Why become a member? ×

Peter Frampton throws phone

timmo

I've just got back from the Mediterranean and was amused to see people on boat trips around the harbour watching the entire trip through a viewfinder.

I personally don't like it but it's a sign of the modern world. I was at an acoustic gig 5yrs back where a once famous singer smashed an unattended phone that was ringing and all I thought was "that is actually someone else's property".

I sympathise with Peter Frampton but that could have been handled a very different way.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1407583140' post='2521989']
thinking a little more about this. I don't think anyone has the right to throw someones property about least of all if the owner paid to come and see the band/person etc. Tin hat is getting dusted off as we speak.
If no one had bought PF albums all those years ago, he might be playing in the 'Fox and Hound' tonight and pleased that someone turned up with or without a camera.
[/quote]

Buying someone's album doesn't give one the right to be an obnoxious, ignorant, rude plank...as was the case at the Peter Frampton gig.

Perhaps Peter Frampton would have been better to take the phone and give it to a person at the side of the stage, however, his reactions seem very understandable given the account given in that the person in the crowd had been repeatedly appealed to to desist.

If the phone was ringing then yes I think that would be a pain and of course inconsiderate to the other people especially at the ballet or a quiet acoustic gig. I crack up when my girlfriends phone 'quacks' with incoming texts if we are in company. I tend to keep my phone on silent.

Tricky one
A bit like nuclear weapons, you can't uninvent the smart phone so not sure if PF is in the right here.

The internet has changed the way people can access music forever and maybe Frampton is being a but 'old school' over this

Maybe he should embrace the new era by offering a better quality video of the gig as a download for a tenner.

Say £1000 to hire a production company to make and edit the video so he'd need to sell 200 to cover costs.
DI the sound from the desk so the quality is reasonable. There would be graduate film makers falling over themselves to make such a vid for someone famous for peanuts

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1407586450' post='2522041']
Yes, and maybe you will leave your camera at home the next time you are on holiday and buy postcards instead.
[/quote]
So if you bought a ticket to see [insert band you like] and part of the deal was a high quality video of the gig you would still want to take blurry video with badly distorted sound using your phone rather than enjoy the show?

For the record, I entirely agree with the previous points about smartphone videos being crappy quality so why on earth bother, but surely that's a decision for the person concerned to decide? Up to them if it doesn't,t affect anyone else. Similarly, if they want to view a concert through a crappy screen then that's their choice - doesn't force anyone else to do the same does it?

I also agree about it being unacceptable to block out other people's view. Simple good manners really, but then so is not singing along badly and drunkenly, standing up ( if a seated venue) or hoiking someone onto shoulders. Again, discrete use of smartphones shouldn't affect anyone else.

Frampton is of the era where recordings of concerts were pretty much impossible and artists and record companies had total control over things (and made punters pay through the nose for the privilege of seeing them, still do really). Well those days are long gone and while it might be feasible to check bags for DSLRs or camcorders it's simply not feasible, or frankly acceptable, to ban smartphones. So artists might not like it but they'd better get used to it because it ain't going to change. Indeed, technologies such as Google Glass are only going to make such recordings even easier.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1407590091' post='2522086']
So if you bought a ticket to see [insert band you like] and part of the deal was a high quality video of the gig you would still want to take blurry video with badly distorted sound using your phone rather than enjoy the show?
[/quote]
I think the choice should be mine really, not the guy I'm 'paying' to watch, as to which I chose to have memories of.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1407591262' post='2522094']
I think the choice should be mine really, not the guy I'm 'paying' to watch, as to which I chose to have memories of.
[/quote]Yeah, and the choice should be mine as to what Ts&Cs I adhere to (if any) when I apply for a credit card, mortgage, energy supplier, loan for a car, book loan from the library etc. They knew the score before they went through the gates! The "choice is, buy a ticket & adhere to Ts&Cs, or, don't buy a ticket.

Just to add:

I've had friends attend shows I wasn't able to afford or get time off for (as we all have at some point). Said friends have phoned me mid gig to let me hear what I was missing. I'd always hang up after 5 seconds of horribly distorted incomprehensible noise.

Edited by chrismuzz

Crazy thing is, if Peter Frampton was filming the gig he'd have to let everyone know so that in attending the gig the audience were giving their permission to be filmed. And yet with these smart phone films no-one is giving this permission, even the artist!

