Why become a member? ×

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

How short are we allowed to go here?
I've recently acquired an amazing ACG Micro Bass, a 6 string based on the Reiver ChubstRR guitar.

image.png.f103b36daeec079bf388c65f29f5718a.png

It's 26.5" scale, currently tuned E to F, but I'm going to try out B to C as down tuning has actually worked quote well, and that's with a 115 string...

It's got a Flamed Maple top, and Quilted Maple back, hand coloured by Mrs ACG, on a White Limba body 
Bolt-on 5 piece Ash/Bubinga neck with a AI Maple fingerboard.
Two FB humbucking pickups with an East Uni-pre preamp and Chrome Hipshot hardware.

The look of it is something else, I given how different this instrument was going to be, I thought why not go a bit crazy and I absolutely love it!

Cheers,

Eude

• Like 4

And another one (I blame lock-down fever myself 😉).  Just picked up this Cazpar from Mensinger (Adrian Maruszczyk's other brand) in a trade on here.  30" scale and a beautiful example of top craftsmanship from their Polish workshops.

http://Cazpar-fretless-01.jpgCazpar-fretless-02.jpgCazpar-fretless-03.jpgCazpar-fretless-04.jpg

Ha, just found this video showing my bass.

https://www.public-peace.de/mensinger-guitars/m-basses/men-cazpar

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

And another one (I blame lock-down fever myself 😉).  Just picked up this Cazpar from Mensinger (Adrian Maruszczyk's other brand) in a trade on here.  30" scale and a beautiful example of top craftsmanship from their Polish workshops.

http://Cazpar-fretless-01.jpgCazpar-fretless-02.jpgCazpar-fretless-03.jpgCazpar-fretless-04.jpg

Ha, just found this video showing my bass.

https://www.public-peace.de/mensinger-guitars/m-basses/men-cazpar

Scrumptious, @scrumpymike :)

On 04/05/2020 at 11:42, eude said:

How short are we allowed to go here?
I've recently acquired an amazing ACG Micro Bass, a 6 string based on the Reiver ChubstRR guitar.

image.png.f103b36daeec079bf388c65f29f5718a.png

It's 26.5" scale, currently tuned E to F, but I'm going to try out B to C as down tuning has actually worked quote well, and that's with a 115 string...

It's got a Flamed Maple top, and Quilted Maple back, hand coloured by Mrs ACG, on a White Limba body 
Bolt-on 5 piece Ash/Bubinga neck with a AI Maple fingerboard.
Two FB humbucking pickups with an East Uni-pre preamp and Chrome Hipshot hardware.

The look of it is something else, I given how different this instrument was going to be, I thought why not go a bit crazy and I absolutely love it!

Cheers,

Eude

Blooming marvelous that. Out of interest, what strings (brand set/gauges etc.) are you using for the E-F tuning option?

1 hour ago, cLepto-bass said:

Blooming marvelous that. Out of interest, what strings (brand set/gauges etc.) are you using for the E-F tuning option?

Thanks dude!

The strings are custom wound by Newtone. They're currently in the following gauges.

115/95/75/55/40/22

I tend to prefer a lighter string these days, not silly light, but a 100 E usually. These feel a tiny bit heavy but it's a compromise for to get decent tension. I believe the cores are thicker than usual.

I am going to try B to C as I mentioned, I think I'll push the B to a 135 then round the rest down by 005.

I'd recommend Newtones to anyone, whether you have weird requirements like myself (most of my other basses are all 31.5" scale, 3 of which are 6 strings tunes B to C), you just want nice strings. To me, they're regular nickels are half way between DR Sunbeams and Lo Riders, which is a very good place to be indeed in my opinion.

Also, I've been trying to get some decent recording done with this bass, but being locked down with 2 young kids and a full time job that has done nothing but escalate is proving quite a series of obstacles!

Cheers,

Eude

On 04/05/2020 at 12:57, Jabba_the_gut said:

bgM42L9.jpg 

23” and 27” scale. The headed one is my new favourite toy!! So much so, I’m making another.

Love the headstock on, well on the one, the one with the headstock 🤔

In fact all three are works of art. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 04:12, Maude said:

Hofner Ignition Club, Danelectro Longhorn, Kay KJP-1B and Ibanez Talman TMB30. 

