Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

top of the pops 1979

alembic63

Yep, it does seem like yesterday, and enjoyable times.

I did a summer season theatre show with them back in the 90's (I was in the show backing band).
I got to play that P Bass, and indeed get very drunk with the three of them a few times.
All top, top geezers and very funny.
Also not forgetting that they were great players/Musicians.

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1402218796' post='2470998']
Saw a documentory on them a bit back, really enjoyed it and suprised to find out what an acomplished musical background they had[/quote]

Yes, that was a good programme, and certainly they know what they are doing.
Great stuff.

There`s a thread on here with a vid-clip of someone playing one of Daves basslines. Very complex, and considering he sang - harmonies as well - on many of the songs whilst playing those lines, well shows a great talent in my view. Will have to add a C&D CD to my collection methinks.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402236468' post='2471202']
There`s a thread on here with a vid-clip of someone playing one of Daves basslines. Very complex, and considering he sang - harmonies as well - on many of the songs whilst playing those lines, well shows a great talent in my view. Will have to add a C&D CD to my collection methinks.
[/quote]

Looking at the recent TOTP reruns of Gertcha it doesn't look like he's miming anything like the line that's being played on the backing recording unless my eyes/ears are playing up again. Great player though was Dave.

Very posh...... a Bosendorfer piano! You can imagine the conversation that set that up: Mum picks up the phone"'ere its some bloke says hes from the BBC asking what Joanna you want tonight" *Chas Giggles* thinks : in for a penny in for a pound, " tell 'em i wanna bosendorfer" "righto" says the producer........ #cantbelievemeluck.com

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402222158' post='2471040']
I never liked them at the time but strangely now I do. They kind of sneaked into acceptance via the music of Albert Lee, who played with them in the 60s as Head, Hands & Feet.
[/quote]
Only Chas (on bass) was in Heads, Hands & Feet. They both played with Albert Lee in Black Claw.

Hobbayne'
They were not allowed to sing the apparently highly insulting word "Cowson" according to a documentary on TOTP I saw a while back. Hence the the silence in the bit ..."Gertcha ...... Gertcha!"

MB1.
A Very insulting swear word? ...If you happen to be Victorian.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1402208360' post='2470925']
They were on the line up at knebworth in 79
[/quote]

aah yes along with some other bands like Tod Rungrun, Ronnie Wood and Led Zeppelin :)

me and a girl hitchhiked down from Newcastle 1 week early and had a great time. Unfortunately I couldn't remember Zeppelin because I was totally out of it by then. Luckily when I got I got a free ticket to the 2nd weekend and managed to get back down and see all the bands over again. :)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1402404273' post='2473062']
aah yes along with some other bands like Tod Rungrun, Ronnie Wood and Led Zeppelin :)
[/quote]

I was disappointed that the New Barbarians had lost Stanley clarke as i'd travelled down from Blyth especialy to see him. Was kind of bizarre to see Zep dressed in suits.

I too, was never a fan at the tim, but have since developed a deep respect for them since finding out about their pedigree in the music business. Apparently they are very much respected as musicians by musicians. I just couldn't stand all that cockney avin a larf, knees up muvver brahn type stuff!

Never liked them either,
but it's odd how some songs seem to be deep in your memory somewhere, and as soon as you hear a few notes
..... you find yourself remembering every word - no matter how much you dislike it!

Doesn't really seem like yesterday to me - and I'm the same age
I've been watching these TOTP 70's programmes
Largely, I've enjoyed them, but I often end up feeling they could have selected much better songs IMO

Of course that's just an opinion - and I suppose they're trying to show a whole range of stuff
.... and need to be careful not to include footage with certain presenters
Which must be a task in itself.....