Why become a member? ×

No More Limelight Fender Decals

discreet

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1403802268' post='2486646']
Well done to the easily offended...
[/quote]

Oh per-lease! :rolleyes:

Would all of you nay-sayers rather that the guy was hit by a massive legal bill when Fender get round to checking him out? And what will have led them to him will be all the NBD threads talking about what a wonderful "Fender" they have just sourced for £800.

Don't think it wouldn't happen, because it would.

I think common sense has prevailed. Mark's response shows that he is a sensible guy, and his basses are clearly of high quality and they will sell because of that. Whether they are branded as Fender, Limelight or "Mark Bass" is immaterial.... Oh, er... hang on... :lol:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403853277' post='2487016']
Jeans, Next, Gucci. They are of no importance to ME.[/quote]

Well at least that sentence makes more sense than the last one. The jeans thing was supposed to be an analogy though, I wasn't suggesting that you actually place a high importance on what brand your jeans are, but it's the same thing to me, one brand marquerading as another at a much more affordable price point.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403853277' post='2487016']
I have bought many Fenders in the last 39 years. They do not currently provide a reasonably priced bass in the specifications I would like. Somebody else does.
Yes I would like it with Fender on the top because it is a homage to one of their earlier instruments that I adore. Can't afford real or custom shop.
I am not buying it to make a profit, I'm buying it for Me to gig. The aesthetics are for ME.
Most luthier built instruments you will lose money on. That isn't an issue for me.
I would have bought this instrument from Peterbuilt except they do not put Fender logos on.
I really don't give a monkey's wang about anybody else's thought's about how shallow I am.
[/quote]

So let me ask you this: If someone came up to you at a gig and said "Hey buddy, nice Fender", would you say "thanks" and leave it at that, or would you tell them that it's not in fact a Fender but it's - in effect - a knock-off?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403856424' post='2487060']
Woo Hoo a thousand posts... I really should find something more productive to do with my time :blink:
[/quote]

+10

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1403857106' post='2487069']
Mind you given my post count, should keep my mouth shut :D
[/quote]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403809997' post='2486767']
Exactly. It's not difficult to do.
[/quote]

It's much harder than I thought it would be
:)

I've done a few now, and still need to buy at least 2 of any decal I intend to apply. Especially if I'm burying them in lacqeur.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1403858690' post='2487098']
It's much harder than I thought it would be :)
I've done a few now, and still need to buy at least 2 of any decal I intend to apply. Especially if I'm burying them in lacqeur.
[/quote]

On a 'vintage' bass you don't have to bury them in lacquer. The originals had the decal applied on top of the clear coat. :) In any case, if you're an inept, butter-fingered incompetent and impractical git, you can get someone else to do it! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403856357' post='2487059']
Unfortunately it seems they can't do unreliced finishes.... :(

Maybe peterbuilt can help me....
[/quote]

Oh damn :(

Maybe I'll ask for the lightest of light light light relics :lol:

I'm not going to get overly involved in this discussion but I would say that if Limelight need to go with a new logo of their own then not to go down the 'as close to a fender logo as I can legally get away with' in terms of font and styling. I think it just looks a bit cheap and desperate. Go with something that seems to fit the styling of the bass sure but make it your own.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403859056' post='2487104']
Unless it's supposed to be under the lacquer of a well-relic'd headstock. That's a fair bit trickier :-)
[/quote]

Trickier, yes; but my Jazz is fairly well relic'd - and the decal is on top of the finish, as was the case on early Jazzes.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1403859286' post='2487109']
I'm not going to get overly involved in this discussion but I would say that if Limelight need to go with a new logo of their own then not to go down the 'as close to a fender logo as I can legally get away with' in terms of font and styling. I think it just looks a bit cheap and desperate. Go with something that seems to fit the styling of the bass sure but make it your own.
[/quote]

Totally agree. The 'Fedner' thing has been done to death. Mark would be better off (imho) to go with something completely different that's simple and unmistakeable. I'd base it on an appropriate typeface myself, but as an ex-typesetter I'm biased...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403859878' post='2487118']
Trickier, yes; but my Jazz is fairly well relic'd - and the decal is on top of the finish, as was the case on early Jazzes.

