Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393882333' post='2385515']
Ok folks just to clarify as I stated earlier, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BASS!!!! In no way do I regret the purchase and the bass is in no doubt going to be a keeper anyway. I am perfectly happy and will no doubt look into abit of refurb work on bits here and there, as I am a light touch it will be looked after, even when being gigged. The very lovely people at bassgear emailed me concerned because of some of you guys! Plus gave me some advice direct from Fodera to help sort bits of the finish. I apologise if I gave off in any way that I am dissatisfied, I'm not. I'm going to play it to death. As for the pickup config, I wouldn't of spent this much if I didn't know it sounded good, or that I wasn't 100% happy with pickup config etc? I wasn't the one to say I wasn't happy because undoubtably as a bass player, I am on cloud 9. As I said I have played one of these briefly before and was very impressed, as I am with mine, playability and sound is impeccable and unmatchable. As we all know Fodera are the bees knees and I wouldn't expect any less. In no way am I dissatisfied that it has a p pickup, it was a thought, that's all, I asked for opinions and I obviously got them. I am just not a fan of P pickups in general. Just being honest. If I was to swap it out/have it routed I know resale value would obviously be hindered. It won't be happening anyway, I doubt I could trust anyone taking a router to it, but the thought had been on my mind and I've been pondering on it for quite a while as it's something of a unique quality.

Just to clarify aswell, extremely happy with bassgear, the service, the delivery, everything. They are fantastic people and I am quite content to give them my custom. I will be buying my gear,strings etc solely from them from now on. Cannot express how happy I am with bass gear and can't apologise enough for them getting the wrong impression because some bc'ers were trying to put words in my mouth. Extremely chuffed honestly.
[/quote]

Well it seems that in this post the OP has moved considerably from his first post as the bass is now a keeper, so resale value does not apply.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1393883126' post='2385521']

Well it seems that in this post the OP has moved considerably from his first post as the bass is now a keeper, so resale value does not apply.
[/quote]

Of Course it applies! I'm going to keep it yes but I still wanted to know if the dinks would hinder the resale value. That was the original point of this thread remember? Barrie from bassgear kindly enlightened me anyway, preowned Fodera's dinks or not, hold their value. Which is very good to know.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393884098' post='2385535']
Of Course it applies! I'm going to keep it yes but I still wanted to know if the dinks would hinder the resale value. That was the original point of this thread remember? Barrie from bassgear kindly enlightened me anyway, preowned Fodera's dinks or not, hold their value. Which is very good to know.
[/quote]

Well then keep it if its a keeper, play the s**t out of it and if you decide to sell down the road you will get what its worth, pure and simple. We all know Foderas hold their value, as they are highly desirable and yours will be no different, provided you forget about re routing the p pick up cavity. Going down that road will definitely be a game changer.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1393886221' post='2385571']

Well then keep it if its a keeper, play the s**t out of it and if you decide to sell down the road you will get what its worth, pure and simple. We all know Foderas hold their value, as they are highly desirable and yours will be no different, provided you forget about re routing the p pick up cavity. Going down that road will definitely be a game changer.
[/quote]

Yeah definitely it's not that I can't get on with it, it's just in general it wouldn't be my first choice to have in the neck position if that makes sense? It's extremely versatile though literally this thing will sound great in absolutely anything. Don't think any less of me but yesterday I was giving it the "Metallica test" which few basses pass for me. But EMG's + Fodera = match made in heaven.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

Interesting topic. I know nothing about Fodera, so i am learning a lot from this about basses. I would love to have £3500 to spend on a bass.By the souind of it, you have got a good instrument for the money Glad you are happy with it, it looks nice

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1393886660' post='2385576']
Interesting topic. I know nothing about Fodera, so i am learning a lot from this about basses. I would love to have £3500 to spend on a bass.By the souind of it, you have got a good instrument for the money Glad you are happy with it, it looks nice
[/quote]

Thanks mate! Yup very proud. I noticed on YouTube there's not actually too many decent demos of them, apart from one by Bassclubchicago, so I may put a demo up at some point :)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393886522' post='2385575']
Yeah definitely it's not that I can't get on with it, it's just in general it wouldn't be my first choice to have in the neck position if that makes sense? It's extremely versatile though literally this thing will sound great in absolutely anything. Don't think any less of me but yesterday I was giving it the "Metallica test" which few basses pass for me. But EMG's + Fodera = match made in heaven.
[/quote]

£3500 purchase of a used bass that does not give you first choice pick up configuration ( a pretty fundamental requirement IMO) is, well unusual IME. Best of luck with it though.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393870191' post='2385321']
I can come to an assumption mass produced basses maybe have that. That's probably why it looks like MDF & chip board. I must say though, I've never seen anything of low quality from fender or Squier. No matter how cheap, the bodies are always a good hefty chunk of real solid wood. From a wood tree. That's most probably more than not, made of wood.
[/quote] hmmm... I had someone in the industry tell me the Fender USA solid finish bodies would be made of up to 4 bits of alder while the sunburst would be 3 maximum so you were best going for sunburst- a few years back now. Danelectros are made of MDF. Ever played them they sound wicked. Ok not on the same level as your nice new bass but pretty good!
[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393886522' post='2385575']
[/quote]

So would you say,

categorically,

that it's good for metal? :D :)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393884098' post='2385535']
Of Course it applies! I'm going to keep it yes but I still wanted to know if the dinks would hinder the resale value.
[/quote]
I understand the point of this thread less and less as it goes on.

