Why become a member? ×

Customer Service From Warwick

Thunderbird

Well I am a little shocked I thought Warwick had good customer service but I don't think I had good service from them :(

To cut a long story short I purchased a set of there red label strings as I had tried them in the past and thought they were not to bad and I thought they would work a treat on the bass I was going to put them on....Anyway I took them out of the packaging and chucked the packaging away (big mistake it was bin day) next job I measured up the strings installed them on the bass tuned it up plugged into my amp well the strings were crap they were deader than a dead especially the E string anyway IMO they were totally unusable as the were all dead and sounded dull and just awful. so I sat down and wrote an email to Warwick explaining my problem and that I was unable to return the strings as A) I bought them from Thomman and was not worth posting them back , B) Like a fool I had thrown the packaging away so could not return them anyway, So the next day Warwick reply to me and the reply basically goes "Our strings very seldom have problems return them to where you got them it is up to the retailer to sort it out" so obviously I was a little annoyed as it kind of felt like they did not care about my problem and had not really read my email correctly in the first place so I wont be buying anything else from Warwick. I have only ever had one bad string in the past and that was a Rotosound and when I contacted them about it they went through hoops to sort it out for me :) Anyway as I said Warwick will not be getting any more custom from me in the future they can poke it.

Anyway rant over lol

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405018649' post='2498029']
Did you speak to thomann?
[/quote] No but it is in there small print that the item must be returned in its packaging its not really so much about the strings I am annoyed I just found the answer I got indicated they did not care that is what has annoyed me

This comes as no surprise.

When I was arranging the Herts Bass I contacted lots of companies for donations for our raffle. EB UK, Stuart Clayton and D'Addario all generously donated items and were welcoming and friendly.

I contacted Warwick through their Forum and Florin contacted the CEO on our behalf - the outcome was they were [i]not in a position to help out[/i] with the event and declined to make any donations - a company that charges over £2,000 for basses can't even afford to give a grass roots event with their target audience a few sets of strings which cost them what?? £10?? I was disgusted TBH.

My new policy is not to buy any Warwick products - they probably don't care cos that's pretty much their philosophy...

Anybody want to buy a German Corvette??

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1405019206' post='2498041']
No but it is in there small print that the item must be [b]returned in its packaging [/b]its not really so much about the strings I am annoyed I just found the answer I got indicated they did not care that is what has annoyed me
[/quote]
I am 99.9% certain that makes no odds and 100% certain it does not in the UK if the item is faulty, if you take something back because its not what you want then that is correct as the shop can sell it on if you dont ruin the box, if its faulty then the packaging makes no odds and you are proving that you are not trying to get a free set by offering to return them, they may or may not want them or argue over who pays shipping.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1405023329' post='2498091']

When I was arranging the Herts Bass I contacted lots of companies for donations for our raffle. EB UK, Stuart Clayton and D'Addario all generously donated items and were welcoming and friendly.

I contacted Warwick through their Forum and Florin contacted the CEO on our behalf - the outcome was they were [i]not in a position to help out[/i] with the event and declined to make any donations - a company that charges over £2,000 for basses can't even afford to give a grass roots event with their target audience a few sets of strings which cost them what?? £10?? I was disgusted TBH.

My new policy is not to buy any Warwick products - they probably don't care cos that's pretty much their philosophy...

[/quote] Wow tight sods that is a pretty poor attitude

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405023712' post='2498097']
It is a shame when a brand annoys you but dont let it ruin a good bass, the EBMM forum is a joke and I have seen people sell basses because BigPoppa annoyed them but I like their basses not their CEO :)
[/quote] Well I would not go selling stuff to prove a point....I really am shocked at what the Greek said about them not helping out with anything at the bash a multi million pound company like he said a few packs of strings would not of hurt them and they would of got some good PR for helping I am not purchasing any more from Warwick now

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1405018235' post='2498023']
Like a fool I had thrown the packaging away so could not return them
[/quote]
If goods are 'unfit for purpose' the buyer has no obligation whatsoever to send the item or items back in the original packing. If an item is unfit for purpose then send it back and get a refund. End of.

If you buy a pint of milk from a shop and it's off, do you complain to the farmer or do you take it up with the shop?

For all we (or Warwick) know, the strings might have sat in the retailer's lock-up for 20 years, which is hardly Warwick's fault is it?