Totally agree. The 'Fedner' thing has been done to death. Mark would be better off (imho) to go with something completely different that's simple and unmistakeable. I'd base it on an appropriate typeface myself, but as an ex-typesetter I'm biased...
[/quote]

Yep. There is an opportunity of doing something really creative re. a headstock logo here. Hopefully it would be something a little more rock n roll than the Nash logo, though Nash basses seem to be pretty popular.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1403860259' post='2487126']
Hopefully it would be something a little more rock n roll than the Nash logo, though Nash basses seem to be pretty popular.
[/quote]

I like the Nash logo - it's very understated and classy. Exactly the opposite of Fender's florid script. I imagine most people would prefer something a bit more in your face, though.

Going a bit off the wall, I think that a 'branded' (ie with hot iron) logo would be good - not removable and unique.

Edited by discreet

I think the Nash headstock logo is much nicer than any Fender one I seen bar the original spaghetti logo. I like that you have the option of leaving the headstock blank as well. Blank headstocks always look cooler than some naff badge.

[attachment=165705:Headstock.jpg]

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1403860259' post='2487126']
Yep. There is an opportunity of doing something really creative re. a headstock logo here. Hopefully it would be something a little more rock n roll than the Nash logo, though Nash basses seem to be pretty popular.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403860603' post='2487131']
I like the Nash logo - it's very understated and classy. Exactly the opposite of Fender's florid script. I imagine most people would prefer something a bit more in your face, though.

[/quote]

Ah, you fellas beat me to it! Must've spent too long looking for a picture to post!

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403860847' post='2487134']
Ah, you fellas beat me to it! Must've spent too long looking for a picture to post!
[/quote]

I think that's a better position for it on the headstock.

Edit: I think there may be a market for knock-off Nash decals!! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403861292' post='2487138']
I think that's a better position for it on the headstock.

Edit: I think there may be a market for knock-off Nash decals!! :D
[/quote]

The one you posted was the one I was looking for! It looks much smarter, something a little bit different.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403857965' post='2487077']
Well at least that sentence makes more sense than the last one. The jeans thing was supposed to be an analogy though, I wasn't suggesting that you actually place a high importance on what brand your jeans are, but it's the same thing to me, one brand marquerading as another at a much more affordable price point.

So let me ask you this: If someone came up to you at a gig and said "Hey buddy, nice Fender", would you say "thanks" and leave it at that, or would you tell them that it's not in fact a Fender but it's - in effect - a knock-off?
[/quote]

In the unlikely event that anybody actually acknowledged my existence at a gig I would tell them it is a replica Fender built to my specifications by a talented luthier.
Much the same as I used to tell anybody that asked that my Rickenfaker was actually made in Japan in the 70's.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403855441' post='2487053']
Oh per-lease! :rolleyes:

Would all of you nay-sayers rather that the guy was hit by a massive legal bill when Fender get round to checking him out? And what will have led them to him will be all the NBD threads talking about what a wonderful "Fender" they have just sourced for £800.

Don't think it wouldn't happen, because it would.

I think common sense has prevailed. Mark's response shows that he is a sensible guy, and his basses are clearly of high quality and they will sell because of that. Whether they are branded as Fender, Limelight or "Mark Bass" is immaterial.... Oh, er... hang on... :lol:
[/quote]

And I think somebody kicked off a controversial subject, with their own agenda.
Just my thoughts and yes even Darlingtonians are allowed that.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403859878' post='2487118']

Trickier, yes; but my Jazz is fairly well relic'd - and the decal is on top of the finish, as was the case on early Jazzes
[/quote]

Yip, but if you're looking at something from the 70s it's not quite that simple... :-)