Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1393869831' post='2385313']
Or as it is also known in some parts of the world, the Chipboard Or Even MDF Tree :ph34r: ;)
[/quote]

I've seen Bongo bodies without any paint on and they were definitely solid wood. Also , the USA G&L L2500 five string basses used to ( and still may) be made out of tilia to try and keep the weight down. They were definitely not plywood or chipboard , either, and they sounded superb.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393870141' post='2385319']
Usually why you find basswood bodies are usually painted, or topped with a nicer wood like some G & L's.. i won't go into what wood sounds good debate, but imo sounds just as good as any other with high quality pickups, and good strings.
[/quote]

Yes, totally agree.

A lot of high-end, expensive super-Strat style guitars are opting for chambered basswood bodies nowadays because the resonance is so good. I remember even back in the 1980's, the Ibanez Alan Holdsworth signature model had a basswood body because after exhaustive testing Alan thought it sounded better than anything else.

i awlays wondered what a bass made out of MDF would actually sound like with high quality pickups etc, as it has such an even density throughout. ? just a thought. not sure how much of a percentage of the wood is glue mind. and how that would effect sound.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1393870477' post='2385323']
Here's all the data on basswood [url="http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/basswood/"]http://www.wood-data...woods/basswood/[/url] - the area it performs less well in is hardness (so dents rather more easily than other tonewoods).
[/quote]

It interesting reading these technical assessments of the properties of different woods that in fact hardness and stiffness are not the actually same thing. I'm sure Mrs Dingus might have something to say about that, but I don't really want to get into that right now. :ph34r:

Basswood or Lime is a wonderful wood to work with. It cuts beautifully and holds a line, it is one of the favourite woods of carvers because it holds detail so well and doesn't split along the grain easily. It's one down side is that, as hard woods go, it is fairly light and so will mark more easily than denser woods. Any resemblance to MDF etc is wrong, lime is a specific group of trees, MDF is wood sweepings and glue! Furniture is not something I would use basswood/lime for, the very characteristics that make it great for carving and instruments don't work for furniture.

Whilst not as expensive as some hardwoods it's nowhere like as cheap as it once was and large, clear pieces such as used by carvers and instrument makers are getting more expensive.

I use it for complex solid jigsaws, jewelry and making whistles and recorders (although it's beena while since I last made one).

Steve

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393870838' post='2385329']
i awlays wondered what a bass made out of MDF would actually sound like with high quality pickups etc, as it has such an even density throughout. ? just a thought. not sure how much of a percentage of the wood is glue mind. and how that would effect sound.
[/quote]

It would probably sound better than you might think. Conversely, there are plenty of basses made from very dense exotic woods that are dead as door nails in terms of resonance.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393870838' post='2385329']
[/quote]

Would probably depend on the MDF. Not all MDFs are created equal and not all of them are that consistent. I occasionally have to cut MDF with a fretsaw (usually about an inch thick) and the blade I have to use varies up to 5 sizes depending who made it. Even a single company will have several densities and compositions of board and that's not allowing for the variable quality of some makers within type. In the UK the best of the makers is probably MEDITE (based in Ireland) who also make Low and No Formaldahyde boards which is what I would use for an instrument. Caber Products stuff is hard as nails and blunts blades and router bits at a scary rate.

Steve

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1393869152' post='2385298']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can only repeat:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'The meaning of your communication is the response you get'. [/font][/color]
[/quote]
Peter....now I know that you know that we know that you are speaking my language now!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393865342' post='2385217']
You don't know what respect is.
[/quote]

Believe me, I know what respect is.

You have a beautiful instrument, the finish can be restored somewhat. I just couldn't understand why, when Fodera say all the components are chosen for perfect balance, you would want to route it and swap the pickup when you've already said you are perfectly happy with it and stated some wishy washy reasons for hating Precision pickups.

I said you didn't know what basswood was because from your post it appeared you did not. Most of us are not keen on fiction posted as fact because it is misleading and can lead people to make bad decisions.

I hope you enjoy your delightful new bass.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393876993' post='2385432']

Believe me, I know what respect is.

You have a beautiful instrument, the finish can be restored somewhat. I just couldn't understand why, when Fodera say all the components are chosen for perfect balance, you would want to route it and swap the pickup when you've already said you are perfectly happy with it and stated some wishy washy reasons for hating Precision pickups.

I said you didn't know what basswood was because from your post it appeared you did not. Most of us are not keen on fiction posted as fact because it is misleading and can lead people to make bad decisions.

I hope you enjoy your delightful new bass.
[/quote]

Taking an unfriendly tone with me over a matter that is purely my own whether I swap out pickups or not is quite disrespectful. I love chatting to fellow bassists and just picking at me about random points I've made earlier is kinda immature. Either way, thanks.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393876993' post='2385432']
Most of us are not keen on fiction posted as fact because it is misleading and can lead people to make bad decisions.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more but most of us would like to read through these threads without having to skip through pages of nonsense caused by someone who decided to be proactive, rude, patronising and (appearing) arrogant rather than questioning such 'fiction as fact' in a more polite way that would highlight its potential lack of validity sensibly (i.e. being respectful).

