Why become a member? ×

One year of playing review. Thinking if giving up!

Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1395249364' post='2400224']
I'm competitive and if I don't feel like I'm going to be a certain standard in something then I guess I sack it off. And my expectations in playing are not that high.

I know someone who plays guitar they have for 30 years they spend a lot of time and money on it and frankly he is still rubbish. I don't want to be that guy
[/quote]

As someone who has played for years without lessons, and to be fair with breaks, I can say I along with the guy you reference have no choice, it's something I am compelled to do, if you give up its because its not you deep down.

Having said that if you get into playing with others, it may light a spark , give it a try first

Edited by lojo

I know someone who plays guitar they have for 30 years they spend a lot of time and money on it and frankly he is still rubbish. I don't want to be that guy
[/quote]

He might be rubbish but does it matter? He has the time, he has the money and presumably he is enjoying.

I've been playing since 1973 and as I've said on here before my enthusiasm is still greater than my talent and that's hopefully how it will continue to be.

I'm by no means a virtuso player and my technical knowledge is limited but that has not stopped me from being a popular choice within the local music scene.
Actually I suspect that's the very reason that I have stayed reasonably busy on the band front,

Hopefully that does not sound big headed, it's really not meant to be, I was just trying to illustrate the point that it's not necessary to be able to replicate the bass lines of Jaco (for example) to be able to get on and play and enjoy playing.

We are all different of course, it's just a case of finding that elusive happiness :)

I sympathise Twincam. Ultimately, you pays yer maney and takes yer choice. Can't see the point in making yourself play if you don't want to. I think that in a lot of cases G.A.S. is just a way of trying to rekindle fading enthusiasm. I HATE practising, but I LOVE playing with others, unfortunately without the practise I am never going to excel. I guess it comes down to the old adage of reaping what you sow.

You seem as if you are keen to get better, because otherwise, i dont think youd be starting this topic, you would of just given up.
"Without struggle, there is no progress" . Dont know who said that, but its something i was told when i was younger, and its always stuck in my head.
If you want to be good at something, you've gotta be prepared to put the work in, and struggle through the times where it may seem you arent getting anywhere.
Just keep going, and im sure you'll look back to where your playing used to be and realise, that yeh, you have come a long way after all.
Good luck

I think there's some truth to the sentiment aired here regarding needing to put effort in - when things comes easily to us we probably appreciate the result less than when time and energy have been expended in order to make something happen (because then we derive pleasure and a sense of achievement from the outcome). If mastering a skill were easy then everybody would be doing it and clearly that's not the case.

Regarding getting a new instrument to rekindle enthusiam; I concur this will probably work. I believe you don't necessarily need an expensive instrument to get something worthwhile - I'll say it again - the new Squiers (Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe and the Deluxe Actives) are decent basses and great value for money. What you save in buying a Squier might be used to buy a couple of effects pedals (compressor, chorus, valve simulator) which enhance the sounds you're making.

PS: A bass line doesn't have to be complicated or busy to be effective. More notes are not always better. Try listening to the likes of Kim Deal (Pixies) and Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)...

http://youtu.be/mQZ5Qbna0fk

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1395303839' post='2400787']
He might be rubbish but does it matter? He has the time, he has the money and presumably he is enjoying.

I've been playing since 1973 and as I've said on here before my enthusiasm is still greater than my talent and that's hopefully how it will continue to be.

I'm by no means a virtuso player and my technical knowledge is limited but that has not stopped me from being a popular choice within the local music scene.
Actually I suspect that's the very reason that I have stayed reasonably busy on the band front,

Hopefully that does not sound big headed, it's really not meant to be, I was just trying to illustrate the point that it's not necessary to be able to replicate the bass lines of Jaco (for example) to be able to get on and play and enjoy playing.

We are all different of course, it's just a case of finding that elusive happiness :)
[/quote]

Great post!

Maybe it is worth noting that even with regular daily practice, improvement doesn't happen in a linear fashion;

You start to work on something new that you suck at, initial improvement is quite noticeable and you feel as though you are making progress.

After working on that for a while, your execution will still be improving, but so will your ability to spot imperfections - this can feel like hitting a brick wall and as though you are making little/no progress or going backwards.

Rather than dispairing, or boring yourself to the point that your brain switches off, the best solution IMHO is to change up what you are doing and work on something else for a while. And remember to have fun as well, if you can't arrange a jam then play along with some of your favourite bands on the stereo.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1395249364' post='2400224']However recently and despite buying a new bass too, I've suffered from bass playing melancholy I love looking at the bass but am not In anyway enjoying playing or practicing. I've lately made a few short little bass tunes which is cool I guess and have felt more comfortable playing and made little advances in playing too. Interestingly I've also been not interested in music as I once was...

I don't want to give up. But frankly I don't want to waste my time if I just feel frustrated. I'm also extremely skint (again) and what little cash I would raise would come in handy.

I know someone who plays guitar they have for 30 years they spend a lot of time and money on it and frankly he is still rubbish. I don't want to be that guy.[/quote]

It sounds to me as though you've bought a bass with your eyes & heart rather than your fingers and head (believe me, anyone who plays guitar/bass will have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt etc.), I assume that your old bass was chopped in for the new one?

You don't say what bass you bought, or what your old bass was, but it could be that you'd got used to how your old one felt & played, and maybe the new one doesn't feel the same or is missing that certain "something" we all look for in an instrument, the "mojo" that makes you want to pick it up and play regardless. As I'm sure you're aware from perusing this site, not all basses are created equal, and even same brand models can be quite different too, having many different variations on a theme.

