Why become a member? ×

One year of playing review. Thinking if giving up!

Twincam

Long post alert! And need to say this.
Well I've been learning to play for a year now. And I at first really enjoyed it and up until Xmas I practiced a lot. I love bass from many points of view. However recently and despite buying a new bass too, I've suffered from bass playing melancholy I love looking at the bass but am not In anyway enjoying playing or practicing. I've lately made a few short little bass tunes which is cool I guess and have felt more comfortable playing and made little advances in playing too. Interestingly I've also been not interested in music as I once was.

In part I blame this on not being able to give enough dedication, as it's very much a side hobby and I think I would need professional help/lessons to correct my bad technique.

I'm competitive and if I don't feel like I'm going to be a certain standard in something then I guess I sack it off. And my expectations in playing are not that high.

I don't want to give up. But frankly I don't want to waste my time if I just feel frustrated. I'm also extremely skint (again) and what little cash I would raise would come in handy.

I know someone who plays guitar they have for 30 years they spend a lot of time and money on it and frankly he is still rubbish. I don't want to be that guy

No substitute for hours put in..... especially if the bass doesn't come
naturally.
Only you can decide what time you can or are prepared to put in.
Nothing is for nothing is this situation....
You could look for inspiration but if you need that at this point..as opposed to
being a lttle jaded after 30 yrs, then maybe the bass isn't for you...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395249618' post='2400233']
Whether you are rubbish or not is largely irrelevant - IF you are enjoying yourself. :) [size=4]Are you in a band? I found early on that joining a band really pushes you and makes you a better player much more quickly [/size]
[/quote]

BOOM! Exactly what I was going to write

Edited by Roland Rock

I used to jam with friends. But that's not happened for a long time. I've looked for others to play with in the local area and there's pretty much no one around who fancies it.

I feel a bit trapped like in a relationship you think if I walk away I will regret it and maybe it will get better. But I might be better off on my own or moving on to something else.

It's worth sticking with it if you found any joy when playing. Bands/open mic things are good & help you engage but if no-one will play with you even playing along to the radio can be fun.

Then again, if you're not enjoying it it could be worth investing the time & money into something else like a sport or something. There's definitely a healthy balance to be found somewhere...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1395250329' post='2400248']
I used to jam with friends. But that's not happened for a long time. I've looked for others to play with in the local area and there's pretty much no one around who fancies it.
[/quote]

There are loads of websites dedicated to finding band members and for bands looking for bass players in all areas of the UK! You don't have to be a virtuoso player to join a band - it's a question of finding people who are at the same level as you, or better still, who have progressed a little more than you have - then you will tend to play up to their level. It can be very liberating. :)

Edited by discreet

The wall - I guess we all hit it sometimes, perhaps to be honest I'm there right now. Tried to learn some songs that were beyond me, spent 20 hours on one and still could not get the fill/solo section into my head.

After playing nothing but rock for the last few years I've just bought the Hal Leonard Blues Bass book and I'm going to drift into that and try to learn more roots blues bass, fills, endings etc so I can improv a bit more. A change is a good as a rest as they say.

Where up north are you? I'm off to an open mic at the Forum in in Darlington tonight. I found my last band that way, actually got up and did a bass solo in the interval, nothing fancy, then got talking at at the bar afterwards.

Cheers,
Rich

I've met more friends through taking up with the 4 stringed beast, than ever I did before (even some guitarists)

My 2p - get to a few jam nights as a spectator. See which ones play stuff you like, and what are the perennial favourites. Learn the root notes so you can thud along, save attempts at anything fancy for the bedroom at the moment. You'll soon gain in confidence, and IMHO there is nothing like that round of applause at the end, to buck you up. Then try root and 5th, or root and octave. Simple confidence building stuff.

YouTube is your friend :-)

Good luck

I find myself in exactly the same position with table tennis at the moment, I am hugely frustrated because I am fiercely competitive and am not as good as I think I should be....I want to give up but I don't want to admit defeat...so I guess it is small steps....I played last night and got beat heavily again but.....I know I played better than last week.

