Why become a member? ×

Peter Frampton throws phone

timmo

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/peter-frampton-pitches-annoying-fans-cell-phone-to-rafters/48303
Having never played in front of a live audience, do you people think he is right? Is it a particular bugbear of live bands. I can understand comedians getting frustrated as their tour could be ruined after the first show. I guess it helped that the couple were being idiots, and it served them right.
I will admit to taking a 2 minute video of a band, only because a friend wanted to go but couldn`t make it, just so is could show him what he missed. I really can`t understand why someone would want to watch the whole show through a little lens though, as it wasn`t enjoyable.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407576562' post='2521877']
Hahaha! Brilliant! :D

To be fair there was a very strict policy and even PF himself asked the guy to stop but to no avail. Not surprised he launched his phone!
[/quote]That is what i thought to be fair. Even though it was strict, i doubt he wouldv`e been really uptight if it was just the one photo, and that was it.

Fair play to Peter, again, the odd quick photo here and there.....no problem. Anything else really riles me when I'm watching a show, let alone if you're a large artist who has specified the rules and then have someone consistently flout them!

Si

I can see both sides of this issue. Frampton clearly doesn't like it and I suppose he has every right to impose whatever conditions he wants at his concerts. On the other hand, the fans are paying good money to support his lifestyle so why shouldn't they be able to take photos or video as a poor quality memento of what is a special event for them? These 'stars' are not doing anything inherently important and they are only in their positions because of their fans.

Phones seem to arouse strong emotions in people. I was once on a train and someone opposite was talking to someone on their mobile phone in a perfectly normal voice. The guy next to me started tutting loudly, rolling his eyes, staring at the person on the phone, looking at other passengers to register his disgust etc. in fact, he was making more of an exhibition of himself than the person on the phone! I found his reaction very odd indeed. If two people in the same carriage had been talking to each other I doubt there would have been the same reaction.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407577891' post='2521902']
I can see both sides of this issue. Frampton clearly doesn't like it and I suppose he has every right to impose whatever conditions he wants at his concerts. On the other hand, the fans are paying good money to support his lifestyle so why shouldn't they be able to take photos or video as a poor quality memento of what is a special event for them? These 'stars' are not doing anything inherently important and they are only in their positions because of their fans.

Phones seem to arouse strong emotions in people. I was once on a train and someone opposite was talking to someone on their mobile phone in a perfectly normal voice. The guy next to me started tutting loudly, rolling his eyes, staring at the person on the phone, looking at other passengers to register his disgust etc. in fact, he was making more of an exhibition of himself than the person on the phone! I found his reaction very odd indeed. If two people in the same carriage had been talking to each other I doubt there would have been the same reaction.
[/quote]Is that like saying that it is perfectly acceptable to take your phone into your local cinema, and record the whole film, then put it on the net? After all, Tom Cruise is only where he is today because of his fans. I think if the venue has stipulated no photography, then i can`t see how you can moan when your phone gets lobbed.
I guess it can go the other way for new bands though. A good video on youtube could do wonders.

Whilst not condoning the trashing of phones, can't help but agree that the presence of them at gigs can be really
annoying for both audience and band. Couple of experiences I've had for example -
At a recent Eric Clapton gig in Leeds, we managed to get good / expensive seats fairly near the front with
uninterrupted view of the band and EC. The guy next to me spent the whole gig with his smartphone held up videoing the large screen to the right of the stage, concentrating on getting the best shots etc, whilst there's an excellent gig
going on just to the left in front of him!
Went to see the excellent Vintage Trouble at a smallish club gig, standing only. Bunch of students in front of us held
their phones up to record it through most of the gig, obscuring the already limited view we had. When asked politely
to stop, they just ignored us. Only a bit of a more shall we say persuasive chat with them made them move.
What I don't get is that for the most part there are often great quality professionally recorded clips available of
stuff (either on sale or free on the web) that you can watch whenever, and just enjoy the moment of the live gig.
Rant over!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1407579016' post='2521921']

What I don't get is that for the most part there are often great quality professionally recorded clips available of
stuff (either on sale or free on the web) that you can watch whenever, and just enjoy the moment of the live gig.

[/quote]

This is what always amazes me as well. There is so much freely available, good quality, video content out there that I can't understand why someone would want to ignore the actual gig in front of them just to get a crappy video that they'll probably watch once, stick on YT, and then ignore.

I once saw Vic Wooten stop someone recording him with a phone by saying more or less exactly this. He told the person that they could get many of his clinic performances online already and that simply recording another just to try and score some points for having he most up to date version on YT was a pointless exercise - not least because he had another clinic coming up so the guy's vid would be out of date in days.

Of course, being Vic, he did this in a nice friendly and non-confrontational way. Those of us whose view was being obscured by the arse holding his camera up with two hands gave a big cheer when he put it back in his pocket and slunk out of the room :)

Not sure about this one. I'm with FF in that they are only there because people buy their music etc. With that in mind I don't see why people attanding can't take some footage. On the other hand I can see why someone in the crowd standing behind someone holding up a massive iPad for example could get annoyed.
But what's next...not taking a camera to football game etc?

Taking pictures or short videos is cool in my books, but if you're there for the majority of the show hindering everyone else's enjoyment of the show it's selfish and quite pointless really. You may as well save everyone else the hassle and watch videos on YouTube to begin with!

I find it annoying, distracting, selfish and disrespectful to the artist tbh. And 99% of what is recorded is poor quality, so what really is the point?

If the crowd had already been asked not to record the gig, and these idiots had already been asked to stop [i]several[/i] times by the sounds of it, then PF is quite within his rights to do something, isn't he?

Yes, he might only 'be where he is', because of his fans, but it's still HIS show. I'd have had them out of the building, if only to make an example of them.

It's funny it's ok to video a concert but by my reckoning most would frown upon videoing a theatre performance of a musical or play. Despite the obvious copyright issues etc. PF is fine in my book to have a say in the quality of product he produces that the public has access to. People who video gigs just to put on YouTube fit in the same bracket as those who by m sport badges to put on any old BMW......

thinking a little more about this. I don't think anyone has the right to throw someones property about least of all if the owner paid to come and see the band/person etc. Tin hat is getting dusted off as we speak.
If no one had bought PF albums all those years ago, he might be playing in the 'Fox and Hound' tonight and pleased that someone turned up with or without a camera.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407583419' post='2521993']
Fair point gadgie, I'm sure that guy won't be giving Peter Frampton another penny of his money. Luckily he's in the position not to give a toss :lol:
[/quote]If it is a bass chatter, i hope it will be posted in the tenuous link to fame topic.

Don't blame him at all.

I've been to gigs where there's dozens of people 'watching' the performance through phones or even iPads.

Go to a classical concert or ballet phones are banned full stop, I think they should be at contemporary gigs too.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1407585478' post='2522029']
Surely a smart band would get high quality cameras and sound from the FOH desk and either offer a HQ digital download as a freebie for ticket buyers or even sell them a shiny personalised DVD of that nights performance the same way that Peter Gabriel does.
[/quote]

Yes, and maybe you will leave your camera at home the next time you are on holiday and buy postcards instead.