Why become a member? ×

Timewasters

Thunderbird

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1404807126' post='2495786']
I tend to just skip those items. If a seller can't be bothered to post some pictures and some basic info then I doubt they'll be bothered to post it to me quickly or to pack it safely either.
[/quote]

Yes. A 'For Sale' post with no pics or 'pics to come later' confuses and infuriates me - and I won't have anything to do with it. When I sell stuff on here it's always with a lot of detailed pics and a full description of the item, its location and how it will be packed and despatched. I'm generally a lazy git so my view is, if I can be bothered then other people should be too! Just listing a bass (for example) and a price with no pics or info is a turn-off for me.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1404807455' post='2495791']
I lost a great chunk of a precious Saturday hanging around, held the bass (which was worth close to £2k) for over a month for him, and got no apology.
[/quote]

What a pain in the arse! :blink:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1404802072' post='2495729']
I've only ever had positive experiences with both buying and selling on BC.

My only slight issue is people not leaving feedback... I solds three cabs in a week a little while back and left three lots of feedback... got nothing back from any of them.
[/quote] I agree the feedback thing can be a bit annoying but I think thats just how it is :(

I've bought and sold quite a lot on here, and every transaction with the exception of one has been great. Mentioning no names, but I was selling a bass at a very good price (as I was just about to buy something else), and had literally 5 "I'll take it" PMs within an hour. As ever, I worked down them in line, and got back to the first person telling him it was his (and sent a it's-sold-but-I'll-get-back-to-you-if-it-falls-through message to the others). So buyer tells me he doesn't want it delivering, he'll pick it up, but can't get round for a week (despite living 30 mins from me). I hold onto it, and sure enough he arrives the following week, plays the bass, loves it, but instead of handing over all the money, tells me that he's bought £100 deposit, and will get the rest of the money to me the next day. As I still have the bass, I'm ok with this, although the ongoing delay is a bit of a pain. Next day comes, and I hear nothing. I send a PM and get a reply the next day, saying he'll pop down with the money "tomorrow"... You can probably guess the rest - after several false promises, he says he can't complete on the purchase (we're talking a £500 bass here, by the way, not several thousands). Naturally I'm a bit non-plussed with this, but as I'm out for dinner with the family at the time, I send a reply back telling him I'll refund his £100 later that evening. Within an hour, I get a notification on my For Sale thread along the lines of "you owe me £100, and although I don't like airing dirty laundry in public, I will do if you don't pay it back now". Sigh.

So, not only did I lose 4 other buyers, not only did I hold onto a bass for a couple of weeks longer than necessary due to a time waster, he then had the audacity to try to make me out to be the bad guy on my sale thread. Knob. Incidentally, I subsequently chatted to someone else on here about time wasters, and the very same guy had done exactly the same thing to them. Luckily, the person in question stopped being active on here, otherwise I'd have had no problem in outing them.

Edited by tredders

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1404810975' post='2495840']
I've bought and sold quite a lot on here, and every transaction with the exception of one has been great. Mentioning no names, but I was selling a bass at a very good price (as I was just about to buy something else), and had literally 5 "I'll take it" PMs within an hour. As ever, I worked down them in line, and got back to the first person telling him it was his (and sent a it's-sold-but-I'll-get-back-to-you-if-it-falls-through message to the others). So buyer tells me he doesn't want it delivering, he'll pick it up, but can't get round for a week (despite living 30 mins from me). I hold onto it, and sure enough he arrives the following week, plays the bass, loves it, but instead of handing over all the money, tells me that he's bought £100 deposit, and will get the rest of the money to me the next day. As I still have the bass, I'm ok with this, although the ongoing delay is a bit of a pain. Next day comes, and I hear nothing. I send a PM and get a reply the next day, saying he'll pop down with the money "tomorrow"... You can probably guess the rest - after several false promises, he says he can't complete on the purchase (we're talking a £500 bass here, by the way, not several thousands). Naturally I'm a bit non-plussed with this, but as I'm out for dinner with the family at the time, I send a reply back telling him I'll refund his £100 later that evening. Within an hour, I get a notification on my For Sale thread along the lines of "you owe me £100, and although I don't like airing dirty laundry in public, I will do if you don't pay it back now". Sigh.

