Why become a member? ×

Coiled instrument leads

Number6

Good people of BC.....please could you let me know your experiences of coiled leads?

Having broken a couple of jack plugs on my normal leads by standing on them, and worried that at some point i'll damage the input jack on the amp i'm thinking of trying the aforementioned leads.

Any thoughts on which is the best or indeed worst?

I have read good n bad about them.

Cheers Paul

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402911487' post='2477699']
Is there a danger of these pinging out of your amp under tension and twonking you in the nuts?
[/quote]

Only if i ever get to play on a stage big enough to put the lead under that much tension lol

I would prefer to have a quality straight cable...which is not typically the stuff you buy in some shops.
So, something like Klotz cable and Neutrik jacks....and then sort out your stage so you aren't tripping over all sort of leads on the floor.
Tape them down...........

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1402917531' post='2477786']
Poke the last bit of the cable through the cab handle to take the stress off the amp's input socket
[/quote]
This. And tuck the other end through your strap. and use a right-angled plug at the bass end.

Poke the last bit of the cable through the cab handle to take the stress off the amp's input socket
[/quote]

That is a good idea. Thank you. :)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402918336' post='2477805']
This. And tuck the other end through your strap. and use a right-angled plug at the bass end.
[/quote]

Yup, I'm on that one. Although it is difficult to do that with my EUB, which has a bit of a flaky input anyway.

Edited by Paul S

I got a Rotosound one off ebay and put a decent right angle plug on one end. got 2 trouble free years of gigging out of it so far. Never had it pull out of an amp yet.
Just stay away from the cheapo ones with moulded plugs. and if you use a pedal, use the send and return sockets, If you plug a coiled lead into a pedal it will keep moving around the stage.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1402925663' post='2477918']
Just make sure that it's coiled the right way - i should go the same way as a screw thread.
- Obviously if you're playing in the southern hemisphere you'll need to use one which is coiled the other way.
[/quote]

Point noted......

I will check using Fleming's right and left hand rules.

:-))

Absolutely hate them, I always insisted on buying them as a kid because that's what Brian May used... They're awful, heavy, more easily tangled and you always feel you're being pulled back towards your amp or pedal board which can only exert more pressure on the jack on the bass which can't do it any good.

Have used them before but can't stand them. Impractical, never have decent connections and at constantly pulling at both ends and to me, they look dated and cheesy (like a phone in a '90s teen show like 'Saved by the Bell' or 'Fresh Prince'...)

It's Planet Waves American Stage Cables or Fender Custom Shop cables for me every time.

How long till one of the 'Snake Oil' manufacturers makes one where the winding changes direction half way ?
Doing that will make them non inductive,
reduce attenuation of frequencies over 10MHz and reduce interference from the international space station...

There are quite a few who would buy them as well

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402914534' post='2477739']
I would prefer to have a quality straight cable...which is not typically the stuff you buy in some shops.
So, something like Klotz cable and Neutrik jacks....and then sort out your stage so you aren't tripping over all sort of leads on the floor.
Tape them down...........
[/quote]

what this good man says...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402914534' post='2477739']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would prefer to have a quality straight cable... [/font][/color]something like Klotz cable and Neutrik jacks...
[/quote]

Yes - that is essentially an obbm cable... I wouldn't use anything else.

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

I used to do that until I wandered too far off-stage once and pulled my whole rig over with everything plugged in. Made an awful noise. Nearly cried.

[/quote]

I used to do that until I wandered too far off-stage once and pulled my whole rig over with everything plugged in. Made an awful noise. Nearly cried.

That's the downside to lightweight cabs!

I've always rolled my own cables - instrument cables, microphone cables and everything in between. You've not had fun until you've tried to cram four cores of 4mm[sup]2[/sup] multicore speaker cable into an NL4 speakon........

But, I digress. I like the look of curly cables. Just not sure I'd ever want to use one. Prefer to use a regular cable cut to the right length for my needs. R/A jacks at each end are helpful too, especially going through a rack. Tried the first generation Neutrik R/A jacks with the mute ring but it kept sticking and never cutting out at the right point, so I invested in a TU-2 pedal tuner to mute the bass signal.