Sarah5string

What are you listening to right now?

Posted (edited)

Didn't realise the insane drummer is Carmine Appice!

Edited by Stub Mandrel

6 hours ago, lemonstar said:

More monologue than music but the man has talent.

This is the CD that I currently have on in my Forester!

Somebody ought to chain up the bass player.

Love that line!

• Like 1

I'm also listening to everything I've got by Tommy Stinson, Bash & Pop etc

Just for smiles.

Genevieve Artadi (Knower) messing about in her kitchen with Aya to reproduce a Disney-esque version of a Snow White tune. She has a real problem keeping a straight face!

Look out for the outtakes at the end.   🙂

On 15/05/2020 at 20:58, TheMaartian said:

David Gilmour just posted the full Live At Pompeii show as a fundraiser for COVID-19 (link on YouTube page).

Finally sitting down to watch this. Adds not too intrusive,  and great playing. 

My own soundcloud account.

Sad eh?

Some of you may know that when I am not playing bass I am an opera nut. Currently listening to these stunning duets. Give them a listen. Stunning simply stunning voices:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just can't get into Opera singing at all. It always sounds false to me. Its as if they are putting an accent on to sing.

I enjoy some classical music but gonna have to draw the line at opera singing.

I've heard opera singers do other styles and they have exceptional voices too.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobthedog said:

Some of you may know that when I am not playing bass I am an opera nut. Currently listening to these stunning duets. Give them a listen. Stunning simply stunning voices:

Nice to meet another opera fan! I had 2 seats in Box 13 at the Chicago Lyric Opera for years! Have you seen Der Ring des Nibelungen live? It was a bit tough to sit through those 6+ hour performances. And our Brünnhilde was the largest woman I've ever seen on an opera stage...and I've seen a few. Even the 80 year old dowagers I shared the box with got a laugh.

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I just can't get into Opera singing at all. It always sounds false to me. Its as if they are putting an accent on to sing.

Dave

Opera is best live. Except for the stand-and-sing operas. Those can be dreadfully boring.

Until you've seen a Peter Sellars production, you haven't lived. His production of The Mikado was beyond spectacular. Absolutely faithful to the music, but with lots of theatrical twists. Like opening in a corporate board room instead of 16th century Japan. Or like having an Elvis poster and ghetto blaster in Yum-Yum's  bedroom in the second act (now back in 16th century Japan). It was a wonderful experience!

1 minute ago, TheMaartian said:

Nice to meet another opera fan! I had 2 seats in Box 13 at the Chicago Lyric Opera for years! Have you seen Der Ring des Nibelungen live? It was a bit tough to sit through those 6+ hour performances. And our Brünnhilde was the largest woman I've ever seen on an opera stage...and I've seen a few. Even the 80 year old dowagers I shared the box with got a laugh.

Wagner is not really my thing, so not, however, I was invited to the whole Ring cycle a couple of years ago at Longborough (an English country opera house). Anything Italian and I am there. Plus most other stuff.

I spend a lot of my summers at The Royal Opera House in London and Garsington and Glyndbourne (both other English country opera houses). Sadly all off due to the lockdown this season. I was supposed to see Tosca with Anna Netrebko a couple of weeks ago, but that was cancelled but also Mitridate re di Ponto (one of Mozart's first operas) at Garsington in a couple of weeks, also cancelled. 

I am a Friend (member) of the Royal Opera House and have been for years but not with seats. Have done some European opera houses too in the lasts few years and also the Met in NY (last time was Marriage of Figaro)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

That is the beauty of music, something for everyone somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Wagner is not really my thing, so not, however, I was invited to the whole Ring cycle a couple of years ago at Longborough (an English country opera house). Anything Italian and I am there. Plus most other stuff.

I spend a lot of my summers at The Royal Opera House in London and Garsington and Glyndbourne (both other English country opera houses). Sadly all off due to the lockdown this season. I was supposed to see Tosca with Anna Netrebko a couple of weeks ago, but that was cancelled but also Mitridate re di Ponto (one of Mozart's first operas) at Garsington in a couple of weeks, also cancelled. 

