Why become a member? ×

No More Limelight Fender Decals

discreet

And another thing (sorry, I'm starting to get Meldrew now) there are two basses currently for sale in our own for sale section, which are advertised as X manufacturer, when they are both actually luthier made bitsa's, both asking significant amounts of money.
Don't see anybody greeting about that.
Right, I'm off for a spoonful of bromide. :rolleyes:

I really don't understand the fuss about this, limelight are replicas, sold as such and identifiable from the real thing, this isn't the same deal as the asswipes who regularly try to pass off squires as fender custom shop instruments on ebay (they include custom shop logos and fake serial numbers on the headstock) or criminals recombining the parts of genuine vintage instruments to disguise their identities [url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107289/Posh-music-shop-owners-hob-nobbed-celebrity-clients-convicted-1million-stolen-guitar-plot.html"]like this case[/url]

I like old worn things, I find them much more interesting than shiny new off the production line items, would there be the same sort of fuss about decals and copyright if limelight made a reliced 80s squier (or early 90s silver series) complete with squier logo?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403863288' post='2487171']
Yip, but if you're looking at something from the 70s it's not quite that simple... :-)
[/quote]

That is very true, but not impossible. You just need about a gallon of polyurethane! :D

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403862170' post='2487154']
The one you posted was the one I was looking for! It looks much smarter, something a little bit different.
[/quote]

I like both, really - it's so simple. Works really well, imho. :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403862486' post='2487160']
In the unlikely event that anybody actually acknowledged my existence at a gig I would tell them it is a replica Fender built to my specifications by a talented luthier.
Much the same as I used to tell anybody that asked that my Rickenfaker was actually made in Japan in the 70's.
[/quote]

So if you'll happily tell anyone who asks that it's not a Fender but a Fender-copy, why be so desperate for a Fender logo on the headstock?

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403862798' post='2487164']
And I think somebody kicked off a controversial subject, with their own agenda.
Just my thoughts and yes even Darlingtonians are allowed that.
[/quote]

Wasn't the thread started by Discreet, who has a Limelight bass of his own? What's his agenda then?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403864485' post='2487195']
So if you'll happily tell anyone who asks that it's not a Fender but a Fender-copy, why be so desperate for a Fender logo on the headstock?

Wasn't the thread started by Discreet, who has a Limelight bass of his own? What's his agenda then?
[/quote]

Quote 1. Because I f***ing want want.
Quote 2. That post is in reference to the other thread that led to this one.

I would 1000x prefer if he made a Limelight logo rather than something like 'Fedner'... I woulnt buy one as that would be TOO fake for me haha.

For me a logo needs to 'fill' the headstock, that nash logo looks lost to me.

As much as I'd prefer a fender logo on the bass purely for the complete look, after having a think about it I think it's probably best he did stop using them. This guy is providing excellent custom built guitars for sensible prices and losing that would be a bigger shame.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403864485' post='2487195']
[/quote]

For clarity:
This thread was started by me to make an announcement about a decision that was made following a previous thread. :)

I enter this thread with a bit of nervousness as it seems 'off topic' has visited 'bass guitars'. However, I have a bit of sympathy for karlfer here as he ordered a bass on the basis that it would have a 'Fender' decal on the headstock as per the current offerings from Limelight. It is not for anyone to question why he wants a Fender decal. We all have different opinions and so let's live and let live. I hope that Mark will create karlfer's bass with the Fender decal before going down the route of producing basses with no logos. I would be fed up if I thought I was ordering one thing to get another. Of course if this hadn't been raised as an issue Mark could have been left to his own devices to choose when to omit the decals if at all. I have dealt with Mark in the past and he is a thorough gent. He is also capable of making his own decisions.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403865858' post='2487212']
Quote 1. Because I f***ing want want.
Quote 2. That post is in reference to the other thread that led to this one.
[/quote]

Sorry, does that mean you're referring to Conan, the man who said:

"This is in no way an attempt to stir things up!"

"First of all, and to set the record straight, I have no beef with Limelight guitars. I have looked at a number of them on their website and some of them are beautiful looking instruments. A bit heavily relicked for [b][i]my[/i][/b] taste, but whatever floats your boat!"

"I really don't have an axe to grind here, and am genuinely interested in what people think."

"Oh, and I would quite like one myself - either a Burgundy Mist or Surf Green Jazz with matching headstock in light relic. The playability of a pre-CBS Fender for the price of a MIM Geddy Lee? You'd be daft not to!"

Yep, quite clearly this man has an agenda.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1403867378' post='2487234'] I enter this thread with a bit of nervousness as it seems 'off topic' has visited 'bass guitars'. However, I have a bit of sympathy for karlfer here as he ordered a bass on the basis that it would have a 'Fender' decal on the headstock as per the current offerings from Limelight. It is not for anyone to question why he wants a Fender decal. We all have different opinions and so let's live and let live. I hope that Mark will create karlfer's bass with the Fender decal before going down the route of producing basses with no logos. I would be fed up if I thought I was ordering one thing to get another. Of course if this hadn't been raised as an issue Mark could have been left to his own devices to choose when to omit the decals if at all. I have dealt with Mark in the past and he is a thorough gent. He is also capable of making his own decisions. [/quote]

Thanks Hutton. As you know I rarely revert to profanity but some of the more antagonistic on here would drive a nun to swearing.
I will make my thoughts clear.
People have the right to verbally challenge me.
I have the right to ignore them or tell them to bog off.
Or tell them that sometimes there is more to words than meet the eye.
NOW I'm going for my bromide.

