Why become a member? ×

Would You Want Your Own Signature Model?

Norris

I have my own sig. model in effect. I added a second string tree , better ( opinion ) bridge , after market pups , dice knobs and home made beer bottle label pickguard to my blueflower 54P re-ish. Easy with Fender style basses as there's so many after market parts. But if some wise guy marketing type with sh*t in his handshake came to me with some pile of toss expecting me to compromise my equipment choices in exchange for something as unworthy as a load of cash ............. I'd do it in a heart beat !

That's exactly my earlier point. You already have a 'Dr Dave Signature bass'.

Should Mr WiseGuyMarketingType wish to market your sig bass to the wider world then he would certainly have to pass your palm with silver, but there's no reason why you should compromise your gear . . . . otherwise it would no longer be [u]your[/u] sig bass would it?

Most of the other posters here have really only described their 'wish-list' bass, not a true signature model.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401451352' post='2463765']
These days anyone with a spare £2-3k can get the instrument of their dreams made.

The advantage of a "signature" model from a big name is being able to do some serious beta testing on various ideas before settling on the final spec rather than just hoping for the best from a single instrument.
[/quote]

Pretty much my thinking. But as for a signature model to be sold elsewhere..??
I doubt there is much in it... my basses fit me, why should I expect them to fit anyone else..?
Having said that...most people who have picked up my basses have liked them, but I
wouldn't seek out a project that sold/marketed the idea, or certainly not for egotistical
purposes.
But then again, no one has asked me, so I have never had to entertain or get used to the idea :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401450674' post='2463750']
It's pure marketing. No-one would bother if there was no profit to be had.
[/quote]
There are some companies like Alembic that have a policy of not paying endorsees so whilst Stanley Clarke, Mark King, Jimmy Johnson, John Paul Jones etc have alembic signature models they don't get any cash for it. That said, Stanley Clarke was presented with a superb bass for his long standing connection with the company and Mark King was given a couple of their basses some time back I think when Level 42 were taking off in the states.

if they offered to create a signature model that would be great even if I wasn't getting paid as I only use their basses. If another company offered me a signature model and expected me to change to their brand then I'd want paying as compensation hahaha

Jazzyvee

I have a Vintage 'Geoff Whitehorn' strat type guitar. Made in PRC. It has a 'Prize Fighter' bridge pickup. (it's a Bare Knuckles Crawler clone) and you can make it single coil by rolling the bottom tone control off. Wilkinson pickups all round (2 x single coils + the Prize Fighter)
Geoff often plays in pubs locally and I know him well (he even used my range of amps at the London Guitar show, whilst guesting with Phil Hilbourne). He plays his signature guitar a lot. It's standard apart from he's changed the pots and wiring, to make it more robust. I bought mine because I was interested. It's a great guitar. I have better guitars, sure, but they didn't cost £200.

I also have a 'Slash' AFD Gibson. I bought it because it supposed to be a limited edition. It became my main guitar for 4 years. It was just a great Les Paul, I'm not a Slash fanboi but I like his playing.

Would I want my own signature bass, not really. I play a bog standard '75 P bass apart from a Schaller 3D bridge (when I'm not being Sting in the tributes). It may be bog standard (apart from the bridge, I only changed it because the bridge saddle screw were digging into my hand) but it sounds and plays fantastically well.

Not interested. I do not buy the idea that you can buy yourself better and do not consider myself to be even remotely capable of indicating what elements of a bass shoudl be included to improve it. Any imput I had would be entirely cosmetic and, this, serve no purpose. My advice to anyone who wants to sound like me is 'sorry, mate, you can't, even on my bass'.

If there was no financial reward, I would be tempted to take the mickey and specify something as ridiculous as the Nigel Tufnel musicman signature model.

picutured at the top of this web page for those who haven't seen it before
[url="http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/tufnel.htm"]http://www.celebrity...rock/tufnel.htm[/url]

better pic
http://www.gilaguitars.com/guitargallery/New%20Updates%20I%20Love%20Doing%20Websites/MrHP2/3.jpg

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1401719351' post='2466120']
If there was no financial reward, I would be tempted to take the mickey and specify something as ridiculous as the Nigel Tufnel musicman signature model.
[/quote]

You should contact Warwick then. Pretty much every artist signature bass they do is more ridiculous than that!