I guess what I am trying to say is, give up if you really want to but if it is frustration because you are not as far along as you think you should be that is getting you down just keep playing, go back to what you can't do now in a couple of months and see if you have moved closer to it...it's looking for those little steps and they will come with practice

I went through something similar when I was a teenager. I couldn't be bothered making time to practice and none of the people I played with were particularly supportive. I saw lessons as an expensive pain in the @r$e. I talked to the guy giving me lessons and he was cool. Basically told me to take the pressure off myself and stop lessons for a bit and keep bass on a stand so I could pick it up when I felt like but under no circumstances flog my gear. I did this and didn't play for a few months. One day I was kicking around my room with music on and a RATM song came on that I loved. As my bass was right there I just picked it up and started playing along. For a few months I just enjoyed chugging along working out bits and pieces and playing root notes etc. Eventually I got a chance to play with a friends band for a few parties and that was enough to kickstart my enthusiasm again. I got back into practicing and lessons. I now play with various bands some of which earn me some handy cash. I guess I learnt that a break is good but keep your gear around so it's ready when you are.
BTW if you're competitive you're almost certainly being hard on yourself and others are likely to see you as being better than you think you are so keep looking for people to play with.
All the very best of luck.

If you can't afford personal tuition then have a look at Scott Devine's website - loads of free material and good advice http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/

I'm also wondering how well your basses are set up, are you confident in getting them right for your needs? An instrument coming straight from a store or even from a previous owner won't necessarily be right for you - slight changes to neck relief and action can make a marked difference to playability. If you don't know how to set your bass up then consider asking for help from here (there may be someone just a few miles from you willing to help).

I'd say don't go overboard on practice, I think an hour a day is fine and you might surprise yourself how after trying something a few times you just 'get it' and it becomes completely natural for you.

Good luck!

I've only been playing Bass again for about 5 months after playing in my teens a bit and I'm loving it, I probably play/practice/learn about 2 or 3 hours a day (sometimes more!), I try to structure my playing session with a certain amount of time on scales arpeggio's, an hour or so learning songs via YouTube and probably an hour just noodling on the bass and writing down on post-it notes ant little bass riffs/runs I make up.

Anyway my advice is stick at it and try not to put pressure on yourself, a short break from playing might help as others have suggested and you might also see if you do miss playing bass or not.

Good luck :)

John

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395249797' post='2400239']
You could look for inspiration but if you need that at this point..as opposed to
being a lttle jaded after 30 yrs, then maybe the bass isn't for you...
[/quote]

My thoughts as well.

You don't HAVE to play bass and you don't HAVE to be really good after one year. The only rules are the ones you impose on yourself. If you're not happy playing bass - for whatever reason - then just stop playing and find something else to do. It's a big wide world out there and it could be argued that dedicating your entire life to playing a single instrument is a hell of a waste. I've never really understood asking for advice about how to enjoy something you don't actually enjoy. Why bother?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1395250329' post='2400248']
I feel a bit trapped like in a relationship you think if I walk away I will regret it and maybe it will get better. But I might be better off on my own or moving on to something else.
[/quote]
I think you should give it up.

If it's for you you will come back to it ....

My thoughts/questions on this are:

Can you play the music you like/listen to?
Do you want to be able to play all sorts of music that is far harder than anything you listen to?

If you can play what you like and seem to not be getting any better, does it really matter? There`s all sorts I probably can`t play, but that`s down to not knowing the style/genre. I maybe couldn`t pay it even if I did want to, but so long as I can play what I like, then that`s what keeps me interested in the instrument.

Not being a virtuoso isn`t failure, it`s simply not being a virtuoso - many gigging & recording musicians aren`t, yet they still keep going, usually because they love the instrument. Without that love, well I think it would be a long hard slog.

Ok little more info
I have a bit of a OCD thing going on where things have to be perfect all my basses I've ever had normally end up set up the same so you can play them hard without any fret buzz if I hear fret buzz that's it can't play. I recently posted about learning to love fret buzz and set my bass up with a Low action it was easier to play but in the end unless I had my amp up pretty loud I couldn't stand to actually hear the bass buzz so I get frustrated when I can't get a clean tone. Unfortunately my technique is very bad in both hands I'm very very heavy handed.

Another unfortunate thing is I have a bit of attention deficit disorder. I get easily distracted and find practicing very draining seriously draining, I've been fairly into my fitness for years and bass playing drains me more than anything else if I learn a song at the end my brain, body and left hand are fried.

I will say this I'm happy to say I can almost tune a bass by ear, make my own simple little tunes up, learn simple songs by ear.

If I give up I will regret it. So I'm not going to. In fact in a reversal if thinking I might raise some money to buy a mim jazz bass. I play a mustang bass currently and it's awesome but I've noticed shortscales have a few quirks.