Why become a member? ×

No More Limelight Fender Decals

discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403808716' post='2486744']
Particularly for me (selfish yes) as I posted my cheque late last night and he will get it tomorrow.
[/quote] Maybe not as you ordered before he made the decision to not put Fender decals on so by rights yours should come with a Fender decal might be worth banging an email his way?

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403808716' post='2486744']
Particularly for me (selfish yes) as I posted my cheque late last night and he will get it tomorrow.
[/quote]

The instruments already ordered could wear a decal without too much risk.
Mark's decision may only apply to new orders starting from after he made that decision.

Beaten to it by Paul! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1403809770' post='2486763']
If these basses are that good at this price, then the product should stand on its own 2 feet regardless of the decal on the head.
[/quote]

[size=4]Yes! I believe Limelight have the quality and are at the right price point to do very well regardless.[/size]

[size=4][quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403809894' post='2486764'][/size]Just put your own decals on, you cant have a company trading on anothers name.
[/quote]

Exactly. It's not difficult to do.

Edited by discreet

I guess from a brand building point of view, having something recognisable such as Fender will get interest in the basses in the early days, as Limelight has grown, almost exponentially of late, it's not the best practice to keep the F decal, if anything it could harm Mark's future business growth, however at the same time, having a bass that looks pretty much to a T like an actual vintage Fender was part of the allure, however I'd rather have tone and playability over the 100% authentic look.

Perhaps Mark should look to develop his Limelight scrawl further? I genuinely would be proud to have my bass wearing his own logo on the front. However the sharpie on the rear of the headstock is simplicity and quirkiness epitomised.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1403808857' post='2486747']
Maybe not as you ordered before he made the decision to not put Fender decals on so by rights yours should come with a Fender decal might be worth banging an email his way?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403809147' post='2486750']
The instruments already ordered could wear a decal without too much risk.
Mark's decision may only apply to new orders starting from after he made that decision.

Beaten to it by Paul! :)
[/quote]
[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403809185' post='2486751']
PM'd dude!
[/quote]

Thanks guys. I'm not going to pester Mark. Having just come back from his holidays to all this I guess he probably has enough on his plate.
Part of the attraction is the look of what is frankly unobtainable to most of us.
I can not speak for anybody else, but most of the punters I gig to wouldn't know a Jedson from a Rickenbacker. The look is for ME.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403810907' post='2486775']
I can not speak for anybody else, but most of the punters I gig to wouldn't know a Jedson from a Rickenbacker.
[/quote]

They probably wouldn't know a bass from a guitar if the truth be known. :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403810907' post='2486775']
Part of the attraction is the look of what is frankly unobtainable to most of us.
[/quote]

Yes, but the look is 99.999% there anyway. Applying a decal is very easy to do!! Early F decals were applied over a clear coat, so you don't have to be involved in a lot of finishing work. It's just a transfer basically.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403811014' post='2486777']

They probably wouldn't know a bass from a guitar if the truth be known. :D
[/quote]

That's if they even realise I'm with the band... 'Whos that guy lurking in the corner behind the band?! What a weirdo!'

I've emailed asking about a leftie. If the build was going to happen I was gonna ask Mark if he could put a decal on headstock saying 'Limelight' rather than the sharpie pen on the back.
Easy enough to do. Either use same font as Fender or even have a competition here on BC to choose a suitable font or design a logo from scratch.

I would like to see Mark come up with a cracking design of his own for the forthcoming basses. If his craftsmanship is anything to go by I'm sure he could do something brilliant, and hopefully start to build his brand further. I would still consider buying one on the merit of being able to spec my own bass alone..

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403811194' post='2486781']
That's if they even realise I'm with the band... 'Whos that guy lurking in the corner behind the band?! What a weirdo!'
[/quote]

Thank you for the coffee injected screen :lol:

Sorry, am I missing something? What I understand from this thread is a company who makes copies of a larger, better known company's basses is going to stop using the copyrighted logo of said larger, better known company. It seems like a lot of members are very disappointed by the fact that if they buy one of these non-Fender basses it'll no longer carry a Fender decal.

Do they also get upset when their jeans from Next don't have a Gucci logo?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403813707' post='2486821']
Sorry, am I missing something? What I understand from this thread is a company who makes copies of a larger, better known company's basses is going to stop using the copyrighted logo of said larger, better known company. It seems like a lot of members are very disappointed by the fact that if they buy one of these non-Fender basses it'll no longer carry a Fender decal.

Do they also get upset when their jeans from Next don't have a Gucci logo?
[/quote]

Jeans Next and Gucci are of little import :mellow:

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1403850640' post='2486993']
I have a replica with a fender logo. All part of the fact its a replica. If you don't like it you'll have to get over it I'm afraid.
[/quote]
I had one too, on a bitsa I made but I sold it at a loss, you can't have a profit making business putting them on at the factory IMO, nothing to get over.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403815049' post='2486841']
"Are of little import"?
[/quote]

Jeans, Next, Gucci. They are of no importance to ME.
I have bought many Fenders in the last 39 years. They do not currently provide a reasonably priced bass in the specifications I would like. Somebody else does.
Yes I would like it with Fender on the top because it is a homage to one of their earlier instruments that I adore. Can't afford real or custom shop.
I am not buying it to make a profit, I'm buying it for Me to gig. The aesthetics are for ME.
Most luthier built instruments you will lose money on. That isn't an issue for me.
I would have bought this instrument from Peterbuilt except they do not put Fender logos on.
I really don't give a monkey's wang about anybody else's thought's about how shallow I am.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403853277' post='2487016']

I have bought many Fenders in the last 39 years. They do not currently provide a reasonably priced bass in the specifications I would like. Somebody else does.
Yes I would like it with Fender on the top because it is a homage to one of their earlier instruments that I adore. Can't afford real or custom shop.
I am not buying it to make a profit, I'm buying it for Me to gig. The aesthetics are for ME.
Most luthier built instruments you will lose money on. That isn't an issue for me.
I would have bought this instrument from Peterbuilt except they do not put Fender logos on.
I really don't give a monkey's wang about anybody else's thought's about how shallow I am.
[/quote]

I'm with ya mate!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403853277' post='2487016']
[/quote]

Karl, will you please get off the fence mate.

+ several btw

Edited by ead