I am a Friend (member) of the Royal Opera House and have been for years but not with seats. Have done some European opera houses too in the lasts few years and also the Met in NY (last time was Marriage of Figaro)

The voice that came out of Anna Netrebko in the video was: a) a complete surprise, and b) just simply stunning. Love her voice!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

Opera is best live. Except for the stand-and-sing operas. Those can be dreadfully boring.

Until you've seen a Peter Sellars production, you haven't lived. His production of The Mikado was beyond spectacular. Absolutely faithful to the music, but with lots of theatrical twists. Like opening in a corporate board room instead of 16th century Japan. Or like having an Elvis poster and ghetto blaster in Yum-Yum's  bedroom in the second act (now back in 16th century Japan). It was a wonderful experience!

Before going to an opera you must have some sort of enjoyment or liking for the singing or the event. Same for any rock or prog concert i attend. I go to see bands that i already like. 

I find most music is best live but opera singing just doesn't do anything for me at all.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

That is the beauty of music, something for everyone somewhere.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong i can appreciate the skill, technique and the work that goes into what opera singers do. There's no denying that.

I'm also not a fan of thrash metal or grunge i think its called. I don't think i'd appreciate a live grunge band any more than a recording.

Its a bit like our old traditional Scottish singers from 60's that Billy Connolly used to take the p*ss out off. Like this.

• Haha 3

Love the Scots. Got treated to bagpipes on an airplane once. LHR to AMS. Second leg of home-and-home Euro qualifiers. The Scots had surprisingly beaten the Orange 1:0 in the first leg. The flight attendants disappeared after the pipes came out over the channel. The Scots lost 6:0.

Wasn't trying to push opera on you. I like the combination of orchestra (symphony), acting (theater) and singing. I think it's all of the theater productions I performed in in my younger days that helped me first enjoy opera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMaartian said:

Love the Scots. Got treated to bagpipes on an airplane once. LHR to AMS. Second leg of home-and-home Euro qualifiers. The Scots had surprisingly beaten the Orange 1:0 in the first leg. The flight attendants disappeared after the pipes came out over the channel. The Scots lost 6:0.

Wasn't trying to push opera on you. I like the combination of orchestra (symphony), acting (theater) and singing. I think it's all of the theater productions I performed in in my younger days that helped me first enjoy opera.

No probs at all. 👍

I think that's maybe the difference. I was never brought up with that style of entertainment even as a kid. It was usually the hits of the day that my folks played and then i fell into my own style of music being 70's Glam Rock like Sweet, T.Rex, Slade and of course my personal fav at that time David Bowie. That led me onto heavier rock music and then Prog and now i'm back to playing what i started with (see my avatar pic).

I guess these days i prefer to avoid even concerts. Can't even remember last time i went to pics. Might have been when ET came out. 

Think i'm too set in my ways to change now.  :lol:

Dave

• Like 1

Love your music, too! Here's a song from one of my fav Neue Deutsche Welle bands. [Sex In The Desert]

And another

Yet another (Blue Eyes)

One last one

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

Space Ritual.

Sometimes only a Lemmy will do 😁

Good idea! I'm thinking a run through Warrior On The Edge Of Time would be most excellent!

Now for something completely different. Gin Wigmore from New Zealand. Here's her first U.S.-made video.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 22:25, lemonstar said:

I want to hear this for the same reason - I've liked listening to some of her music but only for short periods of time - it's strange and intense.

Finally managed to get this (Lana Del Rey  - album ‘Norman f***ing Rockwell!’ ) - and it's interesting - the hit-me-make-me-bleed-maybe-I-deserve-it-maybe-I-like it lyrics won't suit everyone - there's a lot of artistic input in the lyrics, music, recording, production - no wonder it got positive reviews - I like some of the squidgy lead synth lines.