Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

I just bought a Fodera YY standard from Bassgear, no 87 actually. The photos on the web didn't actually show how worn In it was..but I knew it was preowned just didn't expect it to be as beaten in as it is. So...I was wondering..even after me paying nearly £3500 preowned is this bass going to hold its value even with all the dinks and scratches from a heavy handed, maybe neglectful past owner? Definitely worth the money best bass I've ever played to date, not to mention the variety of tones and workability is on another level. At the minute I'm a little concerned all that money went on a bass that if I ever decided to sell it I probably wouldn't get back....Cheers folks

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1393800620' post='2384566']
Depends how bad you are talking, got any pics?

If you ordered it online and are not happy with it you can always send it back, that's what the distance selling regulations are for!
[/quote]

Atm as the mrs is asleep probably wise to leave the pics until tomorrow. Let's just say with the YYS being painted half black there's a lot of wear around the knobs. I can definitely say the guy was a pick player, by the marks it's left it looks like he was using a pretty hefty gauge pick

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1393802272' post='2384580']
Congrats, I'm sure if you've got the cash for one then they're worth it but sadly out of most peoples price range. All the vids I've seen of them have amazing tone.

You might want to update your 'interests' line under your name now though :)
[/quote]

Ah yes! Forgot about that! I'm not sure id trust a luthier in my area with it. The guitar store staff in my area are all absolute idiots and have no idea how to treat guitars of this quality. An idiot in a shop near me by the name "Pete Oakley music" is an absolute ****! Took my Sadowsky in for a full setup and he said "cheap Chinese manufactured bass" I could've picked up a strat and beat some sense into him with it.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393804347' post='2384605']
Ah yes! Forgot about that! I'm not sure id trust a luthier in my area with it. The guitar store staff in my area are all absolute idiots and have no idea how to treat guitars of this quality. An idiot in a shop near me by the name "Pete Oakley music" is an absolute ****! Took my Sadowsky in for a full setup and he said "cheap Chinese manufactured bass" I could've picked up a strat and beat some sense into him with it.
[/quote]

Where there is no sense, there is no feeling.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393800369' post='2384563']
I just bought a Fodera YY standard from Bassgear, no 87 actually. The photos on the web didn't actually show how worn In it was..but I knew it was preowned just didn't expect it to be as beaten in as it is. So...I was wondering..even after me paying nearly £3500 preowned is this bass going to hold its value even with all the dinks and scratches from a heavy handed, maybe neglectful past owner? Definitely worth the money best bass I've ever played to date, not to mention the variety of tones and workability is on another level. At the minute I'm a little concerned all that money went on a bass that if I ever decided to sell it I probably wouldn't get back....Cheers folks
[/quote]

Sometimes you just have to get what you want and not even consider future resale price. All that matters now is that you have a fantastic bass that you think was a worthwhile purchase at the price you paid. I can't see how thinking about future resale at this point is going to help you enjoy it.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1393809737' post='2384640']

Sometimes you just have to get what you want and not even consider future resale price. All that matters now is that you have a fantastic bass that you think was a worthwhile purchase at the price you paid. I can't see how thinking about future resale at this point is going to help you enjoy it.

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

I suppose not. I just don't want to feel the money I spent has been wasted if I was to consider reselling. It's an absolute cracker though. I'd just like to tart it up abit and get rid of that dang p pickup!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393810326' post='2384642']
Most of you will cringe at what I'm about to say but if this was to go to a luthier I'd have that p pickup out for good and have it routed for something like a nordstrand j pickup maybe, Or a humbucker, I can't stand p pups. Any of you reckon it'd be possible?
[/quote]

You want to mod the hell out of this thing, and you worry about the effect of some wear on the resale value? :lol:
You'd better decide whether this is a definite keeper or not before you ask anyone to even [i]point[/i] at it with a router :)

Most of you will cringe at what I'm about to say but if this was to go to a luthier I'd have that p pickup out for good and have it routed for something like a nordstrand j pickup maybe, Or a humbucker, I can't stand p pups. Any of you reckon it'd be possible?
[/quote]

If you're worried about possible future resale value, it seems strange that you're considering taking a third of the instrument's value away by having it routed for a pickup despite the possibility of improving the sound :blink:

If you want your money back, leave it as original spec.

