did a gig with the 75 year old Peter King and he totally kicked our arses into next week! Lots of jazzers keep going until health or heart attacks prevent them continuing. As long as you have the chops and don't look a bit sad, there is no reason to stop.

As for what young kids think, I really don't give a rat's arse. There is nothing more uncool than a teenager who thinks s/he's cool.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1408442478' post='2530106']
... if we're on a bill with a band of 20 year olds they're more likely to be in bother than we are ...
[/quote]

I was playing in an 'average age 40-something hard-rocking psychedelic blues three piece' a few years ago. We had been booked to open for a group of '20-something full-time music students progressive metal band'.

We were nervous of their technical abilities but they liked our equipment - we provided the backline.

But our drummer counted 1-2-3-4 and the sound of our experience hit the back wall.

I think, they found it much harder to follow us than we would have done to follow them.

Having said that I wouldn't want to follow my 20 year old son's eight-piece gypsy dub band (as they call it).

Edited by EssentialTension

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I’m 52 and play in 2 bands.[/color][/font][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][font=Calibri]In one band I’m the oldest, but the guitarist & drummer are also 50’s – singer is mid-20’s. In the other band, the lead guitarist is 64 and only the singer (also mid-20’s) is younger than me!! [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/font] [/color][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I try to keep myself reasonably fit and I don’t touch alcohol at gigs (apart from needing to drive home afterwards I find that even 1 pint takes the edge off my playing) ;).[/color][/font][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=Calibri][color=#000000]It’s all about enjoyment (ok - and some extra cash too). Busting myself up about image or what other people think will count for nothing when my time on this earth is drawing to a close and I wish I’d just gone ahead and done what makes me happy.[/color][/font][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=Calibri][color=#000000]My bands both mostly play pubs and I echo one of the earlier comments pointing out that most pub punters these days are mid-30’s plus. [/color][/font][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][font=Calibri]And I never cease to be amazed that how many old standard songs that must be on just about every rock compilation album ever made still go down so well with a crowd. [/font][/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Krysbass

If your playing to an audience that cares about your age,
you're playing the wrong venues! lol

I started at about 20 years old, and gave up for over 20 years!!
I regret ever having given up
and started playing again around 6 years back

OK - I'm much older, playing 2nd time around
But I think I'm actually enjoying it more than ever

As it happens, I recently started playing the double bass too
.... so that didn't help my aching joints etc
But on the plus side, my old valve head with 2x5 and 4x12
weighed two tonnes, and gave me 150W

My rig is now a third of the size, a quarter of the weight,
and gives me 500W :o

PS. I've always been the oldest in every band I've been in, including current set-ups
But I recently joined a folk band - and am now the youngest in that band

..... does it bother me? nah
Some of my heroes of the bass are in their late 50's and 60's
and do I think any less of them? Nope

The important thing is, as even said - "You're enjoying your playing"
and long may it continue sir

Thanks for posting :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1408442478' post='2530106']
And the last time any of them carried a 4x12 up a fire escape in the pissing rain was.....? !!!! I'm nearly 53. The youngest in Doc B. Few aches and pains but why worry? What it means is I have 35 years experience and my energy is focussed rather than raw - which means if we're on a bill with a band of 20 year olds they're more likely to be in bother than we are. I won't go on forever but not because of age - it'll be because I've done it loads and want to do something else. I'm aware a lot of younger folk in an audience look at us warily if they don't know us but so long as we continue to have them dancing on tables by the end I don't really give a sh*t !
[/quote]

You might be surprised by Tony Levin, he not only does Peter Gabriel type gigs, he plays local bars and clubs when he's home.

My point was the playing thing, I've never carried a 4x12 up a fire escape in the rain either :) .

Age is just a number; attitude, application and being true to yourself are what count.
I'm not going to see 58 again, our drummer is retired, our lead guitarist is retired, our singer looks great for whatever age he is and our keyboard player doesn't care
We gig, we love it, we are happy to chew the fat with anyone from the audience and we all go home happy.
Why stop, it is well documented that playing (and listening to) music keeps parts of the brain active that are essential to longevity

Thank the lord for digital amps and lightweight cabs I say :)
We will carry on until carried off! :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1408449598' post='2530212']
I guess its about your approach. Trying to do the rock 'n' roll rebel thing when you are 'getting on' in years can look a bit silly but, if you approach the issue with humility, why worry? As a 51 year old jazzer, I recently did a gig with the 75 year old Peter King and he totally kicked our arses into next week! Lots of jazzers keep going until health or heart attacks prevent them continuing. As long as you have the chops and don't look a bit sad, there is no reason to stop.

As for what young kids think, I really don't give a rat's arse. There is nothing more uncool than a teenager who thinks s/he's cool.
[/quote]

I'm still working my 70s look. I think it's timeless and classic.

Blue

I think for some guys gigging was never there thing and thats fine.

Me, I can't imagine a weekend without work. What would I do, read a book, watch TV, go fishing, go to a movie. I would be lost. I really think for my age I'm a minority in more ways than 1. :)

Blue

I have a friend in the States who is into his 60's and he finds the amount of time
he is expected to play for really tough. I think he says they do 4x45 and 1x 60min.... FFS..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will only do 2 x 1 hrs max and admire guys playing well into their 60's
If they are good enough, they are old enough.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408462442' post='2530436']
Me, I can't imagine a weekend without work. What would I do, read a book, watch TV, go fishing, go to a movie. I would be lost. I really think for my age I'm a minority in more ways than 1. :)
[/quote]

Well, you needn't choose just one of those things and do it every weekend. You could try a bunch of different things, including gigging - life's short enough without spending it just doing one thing.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408462442' post='2530436']
I think for some guys gigging was never there thing and thats fine.

Blue
[/quote]
I woudln't want to be gigging every weekend, once or twice a month will do me.