Why become a member? ×

Drummer taking too long to set up

coffee_king

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1403615252' post='2484504']
What are these?! I would love to have my kit set up exactly the same every time!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibraltar-sc-ml1-1in-memory-locks-4-pack/37185?gclid=CjkKEQjww6SdBRDls9vxsf7EoM0BEiQART_xPnnHvKw2PuNxKizpIXI-5dyuYe0CTuNf9StJ2v9IQaTw_wcB"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibraltar-sc-ml1-1in-memory-locks-4-pack/37185?gclid=CjkKEQjww6SdBRDls9vxsf7EoM0BEiQART_xPnnHvKw2PuNxKizpIXI-5dyuYe0CTuNf9StJ2v9IQaTw_wcB[/url]

I use DW hardware which has them built in.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1403612449' post='2484432']
Ours gets to the venue 30 minutes before the rest of us do and he's just about finished by then.

There's nothing worse than trying to set up around a pile of half assembled scaffolding. :)
[/quote]

Agreed, but our solution is different. We set up everything except the drums, because who wants to run PA cables through a forest of drums and cymbal stands?

Paul the Drums builds individual pieces elsewhere in the pub while we set up the PA, lights and backline. When we're done, he simply moves each piece into position.

Think of it as parallel processing.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1403614482' post='2484483']

Is it unprofessional for a guitarist to tune in between songs? I don't think so, but maybe your set is all worked out to flow seamlessly with no gaps?
[/quote]

Not as unprofessional as playing whole set out of tune! ;)

I normally check my tuning at the beginning, half way through the first set and at the beginning of the second set. But I would deffo rather check I am in tune to be safe than play out of tune!

Thanks for the input so far, I googled Memory Locks and found this guys set up videos

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWE86wmUIDOfBakbuAALZmQ/videos

He has to be the most organised, clued up drummer (For setting up) I've ever seen.

I think everyone on here should show these memory lock, colour coding, markers etc videos to their drummers and we'll all be in 10-15 minutes set up heaven.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403615073' post='2484495']...PS: What are all these drummers doing on a bass forum, anyway?? :D[/quote]

We're enjoying the show whilst waiting for Drumchat.co.uk to come on line.

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1403612569' post='2484435']
Ever tried helping him get the drums set up?

You could help load in, get stands up & place cymbals so he can get them set up for him, you could get drums & cymbals out of cases, hi-hat stand etc, etc. While he's faffing about getting them all into position, you can set your gear up.

Being in a band is a team effort after all, so if everyone pulls together as a team, all good for the "common cause", which is why you are all in a rehearsal room together in the first place... surely?
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1403612569' post='2484435']
Ever tried helping him get the drums set up?

You could help load in, get stands up & place cymbals so he can get them set up for him, you could get drums & cymbals out of cases, hi-hat stand etc, etc. While he's faffing about getting them all into position, you can set your gear up.

Being in a band is a team effort after all, so if everyone pulls together as a team, all good for the "common cause", which is why you are all in a rehearsal room together in the first place... surely?
[/quote]

We all unload ALL the bands gear before starting to set anything up, but we do all arrive at different times in different vehicles.
Like I said, myself and the guitarist usually have EVERYTHING else set up before the drummers even finished though, so the "Common cause" and "Team effort" statements I feel do not apply to myself and the guitarist.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1403615196' post='2484500']Memory locks...[/quote]
[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1403615252' post='2484504']What are these?...[/quote]

These are the excuses we old duffers use when we've forgotten our sticks, snare drum or even that we had a gig this week-end, as in "Oh, no..! Another memory lock..!" :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

I regularly work with three or four professional/semi-professional deps, and they set up (we give them a hand in with their bags/boxes first) in 20 minutes max, including a kick and overhead mic, with minimal noise until the actual soundcheck starts. Any more than that and I'd be looking at a guy who frankly hasn't got his sh*t together... The professional guys are the fastest to set up...funny that... <_<

We went to see a blues outfit on Bleecker Street last year, a 3-piece with their own backline. They were due to be on at 10:30pm after a solo bluesman had finished playing at 10pm.

It could have been billed as [i][b]'Setting Up As Performance Art'.[/b][/i]

At 10:20 we were sitting directly in front of a completely empty stage, checking our watches, and thinking: "They're not going to show."

Then a guy strolls out of the green room holding a snare drum, just a snare drum. Casually glances around a packed room, then puts the snare on the stage. Strolls back into the green room as another guy walks out carrying a chair, just a chair.

For the next nine minutes there are just these three guys casually strolling on and off stage.

At 10:29 the guitarist and bass player plug in. The drummer is still erecting his hi-hat.

At 10:30 the guitarist says "1-2-3-4 ...." and they're playing.

The sound is perfect, everything works, instruments are in tune, the levels are right for the room.

Talking to other punters later, it's obvious that this is normal behaviour for Bleecker Street.

Talking to the guitarist, it turns out that the drummer is a dep and has never played with the other two before.

Yeah our drummer takes about 30 minutes to set up his Bon Jovi stadium sized kit ( std kit plus 2 floor toms 4 rack toms and about 320 cymbals!) in the Dog and Duck then we squeeze in around him.....nice orange sparkly kit though it looks great when I up light it

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1403611326' post='2484407']
Hey all

I don't mean to moan at all drummers, but how long does your drummer take to get set up?

Mine takes like 45 mins to an hour and its really doing my head in.

We're only a three piece (He uses kick, snare, 2 toms, hihats, ride and about 4 crashes) but by the time the drummers set up myself and my guitarist can get ALL of our gear set up, and the PA, and all the lighting.

I know drummers have "More gear" to set up than any other member but I really do think 45 mins to 1 hour is excessive.

I'm probably on the wrong type of forum here, but I'd love to know how your drummer sets up and how long it takes them?

I think what also annoys me is the contact banging of the snare. Yes, I realise he needs to get the height and the angle right but surely this doesnt take 3-4 minutes each time he adds a piece of drum equipment.

[/quote]

That sounds EXACTLY like my drummer and it does my head in too.

Our drummer takes about 30 minutes and has a tiny kit. Brings his own carpet, a towel, a bag of approx 100 spare sticks of all assortments and special trainers. Cases all over the show. Hes got this huge bag about 6 foot long full of stands and i help him with it if access is tricky (ooh err missus) otherwise he can drag it on wheels.

I understand at gigs he needs to tune his kit but it does make me wince sometimes cos it seems to go on for a long time.

That said, I'd rather have a good drummer who takes a long time to set up and is really annoying and makes me want to punch from time to time than a bad drummer who is efficient and nice.