I think adding a new pickup would be a piece of cake for a good luthier. However if you are concerned about resale prices then I can't see how taking a high end bass like that away from being completely original would help you get a good price. On the plus side, it may be what needs to happen to make it a confirmed keeper which then removes the problem. :-)

Jazzyvee

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1393831740' post='2384678']
You want to mod the hell out of this thing, and you worry about the effect of some wear on the resale value? :lol:
You'd better decide whether this is a definite keeper or not before you ask anyone to even [i]point[/i] at it with a router :)
[/quote]

Got to go with this sentiment...

But if you want a refin, you need to be talking to people who know and about these things and work at around the same standard.
The only ones I know are..or the 1st place I would go to are Sims...if you are after retaining value,
Not sure butchering the pickup would achieve that, tho...

As your friendly local Fodera dealer I thought I'd better chip in here with a few thoughts as well.

In no particular order:

These Fodera Standards hold their value extremely well. If you consider that your one dropped just 15% from the new price as a used bass and something like an 'off the shelf' Fender standard J would fall 30% then you get an idea.

Once that first dip of depreciation has gone they pretty much hold value and don't go any further. In fact there's a private sale one here on BC at £3,400 right now.

The black finish on the YY basses can get marked because it doesn't have a thick coat of high gloss over it. Because these basses are closely associated with Vic Wooten (he keeps his one at his Bass Camp) you find they are often slapped and played quite hard.

I've seen one of Vic's basses up really close and they are covered in dings and marks. He's very tough on instruments and all of his are heavily worn. The YY basses really are 'player's instruments' - they do look amazing but they are very much designed to be used and not just hung on a wall.

From a personal point of view they are my favourite sounding if the Standard range and have loads of tonal flexibility.

The key to 'understanding' a Fodera is to really get your head round that Mike Pope designed pre-amp. The active controls combined with the lovely smooth passive treble roll off give loads of different tonal options. I was very much a J only player until I got my first Fodera with a PJ setup.

Cut a little bass, boost the mids a shade, roll back the balance towards the bridge and there's some cracking J tones. Roll the passive treble right back, maybe boost bass a bit and bias toward the P and there's a great old school P bass rock/funk tone available.

I tend to hold the pass treble cut mid way and use it whilst gigging to fine tune my sound - it really is a killer little device.

The YY series particularly comes to life at stage volume. Again, it really is a proper gigging bass and can cut through a live band mix really well or sit back and hold a groove depending on how you set the pre-amp (obviously your fingers and amplification are going to have a lot of effect too!).

Personally I wouldn't re-rout one if you're worried about future value. People expect these basses to be 'played', at least that's very much our experience in the shop, but they also expect them to have the original spec pickups and electronics. The only exception to this rule might be if Fodera bring out new pickup or pre options in the future but I think this is highly unlikely with the Standard range for a long while.

If it were mine I'd really work that pre-amp for a while and try to get it out with your band and see how it sounds live.

Any problems at all just zap us a message or call the shop and we'll be happy to help :)

PS - Apologies if I'm biased about these basses but I just bought a new one at the weekend as well and have had a ludicrous grin from ear to ear ever since. I just love playing them, absolutely my favourite basses ever (and I get to play a lot!).

The thing is - if you had seen it in the shop & not been happy with the condition - would you have still paid the price?

If the answer is no - then you have every right to send it back under the distance selling regulations & get your money back.

I think in terms of 'holding value' it probably will if you don't mess around with the pickups, how quickly you will ever sell it again is another thing. If you were looking for a rock solid investment I think an old Fender would have done you better and you seem to be a fan of fender and jazz type basses judging by your signature.

I think other people on here have hit the nail on the head, your obviously shocked by its condition, and perhaps wouldn't have bought it had you seen in in the flesh before hand. You also seem to have such a huge dislike for P pickups, so much so you are going to modify a £3500 bass. I guess my point is, for £3500 you could have any number of outstanding builders build you exactly what you want, Alleva, Sadowsky, Sei, Overwater, Lull etc, so why buy a bass that isn't perfect for you and try and make it fit?

I think you coming on here is a big sign that you are trying to convince yourself its worth holding onto, I could be wrong I don't know you personally but that is what comes across to me. I would send it back.

[/quote]
You're right...I'm cringing at the suggestion. From an objective point of view I would say that this would be a huge mistake.

However it belongs to you...