So, not only did I lose 4 other buyers, not only did I hold onto a bass for a couple of weeks longer than necessary due to a time waster, he then had the audacity to try to make me out to be the bad guy on my sale thread. Knob. Incidentally, I subsequently chatted to someone else on here about time wasters, and the very same guy had done exactly the same thing to them. Luckily, the person in question stopped being active on here, otherwise I'd have had no problem in outing them.
[/quote] My bad experience was a bit similar to cut a long story short I agreed a trade with a fellow BC member I then spent quite a bit of time sorting out photos and bits and bobs we both agreed the terms of the deal I was putting in a trade item plus cash so I packed the item and booked a courier, then the following day he sent me a PM saying I am not happy with this deal you need to pay £100 more and he was really s####y about it I said I thought we had a deal and if I pay £100 more I may as well buy a new one as it would be that price so He was not best pleased but I had the last laugh as his gear sat in the market place for ages, and after talking to some of my mates on BC it turned out he had done the same kind of thing to some of them:(

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1404810975' post='2495840']
I send a reply back telling him I'll refund his £100 later that evening. Within an hour, I get a notification on my For Sale thread along the lines of "you owe me £100, and although I don't like airing dirty laundry in public, I will do if you don't pay it back now". Sigh.

[/quote]

Isn't the whole point of a deposit the fact that it is non-refundable (unless the seller is exceptionally generous) so that it forms a gentleman's contract to buy? If I had given a deposit and then not been able to buy due to my circumstances - I would certainly regret handing over the deposit but I would not expect the seller to return it to me. If he did that would be a bonus but I would think he would be within his rights to keep it. Otherwise it sort of defeats the object of the deposit.

If the seller changed his mind and decided not to sell after the deposit was given then it should be returned to the buyer, but otherwise I would not expect it.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

[quote name='Harry' timestamp='1404804434' post='2495755']
I will say overall my selling/buying experience on here has been great and i use the site a lot in that way, i do get fed up of the really silly offers though, i mean if i have a bass up for £2200, why would i sell it to you for £1200 , if that is what i wanted i would have stuck it up for that in the first place :)
[/quote]
Just list it with a price and 'no offers'. Sorted.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1404811233' post='2495842']
Having worked in sales environments in my earlier youth (as opposed to my current latter youth :D) tyre kickers are part of the sales cycle, always have been and always will be.
[/quote]

I've made a living in the past from newspaper ads, and I do a fair bit on ebay now - not Bass related, so not on here - nutters definitely come and go in cycles. Theres a lot at the moment, probably no money about and people are paying for their hols or saving for when the kids are out of school later this month.

Its vey quiet all round just now. You just cant predict when things will pick up, but they always do.

I'd have thought that unless someone clearly states 'no offers' then polite offers are fair enough - you can always say no! Ultimately market forces will prevail and overpriced gear will not sell I suppose and things will find their own level.

[quote]
The Bass Gallery. Still showing my old SEI P/J as for sale on their website, right now. It was sold last week, after I had emailed them about it. Gutted. Mind they did eventually respond (phone message left) 4 days after my initial email :rolleyes: .
Reidy's of Blackburn. Still had the Bongo up for sale on FEEBay last night. They sold it to a cash customer last week[/quote]

You think that's bad?

I bought this bass from them last September and it's still on their website

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2545&type=Bass"]http://www.thebassga...=2545&type=Bass[/url]

There's also a L1550 on there that I think someone on here bought before I bought the SB2!

Edited by Graham

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404772714' post='2495650']
Always had a positive buying and selling experience on here. Maybe I've just been lucky? :)
[/quote]

Yeah same here, although had some entertaining international shipping questions of late...makes me think all couriers operate out the uk only :D

Nowt but good experiences here, both selling and buying. A few offers given that I wasn't interested in, but politely turned them down - no issue! A lot better than a large percentage of my experiences on Ebay...

Try and be positive about things. Every timewaster is a potential customer, just usually without enough money or any real intention whatsoever of buying whatever it is you are selling.