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1393877406' post='2385439']

Couldn't agree more but most of us would like to read through these threads without having to skip through pages of nonsense caused by someone who decided to be proactive, rude, patronising and (appearing) arrogant rather than questioning such 'fiction as fact' in a more polite way that would highlight its potential lack of validity in a sensibly (i.e. being respectful).
[/quote]

Amen to that dude.

I don't know about the standard series basses, but the satin type finish achieved is done by taking back the gloss finish by hand (I think with something mildly abrasive like wire wool), and if you hold it into the light, you will see the swirls where it was done. As a result points of contact start to polish up after time - at least they have on my Monarch. If you contact Fodera they'll almost certainly be pleased to advise you what can be done to restore it ( I expect just take it back again with wire wool). FWIW I wouldn't bother as it'll eventually polish up again if you play it much.

I rang with some queries about my bass a few years ago and on the first occasion spoke to Joey, and then to Vinnie himself. They are entirely fabulous to deal with.

Edited by Mokl

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1393877406' post='2385439']
Couldn't agree more but most of us would like to read through these threads without having to skip through pages of nonsense caused by someone who decided to be proactive, rude, patronising and (appearing) arrogant rather than questioning such 'fiction as fact' in a more polite way that would highlight its potential lack of validity sensibly (i.e. being respectful).
[/quote]
[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393877375' post='2385438']
Taking an unfriendly tone with me over a matter that is purely my own whether I swap out pickups or not is quite disrespectful. I love chatting to fellow bassists and just picking at me about random points I've made earlier is kinda immature. Either way, thanks.
[/quote]

OK sorry guys.

As a habitual modder and tinkerer, I can see what the OP is about here. It is indeed a ballsy move to even suggest that you might be less than 100% happy with such a high end instrument, but it is yours to do with what you will. Certain members of certain forums may round up the posse and load up the crossbow if you do so much as change the scratchplate (I'm looking at you R*ckenbacker owners) but you should treat that as the trivial irritation that it is. If you do go ahead and mod the Fodera, be prepared for a fairly sizeable drop in resale value. people expect certain things from an instrument like that and if they ain't there, they'll look elsewhere or expect a hefty reduction in the asking price.

I do get the feeling that you're not entirely comfortable with the bass tho'. It may be a beautiful, boutique instrument but if it doesn't feel right to you then rather than tweak and twiddle with it to (hopefully) make it right, it may be an idea to let it go. That kind of money would buy you another beautiful instrument (or several pretty darn good ones). To use a horrible cliche "at the end of the day" it's your property and you are at liberty to screw four legs to it and use it as a coffee table if you wish. But it will never be the best coffee table for metal.

(PS: No offence intended to Ric owners and I have had lifelong 4001 GAS brought on by a teenage Rush obsession. It's just that Ric owners can be a little...intense)

Ok folks just to clarify as I stated earlier, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BASS!!!! In no way do I regret the purchase and the bass is in no doubt going to be a keeper anyway. I am perfectly happy and will no doubt look into abit of refurb work on bits here and there, as I am a light touch it will be looked after, even when being gigged. The very lovely people at bassgear emailed me concerned because of some of you guys! Plus gave me some advice direct from Fodera to help sort bits of the finish. I apologise if I gave off in any way that I am dissatisfied, I'm not. I'm going to play it to death. As for the pickup config, I wouldn't of spent this much if I didn't know it sounded good, or that I wasn't 100% happy with pickup config etc? I wasn't the one to say I wasn't happy because undoubtably as a bass player, I am on cloud 9. As I said I have played one of these briefly before and was very impressed, as I am with mine, playability and sound is impeccable and unmatchable. As we all know Fodera are the bees knees and I wouldn't expect any less. In no way am I dissatisfied that it has a p pickup, it was a thought, that's all, I asked for opinions and I obviously got them. I am just not a fan of P pickups in general. Just being honest. If I was to swap it out/have it routed I know resale value would obviously be hindered. It won't be happening anyway, I doubt I could trust anyone taking a router to it, but the thought had been on my mind and I've been pondering on it for quite a while as it's something of a unique quality. And no, to everyone earlier on I am most definitely not sending it back. I think I am at the point where you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands :P

Just to clarify aswell, extremely happy with bassgear, the service, the delivery, everything. They are fantastic people and I am quite content to give them my custom. I will be buying my gear,strings etc solely from them from now on. Cannot express how happy I am with bassgear and can't apologise enough for them getting the wrong impression because some bc'ers were trying to put words in my mouth. Extremely chuffed honestly.

Edited by JazzBassfreak