Edited by BigRedX

Has anyone's signature model ever sold really well....?
I've owned a Geddy Lee fender and it was CIJ , a gem.

Don't really see a lot of other peoples being that popular or am I missin something.

I'd like a sting precision but I don't like the sting thingy at the twelfth fret.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1401738162' post='2466427']
Has anyone's signature model ever sold really well....?
[/quote]

I think the single cutaway Gibson guitar with Les Paul's name on the headstock did quite well sales-wise. :)

Edited by RhysP

I would have a 24 fret Precision bass, built with the same neck profile, pick ups, finish and natural wear and tear as my non-24 four fret 1970s Precision bass. That or a 24 fret Rickenbacker, the walnut, maple neck one.

Why 24 frets? Just in case.

if no pay (as the OP specified) I wouldn't be interested unless there was some cool innovation that I could work with the (product) designer to make happen.
Aesthetically, as a (graphic) designer I'ld be up for it - actually while we're here shout out to ACG who manage to make visually nice shaped basses. :)

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1401706261' post='2465949']
There are some companies like Alembic that have a policy of not paying endorsees so whilst Stanley Clarke, Mark King, Jimmy Johnson, John Paul Jones etc have alembic signature models they don't get any cash for it. That said, Stanley Clarke was presented with a superb bass for his long standing connection with the company and Mark King was given a couple of their basses some time back I think when Level 42 were taking off in the states.

if they offered to create a signature model that would be great even if I wasn't getting paid as I only use their basses. If another company offered me a signature model and expected me to change to their brand then I'd want paying as compensation hahaha

Jazzyvee
[/quote]
I suppose if a company is giving product to a sig model endorsee it's not a thousand miles away from actually paying cash. I suppose too that anyone being in a position to have companies wanting to make a sig model named after them might get their ego stroked somewhat. I would. I think , though , that having your name on a mass market bass represents a business deal - and therefore I'd want to be paid for it , s my name would be being used to sell the bloody thing and make money. I read that there are some footballers from lesser known footballing nations who are signed to big clubs less on merit and more because there's money to be made in flogging club shirts with their names on in their home countries. Seems reasonable ( if that can ever be a word associated with footballers wages) to me that the player concerned should have a slice of the pie. ........................ talking of pies ......... Hungry ? Why not eat at Abdul's Express Fried Chicken and Pizza Universe , 1 , Scratchcard Lane , Wakefield (just behind the needle exchange) - I never go anywhere else for superb service and value - Yes , folks , eat at Abdul's - it's great !

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1401748673' post='2466577']
I would have a 24 fret Precision bass, built with the same neck profile, pick ups, finish and natural wear and tear as my non-24 four fret 1970s Precision bass. That or a 24 fret Rickenbacker, the walnut, maple neck one.

Why 24 frets? Just in case.
[/quote]

I quite like this idea - my Schecter Model T is basically a 22-fret Precision, so why not pop a couple more on the end? I'm sure it wouldn't ruin the look if you cut away the treble side just an inch or two more!

I stipulated no financial reward as that seems to me to be the most obvious reason why there are so many signature models around. By taking out the money we're basically left with either ego (I want everyone to know my name), integrity (sod off, I'm a serious musician here) or altruism (the world needs my vision of the ultimate bass) :D

Some great responses ;)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1401796513' post='2466900']
I stipulated no financial reward as that seems to me to be the most obvious reason why there are so many signature models around. By taking out the money we're basically left with either ego (I want everyone to know my name), integrity (sod off, I'm a serious musician here) or altruism (the world needs my vision of the ultimate bass) :D

Some great responses ;)
[/quote]

Well I definitely wouldn't do it if there was no money involved.... what on earth would be the point in that?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1401744472' post='2466528']
I'd be a dead loss at this.

I used that 'Build Your Own Fender' web app a little while ago.

Chose the body colour, hardware and neck type and clicked the 'OK' button...

...I got the bog standard bass that I already own... :D
[/quote]

I checked this out and wasn't that impressed with it. Lotsa wonga for a pretty ordinary looking bass. It did allow you to pick your neckplate engraving tough. I clicked cancel funny enough.....when I was finished and bored with trying to find a colour combo I hadn't seen before.

Would rather spend $1700 on a new ACG