Why become a member? ×

Band Member Avaliability Calenders

Hobbayne

If nothing else, it shows their priorities.

Of course, people have families and you don't want to get in a fight over that...as the band looses, :lol:
but if someone says they are available, via the calendar, then that is that. Then, if they play the game fairly,
you are more inclined to let the odd glitch go...
We have keys who is run ragged by other things... we can't pressure him as the straw will break the camel
but if he says he will be there as per calendar, we will move all sorts of mountains to keep him happy.
He regards the band as a welcome release, and we'd hate to lose him, so you have to make allowances
but he knows the value of the calendar and it all works.
A committed working band can't be inflexible...you just need people who can be organised...and can play, of course.

If you haven't got access to an online calendar, you need your guy to run his own dairy and you need regular
updates on it and you can't use people who can't do the basics, IMO.

Another Google Calendar user here. Took about a year to get everyone to update it properly. We have one band log and everybody has this synced up with whatever calendar app they use on their phones (half are on Andriod the others iphone). That way I know if I can quote for a gig or need to include costs for a dep etc. Before I confirm the booking and take a deposit etc. I send a text to the band to check they're all ok with it.

As I said this took a while for people to get used to and a lot of 'Use the f*&%$ing calendar d*ckhead' texts and we still get the occassional glitch.

But it works for us.

Google cal here, works perfectly and we have reminders set a month in advance for gigs and rent etc.
We used to have it rigged so an inquiry on the website flagged up on the calendar. Useful
All hols, gigs, members busy,things of interest, go in the calendar, and all can see it on any smart phone.
Our last singer managed to duplicate his calendar and insisted he had posted on ours, but couldn't understand where the posts were.. be careful with calendars and singers..

I use google calendar for all my personal commitments. I wouldn't necessarily want everyone in every band to be able to see all these, but I like that I have all my gigs listen on my phone. Is there a way for me to combine my personal google calendar with a group google calendar?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401368642' post='2462867']
Be careful with [i]anything [/i]and singers. And drummers. ;)
[/quote]

And guitarists. :o

On topic, my band have used the calendar on a shared Google account for several years to great success - once everyone got on-board and started adding their stuff to it, it became a great way to manage time and dates.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1401368632' post='2462866']
I use google calendar for all my personal commitments. I wouldn't necessarily want everyone in every band to be able to see all these, but I like that I have all my gigs listen on my phone. Is there a way for me to combine my personal google calendar with a group google calendar?
[/quote]

Hey Tom

This is possible. Our Keyboard player's calendar is synced up with the band one, I also have a personal one for managing all my other gigs and personal life. All are linked to the same calendar on my phone, it's the only wat I know what I'm doing day to day. On my phone it's in the calendar settings > add an account and continue form there. You can also do this in your browser on the google calendar.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1401451798' post='2463775']
Hey Tom

This is possible. Our Keyboard player's calendar is synced up with the band one, I also have a personal one for managing all my other gigs and personal life. All are linked to the same calendar on my phone, it's the only wat I know what I'm doing day to day. On my phone it's in the calendar settings > add an account and continue form there. You can also do this in your browser on the google calendar.
[/quote]

Nice one, thanks!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1401355012' post='2462667']
I've got an excel spreadsheet shared in Dropbox. Again, it works perfectly if everyone uses it.
[/quote]

+1 to this; but I don't bother even asking the band to fill it in. I just insist they tell me their non-available dates in anyway they like as soon as they know them and then I fill in the spreadsheet. All dates not marked as not available are then fair game for band activities. And everyone has to pay share of studios etc whether they show or not; they soon get used to the system and everything starts to run smooth.
I also use Dropbox to deposit other band resources, such as chord charts, photos, mp3s, set lists, etc

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401357304' post='2462711']

Not everyone has Excel.

1. I don't have any use for spreadsheet software therefore I don't have it

2. It costs money. If someone else wants me to use it then they'll need to buy me a copy.
[/quote]

Libre office and open office are both free, available on all platforms and open excel docs fine.

Recommended :D

Google Calendar here, now just with two bands but it was three at one point. One calendar for each band plus one personal, every time a gig gets booked I put it on my calendar, copy it to the calendar of the band it's for with location details, and copy it again to the other band's calendar with "Not available" on it. I have also managed to get all the other band members to keep it updated, though I'm not entirely sure how.

Well, a central calendar is work so they need to see the value of it.
I find that professional type people who know the values of calendars
and meetings buy into it without any question at all, but since being a playing musician
is all about dates and availability, it isn't a thing that should get any resistance, IMO..

Most people who want to work will positively invite it and the only reason for not
using one would be if that person wasn't able to have a i-net connection...otherwise
I'd wonder about that person's commitment and organisational abilities that we were getting
involved with.

Google calendar worked pretty well for us until we replaced our singer and changed the band name. So then I set up a new google account and new calendar, and nobody uses it. Apparently logging in to a different account is too hard.

Having said it worked well, we were pretty good at filling in unavailable dates, but gigs and practice still got organised by email and text, just in case.

Would somebody be kind enought to talk me through how to sort a google calender for the band ? I already use it for myself and it's great and syncs with my phone.

I've set another calender up and used the bands name, added the members of the band so they can use it. When I go into my settings I can see both calenders, mine and the bands, but can only get to mine. :(

I'm not usually computer thick but I'm obviousley missing a trick here.

Thanks

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1401654756' post='2465620']
Would somebody be kind enought to talk me through how to sort a google calender for the band ? I already use it for myself and it's great and syncs with my phone.

I've set another calender up and used the bands name, added the members of the band so they can use it. When I go into my settings I can see both calenders, mine and the bands, but can only get to mine. :(

I'm not usually computer thick but I'm obviousley missing a trick here.

Thanks

Les
[/quote]

Did you set up the band calendar up on your account, or create a separate Google account for the band, with a new email address?

If it's a shared calendar on your account, there's suggestions on the [url="https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/calendar/can$27t$20see$20shared$20calendar|sort:relevance/calendar/_UNLTDInXr0"]Google help forum[/url], which might help.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1401355711' post='2462677']
another one for google here, we have a band calender that everyone can log on to, works pretty well, we get the occasional cock up but it's a lot better than anything else we've tried
[/quote]
Integrates well with phones too