Why become a member? ×

Drummer taking too long to set up

coffee_king

I'd never experienced it before joining my folk band. It's generally because every song is in a different tuning or capo'd on a different fret requiring tuning, so the front man will ramble on about something. Sometimes he explains what the song is about or why it was written. Sometimes it's politics. Sometimes it's just a joke

Depending on the gig it either goes down really well, or falls on deaf ears. Never heard a complaint about it though

I've played on some pretty ropey stages over the course of time that can cause the stands to 'dance' and move out of position, and so a deft 'pull back' can, in some circumstances, be required. No, it doesn't happen [i]that [/i]often, and not on all stages, but some venues (especially outdoors, on parquet flooring, for instance...) can get quite 'mobile' once everyone is dancing about to the great music we're putting out..! Would none of you redress your bass head if it were sliding off the cab..? Of course you would..! Is [i]that [/i]un-professional..? :rolleyes:

If you can do it well then the intros can sometimes be as entertaining as the songs themselves. Have a listen to Tull's 'Bursting Out' album for evidence. But you need a front man who can pull it off and most sadly can't. There are other instances where an explanation of why a song was written can be quite illuminating (at least before the internet where we of course now know everything about anything all the time ;) ). I recall David Gates telling the audience at a gig I went to how 'Everything I Own' was often misinterpreted for example. Sometimes you need a lull in the flow or a set can get too overwhelming especially if its a band that doesn't do a lot of 'light n shade' in their repertoire.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1403695069' post='2485335']
Would none of you redress your bass head if it were sliding off the cab..? Of course you would..! Is [i]that [/i]un-professional..? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

My bass rig is designed and assembled in such a way that none of it is going to be moving about under all but the most extreme of conditions (something like the stage collapsing). If I had road crew the whole rig would be built into a single flight case on lockable wheels. Simply wheel into position, remove the front and back lids, and plug the power into the back and I'm ready to go.

IME the less time you spend messing about setting up the more time you have available for the more enjoyable aspects of the gig such as playing the music, talking to your fans and drinking.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403689672' post='2485241']
I tell you, I don't like perpetuating stereotypes (much...) but over many years I've found keys players to be nothing but a huge bloody pain in the arse. There's definitely something wrong with 'em. Always late, aloof, over-developed sense of worth and entitlement, encroach on my frequency space with their pointlessly noodling left hands... mentally ill... I could go on.

Apologies to all the lovely keys players reading this who are musically adept, perfectly sane, humble, modest and punctual! :D
[/quote] He plays in your band as well then :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1403700674' post='2485421']
If the drums don't kick in until the first chorus, am I allowed to f*** about with the snare height during the first verse? Or is that unprofessional? :)
[/quote]

It's very unprofessional to not have the drums start any song. Get the set list changed. :mellow:

:lol: :P

Good job they don,t do tour support then.
10 mins set up,10 mins sound check,overun set up and that is deducted from sound check if you get one that is.
I know a Very well known venue if your not set up in 10 mins they pick your gear up and throw it out the back door and you don,t return.
I played with a drummer that took so long to set up that he was simply replaced.

Fortunately the drummers I work with are pretty swift, but one has the undesirable knack of unloading his car full of kit and dumping it all over the entire stage. He's set up quick, we're not!

On the subject of talking between songs, the function band I play in aims to start the next song before the audience has stopped applauding. However, another set up has a singer guilty of talking too much between songs, I might send him a link to this thread, after I've changed my avatar of me playing at one of his gigs!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403696996' post='2485369']Simply wheel into position, remove the front and back lids, and plug the power into the back and I'm ready to go.[/quote]

And presumably it would be the same procedure for the bass rig?

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1403732611' post='2485841']
Fortunately the drummers I work with are pretty swift, but one has the undesirable knack of unloading his car full of kit and dumping it all over the entire stage. He's set up quick, we're not!

[/quote]

Yup, same for us plus the keys player doing the same except they're not particularly quick, fecking nightmare!

Although what is the problem with how long they take to set up?

It takes me 2 trips to the at and less than 5mins to set my bass gear up.

Then I'll do the lights which is another trip and another 5mins.

That's a lot quicker than the drummer. So I could either arrive much later, or as expected, at the same time as everyone else, set up then disappear until 'sound check'.

Our 'sound check' is done during the first song. We just do a very rudimentary operational check of the PA.

we had a drummer who used to take an hour to set up and half hour to take down.... was a ballache especially for three hour practice sessions. our current one can do it in 20 minutes, but I knew a drummer previously who would set his cymbal stands before going onto the stage so it took us 10 minutes to get on and 10 to get off

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1403788420' post='2486392']
... I knew a drummer previously who would set his cymbal stands before going onto the stage so it took us 10 minutes to get on and 10 to get off
[/quote]

I like to do this but some techies seem to have a big problem with it. One gig I did recently they asked WTF I was doing as there were house-stands available. I explained I was trying to save them time and effort but they just seemed really pissed off

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1403788420' post='2486392']...set his cymbal stands before going onto the stage...[/quote]

My multi-branch cymbal stands are also my tom holders, and are never taken down, only the legs are folded up. Even with the memory locks and such built in, it would take half a day to dismantle them..! They take up space in the truck, of course, but are set up as quickly as one can be. Unfold legs, slide tom on, two wing-nuts for cymbals and it's done. No-brainer, really...

Our gear has to go in a certain way so bass amp and power runs are first, then drums set to that and then gtrs and keys can build round that.
Mixer and P.A and lights need to be set pretty early as well, but drums are left to drum man as he knows how much air he needs to get to them..so outside, touching them is a complete no-no. Fine with me...

Set-up for whole 5 piece band is 1 hr and break-down closer to 30 mins if all piling in...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1403814019' post='2486823']
Our drummers kit has got less and less over the years... used to have two floor toms and extra tom toms on the kit... now he can't be bothered... which is nice...
[/quote]

Ours is the same. kick, floor tom, one other tom, snare, hat and two cymbals. That's it.

I used to work with a drummer who's overambitious kit included a floor tom who's sole purpose it seemed was to put the set list on. And he still expected evryone to muck in loading it back in the van at the end of the gig.