I don't get upset by people who mess me about when I am selling stuff and think they are interested and then change their mind . It is all part of the game, as anyone who has bought and sold stuff has usually found out. I expect it as a matter of routine . And why get upset about people making silly offers, when you can always just say no? I don't blame someone for trying their luck, even if they usually are a complete pillock . Who knows, maybe in the past they have met someone daft enough to accept their silly offers ? Just make sure that you tell them piss off , in the nicest possible way of course.

I know it is very easy to feel affronted by people making derisory offers, but you just have to go into any sale expecting to have to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to prospective buyers. It was probably exactly the same in ancient times when you took your goat to the market to sell it . Basses are really no different to goats, except they are less likely to stain your carpet.

Edited by Dingus

Maybe we should name and shame so we can be aware of the serial time wasters :) , well it wouldn't completely stop them but it may make them think twice first. ( This could be totally misused though and petty arguments break out all over the place hahahahah ) I always check the feedback section , you can see who is reliable but then that doesn't give the new guys much of a chance

Is the feedback section only for purchased or sold stuff? or can you put on there " so and so made me wait 10 days on a promise that he would buy this item, in that time not much contact from them and when they finally did reply they decided not to. Because of this i lost 3 sales as i had promised i would hold the item for them as they said they defiantly wanted it"
Ok, yes talking form experience :)

I will say overall my selling/buying experience on here has been great and i use the site a lot in that way, i do get fed up of the really silly offers though, i mean if i have a bass up for £2200, why would i sell it to you for £1200 , if that is what i wanted i would have stuck it up for that in the first place :)
[/quote]

Harry, the basses and amps that you are selling are usually ( always , in fact) the cream of the crop, the best that money can buy. It's unfortunate, but pretty inevitable that such pukka gear is going to flush out more than your fair share of chancers and wishful thinkers. I know that is no consolation when you have been messed about and lost potential sales as a result, though.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='LotusPWR' timestamp='1405017595' post='2498011']
My problem is the other way round. I contact sellers and they don't answer or they don't seem to be too fussed about selling...
[/quote]

I've experienced this too, but you will get people who'll post a for sale ad, then go on holiday for three weeks...

Edited by discreet

[/quote]
It's the trade offers that make me smile. You've got an item that was £2000 new, they generally go for £1250 secondhand and your one is priced at £1100. Why do people get upset when I don't agree that swapping it for their bass that they value at £1100 but cost £1300 new isn't normally a good deal for me!

I can deal with, and kind of expect, the tamewasters on here, I think part of it is the GAS people get when they suddenly spot that Bass/ Amp/Effect or anything else they have been hankering for for ages.

What really pi*$ed me off a few weeks ago though was the guy who strung me along for a couple of weeks, telling me how trustworthy he was, what great ebay feedback he had. The after taking my address, contact number, bank account and sort code details for an international transfer. Then seemed to disappear back into the shadows.
Not sure if i was scammed or he was just a complete waste of space.
No goods/ money etc changed hands, just all of my personal details.
He was also a long time member on Basschat, so not some fool who only joined yesterday.

You live and learn.

cheers

thebassman

It isn't just buying and selling.....its life!

Charlie Watts was being interviewed on The Stones' 20th Anniversary as a band, and the interview asked him: "Charlie what's it been like playing drums in the Rolling Stones for the last 20 years?"
Charlie replies: "Well its been like playing drums for a year and hanging around waiting for people for 19 years."

Regards and plenty of patience, Paul.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1404766831' post='2495598']
... there are a fair number of ignorant twats about and that as membership numbers increase, then so do the chances of encountering more of said twats.

On a plus note, there are still plenty of BC'ers who are a pleasure to deal with, the feedback forum being all the proof you need. Go have a look and have your faith re affirmed :)
[/quote]

That's the long and the short of it, although in my experience having switched from largely desktop to mobile use over the last few months, this site has a few tech issues that don't always make replying to PMs - or even knowing that you're received them - as simple as could be the case when you're using mobile formats. I also still occasionally reply to the email telling me that I've received a PM rather than to the PM itself, and it's not like I'm new to buying and selling here :rolleyes:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1404802072' post='2495729'] I've only ever had positive experiences with both buying and selling on BC. My only slight issue is people not leaving feedback... I solds three cabs in a week a little while back and left three lots of feedback... got nothing back from any of them. [/quote]

If you haven't already done so, send them a gentle reminder via pm with a link to your feedback page.