Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender shops in London?

Diablo

Might be off to London for a couple of days later this week with the aim of coming back with a vintage Fender. I've got 3 shops on my list, are there any more worth a visit? I'm not interested in new stuff, only good quality vintage.

Wunjo - seems to have some but limited selection
Andy Baxter - Good stock but need appointment and not currently answering phone
Bass Gallery - phone numbers are dead so don't know if they still exist

Any more worth a visit?

Cheers,
Rich

Chandler Guitars in Kew might have a few, their site only shows one 80s Fender on there right now but it's worth giving them a call just in case their site is not up to date. I popped in there once and they had a few to choose from:

http://www.chandlerguitars.co.uk/bassespreowned.php?brand_name=Fender

[quote]No wish to de-rail your thread, Diablo, but you'll probably a find a better selection (and better prices) here on Basschat! [/quote]

Very true, but in the absence of my deep knowledge on such things the ability to visit London, talk to people who know their onions, try several out and do it all on 2 days means I can make the most of a visit and hopefully come home with something. GAS and the sale of some stuff recently has taken over me....!

Thanks for the shops above, looks like an afternoon on the phone and email and line up some visits.

What I really want is an original 1974 J-bass, but there are none on the forum hence my shop search.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393325790' post='2378653']
Very true, but in the absence of my deep knowledge on such things the ability to visit London, talk to people who know their onions, try several out and do it all on 2 days means I can make the most of a visit and hopefully come home with something. GAS and the sale of some stuff recently has taken over me....!

Thanks for the shops above, looks like an afternoon on the phone and email and line up some visits.

What I really want is an original 1974 J-bass, but there are none on the forum hence my shop search.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

I'm sure I recently saw a 74 J on here.

[quote]But the Denmark Street shop is still there, it's changed owners but is otherwise much the same place as before.

The owner (Ron) has been around for ever. Previously he was Brian's right-hand man at Wunjo's. [/quote]

I see Wunjo are on Denmark St. Any idea of the name of the place that used to be Vintage & Rare?

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1393331972' post='2378763']
Andy Baxter will be at the London Bass Show this weekend as far as I'm aware .... Don't miss the show. Last year I noticed a lot of vintage basses on his stand
[/quote]

Yep - Andy will be at LBGS this weekend. He's on he stand right next to the BassGear / BassChat one so a good location to see som nice basses and meet people :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393325348' post='2378640']
No wish to de-rail your thread, Diablo, but you'll probably a find a better selection (and better prices) here on Basschat!
[/quote]

Absolutely, and at FAR lower prices. Whatever you buy in a store in London will be 50-100% mark up on what you'd pay here, and if you decide you don't like it in a month's time you'll lose a lot of cash.

Buy here, the range is a good, the trust is as good (there's a few stores don't know an all original from a bitsa) and you'll nearly always get back what you paid.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1393371230' post='2379584']
You're paying one hell of a premium buying any instrument in London (they have to pay the overhead somehow).

Steve
[/quote]
+1

I live in London and London shops would be the last place i'd look for a bass guitar.

On saying that i have found a couple of good deals but they are very few and far between.

I cannot attend the show, but I do not think that is right place to buy anything really. Too many people and too much noise.

You have to seek to find. There has not been anything on the forum to float my boat in the last few months, but there are half a dozen on sale now in London that I am interested in. Appointments made, will report back later.
As for price and value, well that is for the buyer to decide right?

Cheers
Rich

I visited Andy Baxter the other day in my quest for a Ric, and he had plenty of Fenders in there. He travels a lot, probably buying stock, but I did get and answer from his land line listed on his web site. Don't worry about the appointment bit, it's because he does not have a shop front and you need to make a time so you can find the place. It's a veritable cavern of interestingness when you get in there, and it's well worth a visit. Andy is also a stand-up dude and very easy going.

So he gets a thumbs up from me :i-m_so_happy:

Potentially adding to your journey, this guy knows his stuff and can usually source things if you are looking for something specific http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm I believe he posts stuff too.

I agree re Basschat that it wouldn't hurt to list the 74 Jazz in the Items Wanted - you never know. I've done the whole 70s Fender search and owned some real gems. Good luck and have fun.