Well, if nothing else I have learnt something from this thread. I was under the same misapprehension about Basswood as the OP!

Enjoy the Fodera, absolutely cracking instruments. However, speaking as someone who compulsively mods most basses that pass thru my hands – even I wouldn’t take a router to a £3.5k Fodera…!

About basses being made of MDF. Has anyone who thinks this this ever picked up a bass body sized bit of MDF and realised how much it weighs?

Edited to add, just did some research, it's usually chambered it seems.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1393919952' post='2385716']
OMG, I realise that I now have Fodera GAS :D
[/quote]

I go through periods of thinking I'd quite like one... Then I see something like the single cut they had on the bass gear stand at the weekend and I come to my senses. God that thing was ugly, looked like an expensive ironing board with strings.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393920067' post='2385717']

I go through periods of thinking I'd quite like one... Then I see something like the single cut they had on the bass gear stand at the weekend and I come to my senses. God that thing was ugly, looked like an expensive ironing board with strings.
[/quote]

Was that the six string or the five?

I used to think the six, which is an Anthony Jackson model, wasn't the most attractive thing around until I played it.

May sound crazy but my opinion of its looks totally changed after spending half an hour with it.

Maybe it's a bit like having wonderful sex with a woman you thought wasn't very attractive - once you've experienced it you have to keep going back for more :)

I should say "as your local Fodera dealer" (referenced in my initial comment on this thread just in case anyone thinks this is in any way misleading), we can't actually sell these models. They are so complicated to build that Fodera only take direct orders.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393924289' post='2385766']
Maybe it's a bit like having wonderful sex with a woman you thought wasn't very attractive - once you've experienced it you have to keep going back for more :)
[/quote]

Is this more likely to happen to me if I buy a Fodera? If so I'm in.... :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393933948' post='2385914']
Is this more likely to happen to me if I buy a Fodera? If so I'm in.... :mellow:
[/quote]

Ask Dave Swift - it's his bass :rolleyes:

I think, in his case, the answer is probably a resounding yes :D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393924289' post='2385766']

[/quote]

Is there something you want to tell us about, Barrie? :D

...because if there is, we're here for you:

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393934312' post='2385921']
Ask Dave Swift - it's his bass :rolleyes:

I think, in his case, the answer is probably a resounding yes :D
[/quote]

Who's Dave Swift? :unsure:

To be honest I can't possibly knock a successful top end brand like Fodera. The aesthetics aren't for me, which being shallow puts me right off buying one before I've even played it, but that's obviously just a matter of preference. I don't think the quality of their instruments is ever in doubt.

Also, being such a prestigious brand people gravitate towards them at shows like this to see what all the fuss is about.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393920067' post='2385717']
[/quote]

It just goes to show you how tastes can differer, because I think that AJ Presentation model is absolutely beautiful, and have done right from the first moment I saw it. I like the way that essentially it is styled like an acoustic guitar, albeit a very big one. The new hollow body Fodera is even more exquisite.

I need a 36 inch scale six string like I need a hole in the head , but I can't help but admire the aesthetic beauty of the design and the way that the body shape references the conceptual ideas behind that bass, i.e that it relies on its' acoustic properties more than its' electrical ones in order to produce its' remarkable tone. . Some of the other single cuts look good to me, too, like Richard Bona's bass.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393935644' post='2385947']
It just goes to show you how tastes can differer, because I think that AJ Presentation model is absolutely beautiful, and have done right from the first moment I saw it. I like the way that essentially it is styled like an acoustic guitar, albeit a very big one. The new hollow body Fodera is even more exquisite.

I need a 36 inch scale six string like I need a hole in the head , but I can't help but admire the aesthetic beauty of the design and the way that the body shape references the conceptual ideas behind that bass, i.e that it relies on its' acoustic properties more than its' electrical ones in order to produce its' remarkable tone. . Some of the other single cuts look good to me, too, like Richard Bona's bass.
[/quote]

Very true that... Taste is obvioiusly subjective but quality is undeniable.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship that's gone in to a bass regardless of it's resemblence to an ironing board...

Edited by CamdenRob