Why become a member? ×

top of the pops 1979

alembic63

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1402410019' post='2473160']
They may have been great musicians but that doesn't make the end results any less irritating. Like Jameson playing My Girl; it don't make it any less a turd. :lol:
[/quote]

This.

Yes they started a while back doing 1976 (think that's where they began the reruns) as I'm not sure they had a continuous archive of whole week by week programmes from earlier than that. Then the Saville/Travis thing really blew up and there were clearly shows that they couldn't repeat any more so the idea of having equivalent 'in time' reruns for each week got sidetracked which is a shame. I record most of them and skip through stuff I'm not too bothered about. Has made me realise going from 76, 77, 78 and now 79 how many acts came on and had only one or two hits and then disappeared, bands keep coming on that I don't remember. Good example was last week's opener 'Match'. Don't recall them at the time at all.

I've been watching since the '76 re runs as well, and really like it.

There's great stuff, as well as the tosh. But it all makes it what it is. I was far too young to see it first time around, so it's quite a treat.

TBH the '79 shows so far aren't as good for me as '77/'78. Maybe as it's the time I start to remember some of what was on....I was only 5, but it was always on in the house, so I suppose it's my first musical memory.

....and you can't top Legs & Co., can you? Tina Charles......maybe!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1402418482' post='2473306']
I've been watching since the '76 re runs as well, and really like it.

There's great stuff, as well as the tosh. But it all makes it what it is. I was far too young to see it first time around, so it's quite a treat.

TBH the '79 shows so far aren't as good for me as '77/'78. Maybe as it's the time I start to remember some of what was on....I was only 5, but it was always on in the house, so I suppose it's my first musical memory.

....and you can't top Legs & Co., can you? Tina Charles......maybe!
[/quote]

Debbie Harry..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxpe1oSp_sg

Debbie Harry is an interesting one in that she'd already been around a fair while by the time Bondie made it big, she was in her mid thirties by the time Heart Of Glass was a hit. David Bowie is actually slightly younger and when you consider how much work he'd got through by by 1979...

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402236468' post='2471202']
There`s a thread on here with a vid-clip of someone playing one of Daves basslines. Very complex, and considering he sang - harmonies as well - on many of the songs whilst playing those lines, well shows a great talent in my view. Will have to add a C&D CD to my collection methinks.
[/quote]

Pretty sure it was Grey Parrot although I can't find the thread on his profile.