To share a recent experience, I bought a mid-price Fender Jazz Bass to replace an expensive US made brand bass (that shall remain nameless on these pages!), and even though I've owned & played various Jazz basses, I really didn't get on with this one. It was played a few times, but then spent most of it's time back in the case. I ended up selling it and buying something similar to the expensive US made brand bass (that shall remain nameless on these pages!). This one feels much better than the Jazz did, and I certainly want to play it more often, even if it is just picking it up for 5 minutes here & there.

The moral of the story is to stick with it, and welcome to GAS. :lol:

I think competetiveness can be a mixed blessing. On the one hand it can drive you to achieve great things. On the other hand it can lead you to give up on things that you could have been 'just OK' at, but maybe got a lot of fun out of.

If you only have limited time (like a lot of us do!) you may want to rationalise what is worth plugging away at and what isn't.
For me it would be 'it would take me the rest of my life to learn to play with a pick so I'm not going to do that' but 'I might be able to learn a bit of slap in the next year or so, so I might give that a go'.

I hope you stick with it if you can get some joy out of it. But if other things are more pressing you might want to give it a rest for a bit.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395249618' post='2400233']
[size=4]Are you in a band? I found early on that joining a band really pushes you and makes you a better player much more quickly than any amount of tuition will - and is very inspiring too.[/size]
[/quote]

Indeed.

And patience is necessary... I often feel I haven't learnt anything and thoroughly suck and get a bit depressed about it... Then I look back at where I was a year or two before, and I can see the progress. Sometimes it's just hard to see it on a day to day basis.

Joining bands did wonders to me and my confidence. And my enjoyment.
The first two years I only played at home. I did not progress that much. Then I joined my first band... and the pressure helped a lot. Find the best band that will have you, and I bet your outlook will change. :)

I agree that joining a band could be the way forward!

I joined a band after 2 months of playing.... I was crap, but then so was the band I joined ;)

What it did do early on was introduce me to my role, the joy of locking in with a drummer, bridging rhythm and melody.

I found I progressed much quicker by playing with like minded people.

I quickly outgrew that first band.

I'm a distinctly average bassist today, but I do make a good band member and that is where I get my bliss (and major stresses :lol: ) as a bassist.

I know I'll never be able to play slap like Mark King, fast inventive runs like Jaco or fretless tone like Pino.... But I can serve a song and have fun, so it's all good :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395345466' post='2401460']

I don't think you're an average anything, Debs. :)
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing! :-)

But other than that, I agree with Deb's post. Especially the bit about joining a crap band as a starting point. Exactly what I did :D

Well just to let you know I've given myself a shake and spent a few hours playing. I made a little tune that I actually really like. And I've discovered I can play some songs without looking at the fret board which I never knew I could do.

Also I've convinced a lass I'm dating to buy a guitar lol so that if she learns a little bit we can play together. Now I need to convince someone to buy some drums and there I will of formed my own band lol.

So I'm going to try and carry on. And try accept certain things. Thank you all for the time to comment. I shall try not to be such a baby in future.

[quote]Well just to let you know I've given myself a shake and spent a few hours playing. I made a little tune that I actually really like. And I've discovered I can play some songs without looking at the fret board which I never knew I could do.

Also I've convinced a lass I'm dating to buy a guitar lol so that if she learns a little bit we can play together. Now I need to convince someone to buy some drums and there I will of formed my own band lol.

So I'm going to try and carry on. And try accept certain things. Thank you all for the time to comment. I shall try not to be such a baby in future. [/quote]

Well give the lass a treat and go find some live music tonight! Mustang (heavy rock/metal) are that the Railway Tavern in Darlo, but if that is not your bag then the Link magazine (free PDF download here) http://www.cultfound.org/thelink.htm lists loads of folk/ RnB gigs in the area, there are maybe 20 on tonight within a half hour drive. I find getting out and watching other bands helps me too as I can watch and learn from them, and sometimes sit there thinking "well I can play that at least as well!"

Cheers,
Rich

I've just come back to playing after a break of nearly 20 years.....FIRST thing i did was contact my old drummer and a guitarist mate for a few rehearsals......i booked up the rehearsal studio and i will pay for it too because jamming properly in a rehearsal room for a few hours can be some of the best education and practice you can do! It's a surefire way of renewing your enthusiasm too!

Keep the faith.....

If you feel that your playing has hit a wall you should probably take a break and return to playing when you feel like it. I took a break that lasted 6 years, but after i picked up the instrument again its basicly the inly thing i can think of.

Long post alert! And need to say this.
Well I've been learning to play for a year now. And I at first really enjoyed it and up until Xmas I practiced a lot. I love bass from many points of view. However recently and despite buying a new bass too, I've suffered from bass playing melancholy I love looking at the bass but am not In anyway enjoying playing or practicing. I've lately made a few short little bass tunes which is cool I guess and have felt more comfortable playing and made little advances in playing too. Interestingly I've also been not interested in music as I once was.

In part I blame this on not being able to give enough dedication, as it's very much a side hobby and I think I would need professional help/lessons to correct my bad technique.

I'm competitive and if I don't feel like I'm going to be a certain standard in something then I guess I sack it off. And my expectations in playing are not that high.

I don't want to give up. But frankly I don't want to waste my time if I just feel frustrated. I'm also extremely skint (again) and what little cash I would raise would come in handy.

[/quote]

One or 2 points:

It can be difficult to put the time and effort into playing bass outside of the context of a band, and having a bit of fun with your mates. That's when playing is most enjoyable, and that's when you'll progress the most.

I wouldn't like to think that after 30 years playing that you would still be of an intermediate level. Something is certainly wrong with whatever your mate is doing, I reckon.

I know how it is, though. I've hardly spent more than a few hours playing bass this entire year so far. The important thing is, though, that if my mate phones me today and says "Bring your bass over, and we'll have a jam", I can lift my bass and go have some fun with it - that's what it's there for!