Why become a member? ×

Nice and light? Help please!

Moos3h

Hi folks,

I'm recovering from a back injury and need to source a lightweight bass - doesn't need to be SUPER light but anything standard P or J bass would be a little too much and limit my playing time.

So, what cheap basses are light? Trying before I buy not really an option due to limited time able to be spent in the car.

Looking at something like an Ibby SR370?

Cheers,
James

Don't go too light, light in body tends to be light in sound, IMO..you need some sustance to the sound
and actives are only a little way to work around this...
You need something for the strings to react and resonate against...

I'd be putting the money into core excersises as well... as you need to build the back up.
Not saying that you should play with a 11lb-er for 3 sets but up 9 and a bit lbs should be.

Other ways you need to manage this is 1 hr sets and maybe a maximum of 2 hrs ...

Sorry to hear about your back troubles, Moos3h - I underwent lower back surgery a few years ago so you have my very genuine sympathies!

Although I totally understand your desire to steer away from boat anchors henceforth, I would second what JTUK says above - don't think of 9.5 lbs as too heavy! in fact, I would go even further and say that balance is more important than weight. A really light bass may well mean serious neck dive, and having to use your fretting hand to keep the neck pointing upwards for long periods can be worse for your posture, and thus worse for your back, than gigging with a really well balanced 10lb+ bass. And I say this as an owner of a Stingray 5 and a Sandberg California, both of which are over 10lbs - both are beautifully balanced and neither gives me any back pain at all.

But as always, YMMV, and it will certainly be interesting to get the views of other back sufferers on this point.

I have a super light bass for sale, an elrick evo 4...but it's not real cheap... But on the other side it does the jazz and p thing really really wel very versetile and it's just above 3 kg.. I could play it all night long and never have any shoulders pains what so ever.. If I would limit myself to one bass that could also gig it would be this bass.. But then I have a stintray, two p basses and a jazz bass all are heavier but are a bit more rock and roll in visual regards;)

Hi have been persevering with the gruvgear duo strap. Initially i found it difficult to get accustomed to it, but after several weeks of regular use i can really recommend this piece of kit.
My issue was shoulder pain and the duo strap disperses the weight of the bass across both shoulders. My bass weighs 7lb but still caused difficulties when strapped to one shoulder.

Finding a good thick strap to help disepate the weight is also a great move! I've found the Minotaur leather straps to be great for this and are nicely priced and very well made and look good!

As for light basses, as other have said the Squire VM Ps are a nice light weight for a P and don't sacrifice on the sound and tone!

Best of luck finding what you want/ need and hope the back improves well! :D

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1402137184' post='2470315']
Aria Sinsonido, should be able to pick one up for under £200 and you won't find much lighter than that!
[/quote]

+1

I can't play a heavy bass and though my Aria isn't now my main bass, it helped me through the worst.

+1 for Bass Collection. I have 2 of them. Both 5 Stringers and a whisker over 7lbs each of them.
Great basses with quality hardware.
I've got an irreparable back problem and sold all basses over 8lbs.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1402139515' post='2470351']
Thanks folks!

Need to explore some of these options. The VM precision a sound like an interesting option, as I love the look of them. Funny because when I think of precision I tend to think 'boat anchor'!
[/quote]
My other P, a Mexican, is around 9lbs. The VM is so light that this now FEELS like a boat anchor, even though it's not!
:)

PS:Also had major back surgery over the last 5 years, so know exactly where you're coming from!

Edited by Telebass

Should the one you're after not work out then consider Corts as well (they make a lot of basses for other people too). They're great quality and value for money and if the shape doesn't put you off then you might like the new Cort Curbow 42 and 52 models - Dan Veall likes them http://youtu.be/fiU4ZWdOShE

Maybe not the style that your are looking for, but a violin bass is a great lightweight bass and surprisingly versatile...
I also have back problems and built my own pbass using a lightweight body. Much easier to support for a long time but definitely a more lightweight sound, which actually suits some stuff. I generally play Aria Pro CSB and TSB basses, medium scale and lightweight bodies. Work great.

The best solution for me personally was to start electric upright bass. No strain at all on my back and shoulder!