Why become a member? ×

Do I want a stingray?

Pinball

In the past 18 months I have been experimenting with gear and have gradually been moving towards a darker, deeper sound. I'm very happy with the guitars I have but since getting a Warwick FNA, with its big hum humbucker I have started to look at MM and EB basses in a new light. I could probably get enough money together to get a cheaper Stingray or something. What about a Ray35?

I have no experience of playing them whatsoever. What am I missing and is it a good option for me? Someone sort me out my GAS........

Note: I play 5 strings and don't want anything too heavy...does that rule them out?

Edited by Pinball

Go play a few in shops in your area, or see if any local BCers can accommodate. A heavy bass may have great ergonomics and not be a burden, and sound is so subjective.
I love my SR5 more for the kick in the chest than the punch in the gut.

I love the playability and the sounds of a Stingray, but unfortunately for me I only like those sounds when someone else is making them, they just don`t sound "me". But really great basses, and far more versatile than given credit for. Most think of Flea type sounds, whereas there is always Bernard Edwards to consider.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1399015831' post='2439897']
I love the playability and the sounds of a Stingray, but unfortunately for me I only like those sounds when someone else is making them, they just don`t sound "me". But really great basses, and far more versatile than given credit for. Most think of Flea type sounds, whereas there is always Bernard Edwards to consider.
[/quote]

Agree. I always fancied a Stingray, and a few years ago I got one. Played it with my band but the sound didnt suit it. I gave it a few more outings before I moved it on and went back to my trusty Fender Precision.

Yes you do, I bought my first one about 10 years too late! There's bands that I was in where it would have been the perfect bass.
I think they are a bass you have to see if you click with, my experience is always the polar opposite to what Lozz mentions, he can clearly make a P bass work for him (lucky man) whereas I have tried for a long time and failed!
Maybe try out a USA EBMM sub 5? They're a bargain.
Martin

Edited by The fasting showman

The Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray5 would also be worth getting a demo on.... I've got 4 string versions of the EBMM and SbMM SUB's, and while the EBMM is definitely a better built bit of kit, the SbMM is floaty light in comparison, and plays like a dream once set up properly. Soundwise - I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test - that may say more about my ears than anything else though! :D

Thanks everyone, all constructive replies with lots of info

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1399015831' post='2439897']
[/quote]

I'll have a listen to some of those guys

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1399015956' post='2439900']
I would stick with the Warwick. Why would you want a Stingray ... Is it an image/ aesthetic thing?
[/quote]

Good point, It's my go to bass at home when I play it on my lap, I prefer the Ibanez while standing. I wasn't expecting to like the FNA as much as I do...maybe a bit of an image thing wish it was dark wood or black.
A 3nd reason is that changing is me playing and writing stuff. I really enjoy getting to know a new bit of kit. The Warwick is isn't going anywhere fast though.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1399021621' post='2439998']
take a look at a EBMM sterling before you decide, or rather listen to one.
[/quote]

Thanks I will do

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1399024486' post='2440047']
Stingray sound crap when I practicing or jamming at home. When it comes to gig time it is a swiss knife.
[/quote]
[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1399025066' post='2440054']

Yes I totally relate to that. I find trying something in a shop tricky. I'm always drawn to a Jazz sound, then get the thing home and spend my time fiddling around trying to get other sounds when playing in a band context. My Ibanez, FNA and Farida work for me. before that I struggled various jazzers...Note to self: should have tried a P bass maybe.

The Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray5 would also be worth getting a demo on.... I've got 4 string versions of the EBMM and SbMM SUB's, and while the EBMM is definitely a better built bit of kit, the SbMM is floaty light in comparison, and plays like a dream once set up properly. Soundwise - I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test - that may say more about my ears than anything else though! :D
[/quote]

Thanks, will search one out

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1399027222' post='2440091']

Point taken, I know what I mean...powerful I guess :)
[/quote]

You might be better served with an EQ/Preamp pedal such as a Sansamp which would cost you a tenth of what a Stingray would :)

Edited by theyellowcar

Bass full up
Treble as a slap switch, i.e. mid way unless slap is need when it goes to 10. (I know, but sometimes get to do 'Some Other Guy')
Mid as a subtle volume control. Around halfway, if I'm being lost in the mix up it goes and there I am, without just getting louder

Any more knobs and I'm lost.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1399027765' post='2440099']

You might be better served with an EQ/Preamp pedal such as a Sansamp which would cost you a tenth of what a Stingray would :)
[/quote]
That's not going to help you sound Stingray-ish. Personally I Love the Ray, hate the ampeggy scoop and it's derivatives.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1399045682' post='2440450']

That's not going to help you sound Stingray-ish. Personally I Love the Ray, hate the ampeggy scoop and it's derivatives.
[/quote]

Sansamp might have been a bad example, but I can quite easily tweak my Precision to sound close to a Ray by using my BDI21. Just a thought.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1399048832' post='2440500']
Sansamp might have been a bad example, but I can quite easily tweak my Precision to sound close to a Ray by using my BDI21. Just a thought.
[/quote]
I've been there. I used a Hartke Bass Attack for a while. It's probably my favourite stand alone pedal and helped but isn't a substitute in my humble opinion

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1399050209' post='2440520']

I've been there. I used a Hartke Bass Attack for a while. It's probably my favourite stand alone pedal and helped but isn't a substitute in my humble opinion
[/quote]

Fair play. Get down to your local shop and start trying Stingrays then :D

The stingray 5 is a majestic powerhouse of a bass and is one of my favourites. I don't own one because I don't need what it does currently but other than feeling slightly heavier than most I've played IMO it is one bass I will be acquiring once I have a spare few hundred quid.

Indulge yourself.