Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Am Std Precision

omikin

So this thread has been nearly two months coming. I have been a P-bass fan for about 4 years having never really liked Fender stuff until I actually played one, and it just worked for me. Since then I have been through a number of P's (one MIM std, one Nate Mendel sig, one 1997 Am Std ["road worn" by previous owner], and now this one) in parallel with several other models which have come and gone.

One of my most recent disposals (a Rick 4001 via ebay) was immediately followed by a visit to PMT where I tried a number of basses (Gibsone and Epi thunderbirds, Gibson SG) and finally I spotted this Am Std p-bass.

I had initially ignored the Am Std P-basses as I wasn't really aware of what had changed since the 1997 version kicking around at home. It was immediately apparent that a lot had changed, however. Apart from having the best setup off the shelf of any of the basses I played, this one also just felt right straight off the bat. I don't know if it's the rolled fingerboard or the custom shop pups or what, but there is something special about this bass. Anyway, I put it back on the wall and walked out, as I'd just [i]sold[/i] a bass, right? I sure as hell wasn't about to [i]buy[/i] one, especially not one costing more than a grand.

But it knawed away at me and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I even posted a thread on here about the best place to buy one as I have never been over-impressed with PMT, but a lot of the advice was along the lines of "if you've found one that feels just right then go for it as the quality can vary". So I did.

I had assumed that they came in one of those moulded plastic cases, but actually it's a really nice black tolex case with more of a vintage look to it. Would probably not be as hardwearing as one of the plastic ones, but I think for now it will be the other bass I'll be taking to gigs...

Anyway - I have never played a bass as often or for so long as I have this one. It just feels so perfect. I have always loved rosewood fretboards but this one is maple and I couldn't be happier. The tort pickguard is great too - a step above any aftermarket tort I have bought. And I have never been at all bothered by bridges one way or another, but that hi-mass bridge is beautiful. Wonderful to look at and rest the heel of your hand on, and great sustain.

The tone? Really full and warm. I can't quite explain how it differs from my 97 P but it does. I'm not sure if it's an "authentic" vintage tone but strung with flats it absolutely gives me the sound in my head.

So now let me give you some pics so you can see for yourself:

I have been nervous about stringing these flats through the body. They're La Bella 760FS (45-105) but I have had flats (different ones) start to crack when they've been strung through. Anyone strung these flats through this bass? I suppose I could put the E through the bridge and the rest through the body.

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1404312293' post='2491476']
I have been nervous about stringing these flats through the body. They're La Bella 760FS (45-105) but I have had flats (different ones) start to crack when they've been strung through. Anyone strung these flats through this bass? I suppose I could put the E through the bridge and the rest through the body.
[/quote]

I have those exact strings on my USA p and it's strung through body, no issues thus far and it's racked up a good few practise hours and a gig so far... :)

sweet bass by the way matey :)

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1404312293' post='2491476']
[/quote]

La Bella make special flats specifically for through-body stringing ;)

Ok if we are all sharing! this was mine brand new, all I had done was swap the plate, still has the tape on the pups!

[url="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/throwoff/media/20130809_103420_zps46d86cbc.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by throwoff

I have had EB Group III Flats on my 2009 P AS P Bass and they still have some bit, and feel lovely.

The latest 2008 and 2012 onwards P and J basses are really really good. The best they've made in a long time. Zero mods required. Just get a good one and you are set.

My P and J are in the 2008 versions of the cases, big SKB cases, the best cases I've ever owned if I'm being honest.

Apparently Fender stopped dealing with SKB - possibly a fall out. They then started providing the ABS plastic cases which are great, but these are now for the American Deluxes models only. They now offer the more classic black Pro cases...which is still a good case!

I'm about to get a 2013/14 Strat and Tele because I've resisted for years and now I've sold an old Tele, its time to strike.

I agree with the sentiments from the posts above, the 2008 onwards Precisions are great. I`ve had 5, and all were incredibly good. If I could have afforded to keep them, the last 3 I had would still be with me.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1404333959' post='2491748']
Beautiful P bass... as much as I love the old BBOT these new style bridges look superb!
[/quote]

The new bridge was what sold me on the bass to be completely honest.

It is so well made.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1404312862' post='2491493']
Happiness is a wam P :)

I just picked up a lovely American Special. Super light, really lovely neck, pure P bass [b]TONE[/b]

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but want to share the P love.... :heart:

[b][/b]
[/quote]

That is an exceptional looking instrument.

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1404311351' post='2491457']
So this thread has been nearly two months coming. I have been a P-bass fan for about 4 years having never really liked Fender stuff until I actually played one, and it just worked for me. Since then I have been through a number of P's (one MIM std, one Nate Mendel sig, one 1997 Am Std ["road worn" by previous owner], and now this one) in parallel with several other models which have come and gone.

One of my most recent disposals (a Rick 4001 via ebay) was immediately followed by a visit to PMT where I tried a number of basses (Gibsone and Epi thunderbirds, Gibson SG) and finally I spotted this Am Std p-bass.

I had initially ignored the Am Std P-basses as I wasn't really aware of what had changed since the 1997 version kicking around at home. It was immediately apparent that a lot had changed, however. Apart from having the best setup off the shelf of any of the basses I played, this one also just felt right straight off the bat. I don't know if it's the rolled fingerboard or the custom shop pups or what, but there is something special about this bass. Anyway, I put it back on the wall and walked out, as I'd just [i]sold[/i] a bass, right? I sure as hell wasn't about to [i]buy[/i] one, especially not one costing more than a grand.

But it knawed away at me and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I even posted a thread on here about the best place to buy one as I have never been over-impressed with PMT, but a lot of the advice was along the lines of "if you've found one that feels just right then go for it as the quality can vary". So I did.

I had assumed that they came in one of those moulded plastic cases, but actually it's a really nice black tolex case with more of a vintage look to it. Would probably not be as hardwearing as one of the plastic ones, but I think for now it will be the other bass I'll be taking to gigs...

Anyway - I have never played a bass as often or for so long as I have this one. It just feels so perfect. I have always loved rosewood fretboards but this one is maple and I couldn't be happier. The tort pickguard is great too - a step above any aftermarket tort I have bought. And I have never been at all bothered by bridges one way or another, but that hi-mass bridge is beautiful. Wonderful to look at and rest the heel of your hand on, and great sustain.

The tone? Really full and warm. I can't quite explain how it differs from my 97 P but it does. I'm not sure if it's an "authentic" vintage tone but strung with flats it absolutely gives me the sound in my head.

So now let me give you some pics so you can see for yourself:

[/quote]

What a stunning bass. I think Fender's current colour range is desperately uninspiring but that sir is something else entirely!