Why become a member? ×

Alternative Rock

Happy Jack

Most genre descriptions I can at least begin to get a handle on. I may struggle (mightily) to spot the difference between a hundred flavours of Heavy Metal, but I have some clue what Heavy Metal is, what Indie is, what Acid House is, and so on.

But what the blankety-blank is "Alternative Rock"?

I've often wondered about this and can only point you to the wisdom (or otherwise) of Wikipedia:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock[/url]

'Post Rock' is another one I don't get. So 'Post Rock' isn't Rock then, presumably??

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_rock[/url]

I've always had a a somewhat cynical opinion about all these sub-genres, unfortunately it's mostly music journalists & marketing chimps trying to define/promote something fundamentally unremarkable & retrospective as the Next Big Thing, and these labels tend to stick.

Rock music's an incredibly conservative bunch of styles and personally I think you'd struggle to find anything particularly revolutionary or genre-changing that's happened in the last 25-30 years. And I speak as a dyed-in-the-wool prog rocker/metalhead/occasional punk who's lived & breathed this stuff for 35-odd years.

Math Rock? Sort of prog-meets indie, as distinct from Mathcore which tends to be frentic Prog-Metal with shouty Hardcore vocals. I think.... :blink:

Jon.

We play alternative rock in my eyes.. from Nirvana, Pixies, The Smashing Pumpkins to Radiohead & Kings of Leon.

It's depressing when awful Pop Punk is labelled as it to be honest, but i guess it could be blanket genre for stuff that isn't in the charts, which is completely contradictory given the bands I've listed.

I GIVE UP?!?!??! :(

Edited by Samashton12

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1403006549' post='2478732']
We play alternative rock in my eyes.. from Nirvana, Pixies, The Smashing Pumpkins to Radiohead & Kings of Leon.
[/quote]

But what are they an alternative to? Those bands are all pretty mainstream IMO.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403007134' post='2478739']
But what are they an alternative to? Those bands are all pretty mainstream IMO.
[/quote]

They are now, but not so much when I was listening to Nirvana and t'Pixies in the late 80s. I think that they're in the ballpark, eg Alice In Chains were very dark and different to the mainstream rock sound when they started, even though it was still clearly rock music.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1403007654' post='2478746']

They are now, but not so much when I was listening to Nirvana and t'Pixies in the late 80s. I think that they're in the ballpark, eg Alice In Chains were very dark and different to the mainstream rock sound when they started, even though it was still clearly rock music.
[/quote]
^ this. The early 90's "alternative" were an alternative to Motley Crue, Van Halen , Bon Jovi etc that were the big " mainstream" rock bands, and even Maiden and Metallica who were mainstream metal, the new bands were a bit more punky ,and raw sounding, until they then got popular and became the new mainstream!! That's what I remember anyway.....

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1403008215' post='2478756']
^ this. The early 90's "alternative" were an alternative to Motley Crue, Van Halen , Bon Jovi etc that were the big " mainstream" rock bands, and even Maiden and Metallica who were mainstream metal, the new bands were a bit more punky ,and raw sounding, until they then got popular and became the new mainstream!! That's what I remember anyway.....
[/quote]

But they were only alternative for a few months, and by the time the label "alternative" had got established these bands were already starting to become the mainstream.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1403003278' post='2478692']...it's mostly music journalists & marketing chimps trying to define/promote something fundamentally unremarkable & retrospective as the Next Big Thing, and these labels tend to stick.[/quote]

True... I used to be one such journalist! I remember using the term 'folkstep' once as a joke. That's now a recognised genre :blink: I'm still waiting for 'Klezmer-core' to take hold, but give it time, give it time.

On a more serious note, all of these various genres and sub-genres don't just serve the purpose of keeping journalists and PR people happy. They're also an important part of fans' own identity - especially during teenage years, when identity is everything.

I used to like metal as a youngster (still do), but had you asked me at the time I'd have specified it as being 'thrash metal', just to make sure you didn't think I was busy listening to Poison, or whatever.

Rock is a BIG genre, so dividing it up in to little 'realms' helps people identify with it in different ways.

...but that's not to say I know what 'Alternative Rock' really means! I know it's meant to be alternative to mainstream rock, but I think alt-rock has [i]become[/i] mainstream rock, so I have no idea where that leaves us. But I'm no longer a teenage dirtbag, so I don't care :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1403011715' post='2478819']
...but that's not to say I know what 'Alternative Rock' really means! I know it's meant to be alternative to mainstream rock, but I think alt-rock has [i]become[/i] mainstream rock, so I have no idea where that leaves us. But I'm no longer a teenage dirtbag, so I don't care :D
[/quote]
[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1403008215' post='2478756']
[/quote]

Is this perhaps the crux of the problem? The very word "alternative" is a relative term, i.e., the thing you are describing is an alternative to something else. Logically, now that a lot of "alternative" rock is gaining mainstream acceptance, one of two must happen: either somebody comes up with something sufficiently unique or different from the mainstream that they will then take the title of being the "alternative" to normal rock...or, more likely, a much more bog-standard rehash of rock starts to be considered as an "alternative" to the formerly alternative rock that has now become quite mainstream.

Edit to say I meant to include some kind of snarky remark about post-rock being unidentifiable from rock except for the fact it turns up two weeks late a in dented package...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1403011715' post='2478819']

True... I used to be one such journalist! I remember using the term 'folkstep' once as a joke. That's now a recognised genre :blink: I'm still waiting for 'Klezmer-core' to take hold, but give it time, give it time.
[/quote]

Many years ago on the Gretsch guitars forum a couple of us came up with the " Progabilly" genre, largely to annoy the Rockabilly purists on there.
Apparently such a genre now actually exists! Wish I'd copyrighted the name.

I think 'Alternative' or 'Post' this and 'Pre' is all a load of crap and I never take any notice of it.

Again I think its just giving something a lable for the sake of giving something a lable.

Its all rock music as far as I'm concerned if it involves distorted guitars.

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403088490' post='2479572']
I'm sure there must be at least one track that counts as this on a Tunng album...
[/quote]

Probably, i wanted to call it folkstep as a joke, but then it turned out Skol had got there before me, and it had stopped being a joke :o