Your contract is with the seller, not the brand owner, and that should be the first step in the complaints procedure. Escalate if necessary, by all means, but it's only fair to give the seller the opportunity to fix things first.

[/quote] given they list how much they give to their local communities according to their website.... I don't think it's an awful philosophy - to not give so much PR type giving to things like Herts Bass Bash but give to the local communities where they are based.

[/quote]
Different companies have different policies. I've found in the past that some companies will go beyond the call of duty and supply items for charity auctions etc but some companies will not give a single thing however small as it is company policy. That's just the way it goes.

[/quote]

When I organised the Yorkshire Bass Bashes I asked a very well known British String Manufacturer if they could let me have some strings for our charity prize draw. I heard nothing back from them, not a "sound"......! So I don't think Warwick are the only company who don't give freebies and in their defence, at least they replied!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405024523' post='2498120'] Your contract is with the seller, not the brand owner, and that should be the first step in the complaints procedure. Escalate if necessary, by all means, but it's only fair to give the seller the opportunity to fix things first. [/quote]

Totally agree. Your contact is with the seller not the brand owner, distributor or manufacturer.

Warwick sound as if they have done everything right in this instance. They have suggested returning the strings to the retailer which is correct. I'm not sure what else they are meant to do.

Edited by BetaFunk

Your comeback is to the company you have the contract of purchase with. Warwick owe you nothing.
Thomann is the company you have to go back to. Packaging doesn't matter if the goods are faulty.

If, as you say it's not worth sending them back, then you have your answer. If it's not worth your trouble to prove they're faulty, then it's not worth their while to do anything.
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1405023329' post='2498091'] This comes as no surprise. When I was arranging the Herts Bass I contacted lots of companies for donations for our raffle. EB UK, Stuart Clayton and D'Addario all generously donated items and were welcoming and friendly. I contacted Warwick through their Forum and Florin contacted the CEO on our behalf - the outcome was they were [i]not in a position to help out[/i] with the event and declined to make any donations - a company that charges over £2,000 for basses can't even afford to give a grass roots event with their target audience a few sets of strings which cost them what?? £10?? I was disgusted TBH. My new policy is not to buy any Warwick products - they probably don't care cos that's pretty much their philosophy... Anybody want to buy a German Corvette?? [/quote]

You're being unfair on Warwick. Warwick don't make strings. They BUY and sell strings that have been branded for them.
D'Addario MAKE strings - so it's far cheaper for D'Addario to give you strings.

I don't change strings often (haven't been able to afford to really) but I've never had a bad string let alone a bad set. What is it that can affect a whole set and render them dead? Anyway, sorry that you've wasted your money and I can't blame you for avoiding them in future.

I had a dodgy Elixir E string last year from a set off ebay.
Contacted them via email and a new set of strings arrived a week later gratis. Very impressed with the whole experience.

However, i do think your first port of call is Thomann. They should refund the return postage cost if they agree its a warranty issue. You dont need the packaging.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1405029206' post='2498204']
Maybe Thunderbird should have contacted Thomann but he explained perfectly clearly why he didn't, still no need for such a snotty response from Warwick or some of the posters on here.
[/quote]

+1. Good customer service is all-important. It's not rocket surgery.

Unfortunately, the customer is not [i]always [/i]right. Fairness works both ways.

Anyway, there's still time to send a similar email to Thomann and see what they have to say about it - he's their customer after all.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405029497' post='2498210']
Unfortunately, the customer is not [i]always [/i]right. Fairness works both ways.

Anyway, there's still time to send a similar email to Thomann and see what they have to say about it - he's their customer after all.
[/quote]
+1

I only ever had to deal with Warwick once. I had a 6-string Corvette Proline, one of the first they made (serial 000014) and the truss rod broke.

I'd bought it used from a guy in the USA. I took it to a luthier here in the UK who decided we should contact Warwick about it. Warwick asked to see the bass so we shipped it to them, and three weeks later they shipped it back with a new neck, in a new gig bag, with a new pot of wax, a couple of packs of strings, a T-shirt, and an explanation that the laminates used in the early 6-strings had in some cases proven not to be stiff enough, so they'd replaced it for me. No charge.

Best customer service I've ever had from any company.