Why become a member? ×

Did I get the gig??

geoham

A couple of weeks ago, I went to an audition for a function band - who are gigging almost every weekend, and need a new bassist starting from August.
The audition was 1 hour - 45 minutes playing and 15 minutes chatting. I was apparently one of six candidates, and the last audition was immediately after mine.
A week later they asked if I could come back in and do a full rehearsal with them, to see how we work together.

I'm not sure what to take from this to be honest. Did they offer it to someone else who said no? (Hence the week long delay)
I'll treat the rehearsal as a second audition, but I'm not sure if anyone else is also doing a rehearsal with them. Would it be common to ask multiple candidates back for a 2nd, longer audition, or do you think it's just a sense check to make sure I am actually the right guy?

I've always formed bands with people I already knew, so this audition thing is all new to me!

Thoughts?

Maybe they just thought there wasn't much between your audition and another candidate and they just want to give it another go to see how it goes in a less pressured, more realistic environment? If another person had said no, surely they would've offered it to you rather than setting up a second audition type situation?

Also, use it as an opportunity to see if the way they rehearse and work on songs is something you're happy with and to make sure it's a band you'd be happy to join. It's as much an opportunity for you to audition them as it for them to judge you :-)

Could be they offered it to someone else, could be that they just wanted to have a good think about it.

Either way, I think its a good thing they've asked you back in. Sounds like they are keen, but want to make absolutely sure you're the right guy. Also means you get another chance to scope them out. Good luck!

As above, go with it and see.
When I auditioned for the Function band I'm in the guy after me was by far the better bassist. In the end they chose me as they thought he was too busy whilst I played the bass line as true to the original as I could. I guess they had to be sure. I've been with them two years and it's been a pretty profitable departure.
If it's a good band and you got along it's always worth going back.
B)

Bloody hell, they take themselves seriously don't they. Just send them a text or email saying 'Have I got the gig?'. If they um and arr then tell them you're not interested (unless you really need the cash).

They sound like they may be numpties.

If you want the position, and are able to play the material, go and do the full rehearsal. Don`t concern yourself over what ifs, concentrate on the actuals, they liked your playing enough to want to hear more. If you apply for a job and get a 2nd interview it`s a positive - look at this the same way.

This is common with tight outfits. Even after the rehearsal don't be surprised if they call you back for a third time for a chat. Think about it though, if you get the job you will be a part of this highly organised group. That can only be a good thing.

I hope it works out.

Sounds like they want to be sure they get the right guy/girl.
I think that's good. And they think you might be it... so well done!
What did YOU think? Did you like them? You get another chance to audition THEM, and again, that's good ;)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1402261957' post='2471530']
This is common with tight outfits. Even after the rehearsal don't be surprised if they call you back for a third time for a chat. Think about it though, if you get the job you will be a part of this highly organised group. That can only be a good thing.
[/quote]

Or they're especially disorganized, and they haven't done anything much since you auditioned.

I got strung along one band for 5 weeks before getting a no.... so dont be a numpty like me and try to close them down as much as you can.

Another band got back to me a week later, said no, then 6 weeks later got in touch letting me they made a terrible mistake and would I still be interested? I thought it was a bit cheeky, but the answer was yes.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1402258456' post='2471478']
Bloody hell, they take themselves seriously don't they. Just send them a text or email saying 'Have I got the gig?'. If they um and arr then tell them you're not interested (unless you really need the cash).

They sound like they may be numpties.
[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more.

They're a functions band who are gigging nearly every week. Of course they're going to take hiring a new bass player seriously.

Go with it.
If they have asked you to the rehearsal, they must be considering you for the gig...
If you want to be a bit forward, ask them if you should bring a diary or check a date.
If they haven't done this then they aren't sure...
Depends if you want to play the open ended game... so you should do the rehearsal and see what comes from it..
if they still can't commit, then they don't really fancy you but you are a back stop for them..??

I am all for thinking things over, but it doesn't take that long to decide whether you are right for them,
but other bass players in the mix with explain the to-ing and fro-ing in their process...???

What other options do you have...??

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1402299709' post='2471712']

I couldn't disagree more.

They're a functions band who are gigging nearly every week. Of course they're going to take hiring a new bass player seriously.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Like you said, if youre applying for a job and they ask you to do a second interview, you don't go 'Erm no! You've kept me waiting too long!'

It's a LOT of work trying to replace a band member and I imagine they're just doing it properly from the off so that they don't have to reaudition after a week when someone decides it's not right or takes up too much time!

Thanks for your suggestions!
I'll go along to the rehearsal on Wednesday and try to pin them down to a decision, or at least a firm timeline.

I already play in a function band, just don't gig enough and it's difficult enough to even arrange a rehearsal. But that's a rant for another thread.....

A week before hearing back doesn't sound like a particularly long time but I suppose we all get on tenterhooks at times like this. FWIW, other possibilities might have been an outright rejection or (as is depressingly common) never hearing another peep from the auditioners.

It's a positive outcome - enjoy your second visit and see how things go. :)

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1402299065' post='2471707']

Another band got back to me a week later, said no, then 6 weeks later got in touch letting me they made a terrible mistake and would I still be interested? I thought it was a bit cheeky, but the answer was yes.
[/quote]
You have to remember that, from the band's point of view, they get to meet the prospective new members for maybe an hour. It's only once you start regular practices and gigs that the true extent of the relationship shows - first impressions can be quite wrong, too!

So went to the rehearsal tonight. It was tough because they gave me a 60 song set list - and no direction about what to focus on!

Anyway, the deal is, that two of us were invited to rehearse with them. I was tonight, and the other guy is next week.

Despite it being a tough rehearsal, I think it went pretty well. They said they knew I was good enough - they just want to see who fits best. A reasonable enough approach I suppose.
Even if they go with the other guy, I'll leave the door open for them in case he doesn't work out.