Edited by karlfer

I'm not completely sure how different it would be with the buyer applying a F****r decal, rather than the builder. Considering the majority of Mark's orders are custom builds anyway and not advertised on the site, they would surely be under the radar?...

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403862798' post='2487164']
And I think somebody kicked off a controversial subject, with their own agenda.
[/quote]

Definitely this. Especially annoying when somebody pretends they had the interests of the builder in mind all along, when in reality they've been stirring s**t for no conceivable reason.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1403868690' post='2487247']
Considering the majority of Mark's orders are custom builds anyway and not advertised on the site, they would surely be under the radar?
[/quote]

I'm sure that has been the case, right up to the point he sold some basses to people who post a lot on a public bass forum and are pleased and proud to show everyone who wants to look multiple and detailed pictures of their purchases along with praise for said builder by name! :)

So yes, I am an offender! :blink: [size=4]But that's what this forum is for, isn't it? How could I keep a bass like that to myself?? It's frigging phenomenal!! And [/size][size=4]Mark thanks us for the publicity and for raising the profile of Limelight. You can't have it both ways. The genii is out of the bottle - it won't go back in (I've tried). ;)[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1403870025' post='2487265']
Hmmm! Making me think my uncle should remove the AC off his Cobra replica t [/quote]
AC are no longer in business, other cars bearing similar names are AC cars UK etc. If you want to register Limelight Fender basses UK 2014 ltd that's fine, if you want to build your own almost certainly worth less than it costs to build and put a logo on that's fine. Selling a product as a registered business with some one elses logo on that is well know to be copy righted is not, so what if a few people want to pretend they have a vintage fender when they don't, a logo will be tuppence on Ebay and two minutes to fit it. I'd be glad the company managed to get some trade selling off the fender brand before losing it all, jeez the brand is a total fender rip off anyway it's only the logo that they can stop him using so be glad the rest of the instrument can be made or design, build, promote and sell his own creations! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403873651' post='2487316']
AC are no longer in business, other cars bearing similar names are AC cars UK etc. If you want to register Limelight Fender basses UK 2014 ltd that's fine, if you want to build your own almost certainly worth less than it costs to build and put a logo on that's fine. Selling a product as a registered business with some one elses logo on that is well know to be copy righted is not, so what if a few people want to pretend they have a vintage fender when they don't, a logo will be tuppence on Ebay and two minutes to fit it. I'd be glad the company managed to get some trade selling off the fender brand before losing it all, jeez the brand is a total fender rip off anyway it's only the logo that they can stop him using so be glad the rest of the instrument can be made or design, build, promote and sell his own creations! :D
[/quote] The man has a point :D

I get the whole Limelight thing regarding copyright issues/concerns. But lets be truthful, half of the appeal to most buyers is having the logo make it look like the real deal, without it, it's just another bass.....with the logo it is a replica - I'm guessing that's what most people would like without the hassle of having to source the logo, fit etc etc but as i say i get it - peeps will just be sourcing their own logo from now on.

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403871421' post='2487282']
Elephant in the room
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soy4x-H4gI4"]▶ AtomiIc Rooster- A Spoonful of Bromide Helps The Pulse Rate Go Down [1972] - YouTube[/url]
[/quote]

I enjoyed that :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1403874359' post='2487325']
The man has a point :D

I get the whole Limelight thing regarding copyright issues/concerns. But lets be truthful, half of the appeal to most buyers is having the logo make it look like the real deal, without it it just another bass.....with the logo it is a replica - I'm guessing that's what most people would like without the hassle of having to source the logo, fit etc etc but as i say i get it - peeps will just be sourcing their own logo from now on.
[/quote]

I would rather have a blank headstock than a Fender logo on a bass that wasn't really a Fender. I really fail to understand the appeal of having a Fender logo when the owner knows it's not Fender and if the owners are to be believed, they're happy to tell anyone and everyone that their bass isn't a genuine Fender. If the Limelight basses are as good as they're cracked up to be then the lack of a Fender badge on the headstock shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I don't agree that companies like Limelight should be manufacturing a product using another company's copyrighted logo. While I'm sure that these instruments are good in their own right, there's no doubt in my mind that the fact that they can be passed off fairly convincingly as the real deal are part of the reason that they've gained so much popularity. I really doubt the comapny would have grown as quickly had they been badged with a Limelight logo or left with a blank headstock.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403871421' post='2487282']
Elephant in the room
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soy4x-H4gI4"]▶ Atomic Rooster- A Spoonful of Bromide Helps The Pulse Rate Go Down [1972] - YouTube[/url]
[/quote]

Well now, posting a band with no bass player on a bass forum, that's not going to calm anyone down is it?
;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403871861' post='2487289']
But that's what this forum is for, isn't it?
[/quote]

Exactly. That, and the discussion of isshoos pertaining to the care and feeding of bass guitarists.

Three incontrovertible facts:

* Individuals can stick whatever logo they like on their bass and good luck to them. Commercial operations can't.

* Individuals can offer an opinion here on pretty much anything and good luck to them

* Any time I see someone playing an apparently ancient, dinged-up bass with Fender on the headstock I assume it's a replica. That's how far things have gone.