Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1975 Hayman 4040

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396532754' post='2414751']
I thank you sir, I do like it a lot. I also like my newly-acquired GK MB500 Fusion and 1212L cab, too. But I am well aware that one man's great tone is another man's 'So what?', so I'm pretty sure there must be a number of members wondering what the fuss is about. But you're quite right, of course. :D
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of GK amps too, as it happens, and I'm delighted to hear you are enjoying your new setup, which effortlessly blend modern technology with offbeat retro chic. Sometimes I would like to do the same thing myself , but if I try and do retro chic it just ends up looking like I've been to jumble sale in aid of SANE.

At the moment I am actually looking at one of my basses that I never seem to play and trying to decide whether to sell it or do the unthinkable and put flats on it in a last- ditch attempt to be edgy and trendy. Maybe[i] I [/i]could have some vintage throb ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1396471084' post='2414149']
Would like to hear something a bit more driving and with a pick.
[/quote]

Just for you, Sean... a short clip of UFO's 'Rock Bottom'. Fnarr. With a pick.

[url="http://markjaysmith.co.uk/audio/rock%20bottom%20clip%20256kb.mp3"]Track with Bass[/url]

[url="http://markjaysmith.co.uk/audio/rock%20bottom%20clip%20bass%20only%20256kb.mp3"]Bass Only[/url] (in @ 12s)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396619295' post='2415749']
Just for you, Sean... a short clip of UFO's 'Rock Bottom'. Fnarr. With a pick.

[url="http://markjaysmith.co.uk/audio/rock%20bottom%20clip%20256kb.mp3"]Track with Bass[/url]

[url="http://markjaysmith.co.uk/audio/rock%20bottom%20clip%20bass%20only%20256kb.mp3"]Bass Only[/url] (in @ 12s)
[/quote]

Ha Ha! ... Bottom

• 3 months later...

[b]UPDATE: STRING TREES[/b]

It had bothered me for some time that I couldn't source proper string trees for this bass; they are unique and very hard to get hold of - but they ensure the A and D strings run over the nut and the zero fret nice and straight. I had a couple of strap buttons there as replacements, but they just didn't work properly and of course didn't look the part:

The originals look like the following, and are as rare as rocking-horse poo:

So our own Ash very kindly put me in touch with Waldemar of this parish, who with great skill manufactured two string trees to my guestimated dimensions, and I'm happy to say they turned out a treat...

Slightly flatter and less domed on top that the originals, and a little bigger (my fault, of course) but they do the job admirably and really look the part. Very pleased!

Wal sent me this 3D sketch model for appraisal:

Here's Waldemar's blog entry describing how he did it:
[url="http://wrbl.tumblr.com/post/89807271465/a-couple-of-weeks-ago-i-was-asked-whether-i-could"]http://wrbl.tumblr.c...whether-i-could[/url]

And here's Waldemar's video of the manufacturing process to satisfy your inner geek... ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VJ1W-OMfU[/media]

Many thanks to Ash for putting me in touch with Waldemar, and special thanks to Waldemar for doing such a comprehensive job! Thanks very much guys! This is such a great forum, isn't it? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1404724717' post='2494976']
Excellent job there really look the part - maybe worth informing the Shergold forum about these replacements?
[/quote]

Done and done! :)

Edit: Hmm, looking at the originals they seem to be a little closer together than mine. Yet I've used the original screw holes... as these basses were handmade and not mass-produced, I'm guessing each was slightly different. I'll think about it. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405416469' post='2501649'] Wow! Great hair. ;) AND it looks like you've got the perspex ashtrays, too! Do you still own this bass? [/quote]
Unfortunately not, i sold it to buy a 75 Jazz, which turned out to be dog....but i was desperate for a Fender at the time. The Jazz went and was replaced by a P that i have just recently sold...had it for 38 years!. The hair is also gone and what's left is grey...lol

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1405418925' post='2501683']
Unfortunately not, I sold it to buy a 75 Jazz, which turned out to be dog...
The hair is also gone and what's left is grey...lol
[/quote]

A great shame on both counts. ;) It's true - we don't know what we've got til it's gone.

Edited by discreet

• 1 month later...

The excellent Waldemar made some slightly smaller trees as per the originals... my crap measuring made his first attempt too big and it's been bugging him. :D
Also a pic of the replacement serial number plate that had gone missing in action - the serial number itself was stamped on the neck heel, so we know what it was at least.
Now the restoration is complete and I couldn't be happier, probably. Well done to Wal, who is a true gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat, or something. Hooray! :D

Edited by discreet

No probs Mark,

Thanks again for letting me have a go at these for you. Really enjoyed making 'em..! These revised smaller trees look much better than the earlier effort which, like you say, were a bit on the large side. Having a curvature across the top surface also keeps 'em more in line with the originals.

All the best!

Wal.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1408126231' post='2527467']
The new ones look ten times better! :) Serial # plate looking good. All round splendid job. Happy happy joy joy.
[/quote]

Thank you, sir... the serial # plate doubles as a cover for the truss rod adjuster, which is a wheel-with-holes-in affair - similar to the Stingray arrangement, as far as I know. :)

[quote name='waldemar' timestamp='1408126719' post='2527480']
All the best! Wal.
[/quote]

Very nice job Wal, thanks once again. The bass is now complete. The trees could even be moved closer together so the strings arrive even straighter across the nut/zero fret, but I'll get someone else to do that! And maybe get them to refin the headstock with a nice new coat of lacquer. Maybe... :)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1408126769' post='2527481']
Nice!!!! :)
[/quote]

Thanks!!!! :D (And thanks for selling me the project in the first place). :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408126565' post='2527475']
Any video soon..? ;)
[/quote]

Video..? You wouldn't want to spoil the entire thread by seeing me play this bass, would you? I can't compete with it visually... :D

Just been playing the Hayman again today... God, it's so powerful and has sustain until next weeeeeeeeeek! They really don't make 'em like this anymore!

Edited by discreet