Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1975 Hayman 4040

discreet

I once played in a band with a guy who had a Hayman bass (sorry, but I was the guitarist). It sounded awesome - a sort of Chris Squire Ric character. You don't want to know what mods he'd done to it though...

I always thought it odd that the body shape of the Wal was similar to the Hayman/Shergold basses. I wasn't sure which came first but now I know, thanks.

Edited by muttley

I love a good bass renovation story, and this is one of those.

I hope you get a lot of fun playing this bass, Mark, and you certainly won't see many others like it round town, that's for sure. That is a slice of British 1970's retro of the first order. I was just thinking how modern it must have looked in 1972.

Given the current popular interest amongst musicians in more offbeat vintage instruments like this one , this bass means you are now officially "trendy" , and I hope you are prepared to deal with that. Don't be surprised if you now get teenage girls approaching you after gigs and asking if you are Peter Hook. Don't say yes, but don't say no. That way they will have less incriminating evidence against you when the case comes to court.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395950737' post='2408379']
That's one of my 'smoking and drinking conservatory' sofas.
It's usually got a protective blanket over it...
[/quote]

Very sensible. If it was mine it would be shamefully stained in no time.

On another note, you can really see how these basses were the genesis of what became the early series of Wal basses, in terms of the shape , styling and the ( for the time) ambitious electronics. A very interesting period piece in that respect.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395953248' post='2408405']
...you can really see how these basses were the genesis of what became the early series of Wal basses, in terms of the shape, styling and the (for the time) ambitious electronics. A very interesting period piece in that respect.
[/quote]

Yes, and that shape was carried over to the subsequent Shergold range of basses, too. In fact some of the later Hayman necks were used for the earlier Shergolds, they share the same headstock shape and still have the 'H' logo hole, albeit concealed by the black and gold plastic Shergold shield-shaped logo plate.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1395927370' post='2408033']
This brings back all those memories of Wardour St, Tottenham Court Rd an' all.
[/quote]

I put a 40/40 together from parts that I bought from the Fender Soundhouse on Tottenham Court Road after Hayman had gone bust and there had been a fire there. I eventually PXed it for a Fender P, which in hindsight I'm not sure was a good thing.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1395957713' post='2408482']
I put a 40/40 together from parts that I bought from the Fender Soundhouse on Tottenham Court Road after Hayman had gone bust and there had been a fire there. I eventually PXed it for a Fender P, which in hindsight I'm not sure was a good thing.
[/quote]

That's interesting! Do you have any pics of it?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1395957713' post='2408482']
[/quote]

Interesting, that was the fire that took my first Fender - a Telecaster bass !
it was in for repair, I'd only had it a month too!
couldn't get a repalcement it was a lefty.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1395927370' post='2408033']
I'll not be the only one to ask for sound files, surely..?
[/quote]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396026102' post='2409217']
Given that I have never heard one, I would be very interested to hear some description of what this bass sounds like.
[/quote]

I'm busy over the weekend but I'll try to get something up on SoundCloud early in the week. :)

That really is a design classic isn't it, referencing other basses (Wal, Musicmaster/Mustang), as well as early 70's HiFi and 50s Sci Fi. Great restoration (Bass Doc is, let's face it, The Man), and I bet a great player - the necks are outstanding on these, and anything that's a cross between a Ric and Precision gets my vote for sure.

Enjoy it mate

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1396030693' post='2409287']
That really is a design classic isn't it, referencing other basses (Wal, Musicmaster/Mustang), as well as early 70's HiFi and 50s Sci Fi. Great restoration (Bass Doc is, let's face it, The Man), and I bet a great player - the necks are outstanding on these, and anything that's a cross between a Ric and Precision gets my vote for sure.

[/quote]

I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Now excuse me while I recover my living room walls with pine and add some fur rugs (fake of course, I am vegetarian after all) to the lounge floor......ah, the seventies. Adidas Dragon, flared jeans, prog rock & Starsky and Hutch...does it get any better? Not in my world. ;) :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396026102' post='2409217']
Given that I have never heard one, I would be very interested to hear some description of what this bass sounds like.
[/quote]

Your wish etc. etc.

Here's the excellent John "Rhino" Edwards with the Judie Tzuke band back in the day playing one of his 4040s.

I hope this thread isn't sparking huge interest in these - I've been trying to pick up a bargain one for several years now!! :)

Cheers

Ed

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYKkOkJ4QM[/media]

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1396089662' post='2409798']
Here's the excellent John "Rhino" Edwards with the Judie Tzuke band back in the day playing one of his 4040s.
[/quote]

Thanks for this! From about 3:20 to the end (when he's going for it) and despite the fact it's not a full-range recording, you do get a fairly good idea of the essential sound of a 4040. [size=4]Very audible, with a lot of thorb. Yes, I said 'thorb'.[/size]
[size=4]I think this one might just be a fretless, too.[/size]

[size=4][quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1396089662' post='2409798'][/size]I hope this thread isn't sparking huge interest in these - I've been trying to pick up a bargain one for several years now!!
[/quote]

I can't help but feel the bargain window might be closing... get in, quick! :)

Edited by discreet