Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 11/05/2020 at 10:03, NancyJohnson said:

Today?  It feels like a day for Public Service Broadcasting.  I have a complete playlist on Spotify, so theat'll take care of the morning at least.  I may try and listen to the Proms show this afternoon:

Thank you for posting this, I had never heard of them before, and I have spent the past two days listening to them on applemusic at work. 

Brilliant stuff 

• Thanks 1

Trawling through stuff on Bandcamp and stopped to play to all the albums in B12's Archive series. Well recommended to electronica fans, esp of the Warp variety. B12 were on Warp's initial roster alongside The Black Dog, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and Autechre in the early 1990s. Lovely stuff.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

I have no idea what was going on in my head while I was asleep last night, but when I woke up I had an irresistible urge to listen to some Kevin Ayers. Now, Mr Ayers has written some very good songs, but the one I wanted to hear again isn't really his finest work, even if it does (probably) feature Sad Barret on guitar and backing vocals.

Listen if you dare, but you'll have it in your head for days! 

27 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm doing cashflow reports today, so need a bit of Max Webster.

RYkS3dYo585AewLMJCVc2m.jpg

Brilliant band. Was always surprised they weren't more popular. Saw them support Rush many moons ago and they were first class musicians and very entertaining to watch especially when they were just a support band.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Brilliant band. Was always surprised they weren't more popular. Saw them support Rush many moons ago and they were first class musicians and very entertaining to watch especially when they were just a support band.

Dave

Yup, saw them at Hammersmith supporting Rush and thought they were oustanding considering the sound was awful and I'd never heard a note by them beforehand,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

13 - Black Sabbath.

After several meh albums, this is awesome - 3 of the original line up plus Brad Wilk (RATM) on drums. Geezer has such a tone on this, love it, and gets some noodly runs in too.

It's a feast for old-school Sabbath fans.

There's are explicit nods to some many past songs, (virtually?) all original line-up ones from single licks and guitar sounds up to Zeitgeist being an explicit companion piece to Planet Caravan.

Not to mention starting with a pretty definite mission statement: 'Is this the end of the beginning? Or the beginning of the end?' and closing with an exact mirror of the opening of Black Sabbath.

An absolute masterpiece of an album that sucked me in on first listening because of its combination of utter familiarity with completely new arrangements.

Brad Wilkes captured poor old Bill Ward's feel as well - details like keeping the beat on the bell of a crash cymbal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm doing cashflow reports today, so need a bit of Max Webster.

RYkS3dYo585AewLMJCVc2m.jpg

Max Webster are certainly one of the best bands no-one has heard of. I have almost all their albums and love the stuff.

To be so appreciated by Rush you know they have to be good*.

Even if they are about as photogenic as the Enid...

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Max Webster are certainly one of the best bands no-one has heard of. I have almost all their albums and love the stuff.

I have never heard of them - but then, I'd never heard of Rush once.

What style of noise do/did Max Webster play?

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Think the fact Kim Mitchell was fiends with some of Rush did help tho.

Just a very technically brilliant band who played some really nice but different songs. Not the usual dross from many of the bands back then.

Dave

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

I have never heard of them - but then, I'd never heard of Rush once.

What style of noise do/did Max Webster play?

This was the single from the album A Million Vacations that reached 43 in UK charts.

• Like 1