It should be evident to the meagrest intelligence that the practice spoils the experience for other gig-goers; disbenefits the artist; and delivers an entirely sub-standard 'record' of the event. And even if artists charged for quality vids of individual gigs there'd still be a crowd of numpties at the front with cameras 'exercising their right not to be ripped off'.

That's because the whole process is driven by self-entitlement and - in some cases - an immature desire to insert oneself into the event: 'Lookie, I take ths at peteR fRamton gig i pots it heer 4 evryone who not there no need to thnak me haha'.

Frankly, I'd have bent the punter over and shoved the phone roughly up his chocolate starfish but I suppose that would be a criminal offence rather than a civil matter and we can't have that, oh no. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1407614961' post='2522393']
Frankly, I'd have bent the punter over and shoved the phone roughly up his chocolate starfish but I suppose that would be a criminal offence rather than a civil matter and we can't have that, oh no. :)[/quote]

Fortunately, shooting the messenger is neither of those. :D

I do however wonder if the responses in this topic might have been a little different if that young Mr Bieber had done this.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407616021' post='2522405']

I do however wonder if the responses in this topic might have been a little different if that young Mr Bieber had done this.
[/quote]Mr Frampton doesn't have a whole lot of previous of being an utter arse, unlike the precocious, previously mentioned teen heart throb, so I think he can be cut some additional slack, in fact quite a lot of it.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407616021' post='2522405']
Fortunately, shooting the messenger is neither of those. :D
[/quote]

Consider yourself un-shot at :P. The only way this story could be improved would be if the annoying phone punter had [i]been[/i] Justin Bieber and Frampton's manager had been Peter Grant, a man who very much had a thing about amateur recordists.

On one occasion a man was seen wandering round a Zep gig with a microphone. The miscreant was duly hustled backstage to Grant in whose presence he (allegedly) suffered certain severe depredations upon his person. It subsequently emerged that he was a local H&S inspector who'd been measuring sound pressure levels.

Anyway, here's the bearded behemoth giving a promoter the once over for allowing a merch bootlegger into the auditorium.

[b]NSFW very bad language[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3T8WcIdaA[/media]

Edited by skankdelvar

While I completely agree with most of the stuff that has been said, and people watching gigs through their phone screen winds me up as much as the next Basschatter, I feel like Pete has handled this badly. While this couple were obviously being incredibly rude, I don't feel like criminal damage is really an appropriate response. Admittedly, I would have been tempted to do the same thing, but that doesn't make it right. He should just have had them removed by the security staff and avoided making himself look like a douche.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407615423' post='2522400']Surely it's a case of compulsory handing-in of phones at the door? A checkout system as with coats, and you get a ticket - pick it up as you leave.[/quote]

The insurance costs would be astronomical when you consider the retail value of the average smartphone.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1407617812' post='2522431']
Consider yourself un-shot at :P.
[/quote]

I habitually wear kevlar anyway. ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1407617812' post='2522431']
The only way this story could be improved would be if the annoying phone punter had [i]been[/i] Justin Bieber and Frampton's manager had been Peter Grant, a man who very much had a thing about amateur recordists.
[/quote]

Oh I don't know.
Adding a barrel of rum, One Direction and a sink plunger has possibilities... :rolleyes:

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1407618269' post='2522439']
He should just have had them removed by the security staff and avoided making himself look like a douche.
[/quote]

:) Let's identify the douche in this sequence of events:

[quote]
The male from the front row was even stupid enough to back up to the stage [during the performance] and get the girl to take a 'selfie' of him with Peter.
[/quote]

[quote]the guy in the front row unrelenting – apparently with no self control considering he’s already flipped Peter off and turned around and called the rest of the audience a bunch of deadbeats[/quote]

[quote]Peter ends the song, walks over, and with a huge smile on his face bends down and says, ‘Hey can I see that? Can I see the photos you’ve been taking?’ The guy hands him his phone and Peter stands up, spins, and flings for the rafters![/quote]

Frampton 1 - 0 Douche :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407615423' post='2522400']
Surely it's a case of compulsory handing-in of phones at the door? A checkout system as with coats, and you get a ticket - pick it up as you leave.
[/quote]

While that is actually the only way this sort of thing can be prevented, the practicalities will ensure it never happens given that 99% of the audience will have a mobile phone.