20200507_210507.thumb.jpg.d9aff5448775714aa5c0604670c4dfea.jpg

20200507_210431.thumb.jpg.adcba6f49cae431b22608869be840904.jpg

Yes I know there's no knobs on the Talman or strings on the Longhorn. 🙂

sorry for this dumb question, but how do you remove the knob on talman?  is it just by pulling it?

did you intentionally remove the knobs? while the tmb30 is really a nice bass, i find the position of the 2 volume knobs irritating ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, james_027 said:

sorry for this dumb question, but how do you remove the knob on talman?  is it just by pulling it?

did you intentionally remove the knobs? while the tmb30 is really a nice bass, i find the position of the 2 volume knobs irritating ...

Yes they just pull off, I usually use a metal dessert spoon as a lever. Find a sturdy spot on the scratchplate, ie where it's not hollow underneath, and use that spot to slide the bowl end of the spoon under the knob, then gently lever the knob upwards a little bit at a time while rotating the control between each little lever to ensure it lifts evenly. The Talman ones were tight. 

They were off as I had put chrome ones on because I prefer the look but the chrome type are taller than the originals so, like yourself, I found them in the way a bit. I just hadn't got the originals back on yet. 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 11:29, Trueno said:

An update.

Fender MIM PJ Mustang. Converted to VVT arrangment with stacked volume knobs, courtesy of a KiOgon Loom. Gotoh bridge. Fingerboard rolled and fret ends smoothed and polished up. Plays like a dream, sounds just like I want it.

Squier Jaguar SS. All original, except for some Jazz knobs. My backup.

fullsizeoutput_366.jpeg

Did you manage to get an off the shelf scratchplate for the Mustang or did you have to have one made up?

1 hour ago, King Tut said:

Did you manage to get an off the shelf scratchplate for the Mustang or did you have to have one made up?

Hiya,

Got one made up by Jack's Instruments in Manchester. They're a touch more expensive than some, but well worth it imo. Recently got another from a different place... nice shade of antique white... half the price... and I won't even besmirch my bin ny throwing it away... you live and learn.

19 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes they just pull off, I usually use a metal dessert spoon as a lever. Find a sturdy spot on the scratchplate, ie where it's not hollow underneath, and use that spot to slide the bowl end of the spoon under the knob, then gently lever the knob upwards a little bit at a time while rotating the control between each little lever to ensure it lifts evenly. The Talman ones were tight. 

They were off as I had put chrome ones on because I prefer the look but the chrome type are taller than the originals so, like yourself, I found them in the way a bit. I just hadn't got the originals back on yet. 

Thank you sir. Any plan on how you'll deal with the volume knob? How about changing its position by make a new pickguard with a new slightly adjusted hole location?

23 hours ago, King Tut said:

21 hours ago, Trueno said:

Hiya,

Got one made up by Jack's Instruments in Manchester. They're a touch more expensive than some, but well worth it imo. Recently got another from a different place... nice shade of antique white... half the price... and I won't even besmirch my bin ny throwing it away... you live and learn.

I got mine from here ... https://www.pickguardplanet.com/pickguards-for-fender-musicmaster-duo-sonic-bronco-guitars-click-for-price-in-any-color/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, james_027 said:

Thank you sir. Any plan on how you'll deal with the volume knob? How about changing its position by make a new pickguard with a new slightly adjusted hole location?

I've just put the original knobs back on as they're shallower, it doesn't bother me to the degree I'll make a new scratchplate and possibly have to re-route the cavity. 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 07:28, prowla said:

More for the next Bass Bash?

(Assuming there is one...)

This year's Big Fat South-West Bass Bash is provisionally re-scheduled for Sunday 11th October, circumstances permitting.  However, we will all have to self-isolate for 14 days before and after that date (😉just kidding... maybe).

• Like 2

My lowly and by now quite battered Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, with it's just 28,6" scale length,  that got a a mahogany body and maple neck with rosewood fretboard, and a P/J set of EMG Geezer Butler pickups installed currently, though the Geezer P pickup is very soon to get replaced for a DiMarzio Model P one.

I also own a GSRM25 5 string Mikro Bass that I have strung up with the 5 lowest strings of a Fender Bass VI string set (gauge .090 to .030), and tuned F# to D, with it's 2 stock J pickups wired in series, but the 4 string is my main, even if I do own a supposedly higher end full 34" scale 4 string bass as well.

But without further ado, here's a picture of my beloved 4 string Mikro:

New-bass-pic-020619-666-small-copy.jpg

Edit!!!: I guess I might as well post a picture of my 5 string Ibanez Mikro Bass as well, now that I did mention it:

Bass-5-120919-small-Edit-666999-Lostus-b

You can read more about it in this post, where I also explain what I mainly plan to use it for, and why it is tuned as it is:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2