Why become a member? ×

In praise of the humble Boss TU tuners

Roger2611

I have read a lot on bumph recently about strobe tuners and how the Peterson tuners are 30 times more accurate than other tuners and are even better as they have "sweetened" tuning settings for different instruments.

I came upon a Peterson Stomp tuner for a good price recently so brought it, I thought I would see how much better the Peterson actually was so I tuned my bass with the Boss TU2 then swapped the tuners over set the Peterson to the sweetened bass setting and checked the tuning....guess what......the Boss was 100% bang on in tune.

So a couple of questions:

1 Peterson, where do you get the claim your strobe tuners at 30 times more accurate than normal tuners?

2 What is this sweetening thing?

Big praise to Boss, the TU tuners are hugely popular for a very good reason......anyone want to buy a little used Peterson tuner they are 30 times more accurate than other tuners, so I have heard :ph34r:

I agree, the TU tuners (well I`ve only ever had the TU-2) are great. It also helps everyone in the band using the same tuner. I recently used my clip-on tuner when my back was bad - only took bass, lead n clip-on, left the rest of the set-up at home, and the sound at the rehearsal was a bit strange. Anyway couple of days later plugged into the trusty TU-2 and my tuning was out, though it was in with the clip-on. So a lesson learned there, methinks.

Think the TU-2 I've got is the oldest bit of kit I've got. Basses, amps, cabs, pedals have all come and gone but the TU-2 is still a constant.

Bullet proof and EXCEPTIONAL at what it does for not a lot of dollar.

Funny that this topic comes up just as people are arguing over the merits of £3,000 kettle leads in another topic ...

I've been using the same Boss TU tuner since I started playing in 1991. I've occasionally checked my tuning against other band members tuners, and I've never noticed any appreciable difference in tuning regardless of make or model.

My only gripe with my TU2 is that it can take just a little too long to lock onto the note when I first switch it on; we're talking by maybe 3-4 seconds here, so may sound churlish, but when I really only have a few seconds between songs to adjust my tuning if I think it's slipped, or to go back up to standard from drop-D, it sometimes does cause me a problem.

Other than that, no issues with it at all and I've had it 7 years and used it at every gig in that period.

Any TU3 users have any opinion on how quickly they find the note when you switch it on? I'm assuming it's a processing speed issue, so the newer one should pick up the note quicker.

Edited by Graham

I upgraded from a tu 2 to a 3, no reason really the 2 id had for about 6 years. The tu3 is a bit quicker ( a tiny bit) handles the low a tuning and can supply i think its up to 7 boss pedals?! And its got a brighter led for viewing in direct sunlight.

Our guitarist tho has the mooer copy of the polytune and it works like a charm

I've had a Korg GT-3 tuner since I very first started playing, used it in all situations from recording to live - have I been doing it wrong & playing out of tune all these years?

I have been tempted to upgrade to a nicer one, though for no reason other than to buy myself something nice while I'm waiting for a suitable Jazz to show up.

When I had some gear nicked a while back the TU-2 was the first thing which I replaced - out of the few pedals I had it's been the constant. repaced with a TU-3 from ebay for £26 plus postage which the guy was asking £15 - i told him I could drive to his place for less than £15 so he did it for a 5'er. Best bargain ever!