Why become a member? ×

The Worst Bass Lines to Play EVER!

Weststarx

Us and Them - Pink Floyd

It's a long song too! But as it comes after Money on Dark Side of the Moon (and we are currently looking at the whole of Dark side as our second set) it's nice to have a break, as Money is pretty intense on the old hand (mostly due to the walking bass in the middle which has your hand stretched across 4 frets for what seems like hours)

I've been asked to play a few tunes with the band at a relative's upcoming birthday party, and the list includes Sweet Child O' Mine and On The Road Again.

Sadly, it's the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child and the Katie Melua version of On The Road Again

Sex on Fire.

Not just because I find it dull; most guitarists do as well. If half the band finds it tedious to play (and I suspect the others did as well) then it's probably time to drop it from the set!

But then, is the problem similar to Mustang Sally or Brown-Eyed Girl? I.e., it's not just because it's dull to play, it's also because there's demand for it at nearly every party or function.

You are a weird lot :), you're on stage, playing music that people like or you wouldn't be playing them, and yet you're moaning.

I hate pretty much 99% of what I have to play at an average function gig, it bares little resemblance to what I listen to at home or on the train, but I get off on the fact that I'm doing something I love, and the audience are enjoying themselves.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406976935' post='2516375']
You are a weird lot :), you're on stage, playing music that people like or you wouldn't be playing them, and yet you're moaning.

I hate pretty much 99% of what I have to play at an average function gig, it bares little resemblance to what I listen to at home or on the train, but I get off on the fact that I'm doing something I love, and the audience are enjoying themselves.

[/quote]

I'm completely with you 99% of the time, however one or two songs are remarkably tedious and Keep Rocking In The Free World is one of them :lol:

Cameltoe how dare you suggest 'Sanctuary' is boring, only 4 notes but you need to play em like your life depended on them! Only kidding ;) My personal bore fest is Prince 'Kiss' I really dont know what to do with that tune other than make thump noises, if somebody would be as kind as to enlighten me I would greatly appreciative.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1406986759' post='2516455']
This is one reason why I've stopped playing covers and now only play songs that I've had a hand in writing. All the songs and their baselines are now completely awesome IMO.
[/quote]
I was playing in an originals band a few years ago and as much as I loved playing my own lines or my version of what the artist had written in some cases I have found there is a point where I want to play to more than the usual pub full of mates, small local following and a few uninterested punters unless its a genre specific event even then the crowd numbers were often much lower than a packed wedding gig, looking at your youtube content etc I would say the band I was in was of a similar size popularity wise and I did enjoy recording and playing some good events but they were too few for me, on the other hand playing the same set for ten years to uninterested wedding guests is hard too, I have done both on and off since I was 17,Lol. I am aiming for somewhere in the middle in the future 1 or 2 gigs a month with a varied set list :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406976935' post='2516375']

[/quote]
For me it's just discussing a song I dislike playing, be that live or in rehearsals, I'll play it cause someone's paying me to and I enjoy playing live! There are MANY more songs we have in our set that I enjoy playing more than Play that Funky Music :)